Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    How does Reva last a week in a military that is as big on punishing insubordination as the Empire?
    By being a devoted asset to the theocracy that runs the military outside the regular chain of command, especially when the Empire being inherently corrupt is a feature, not a flaw.

Vader himself is her superior and has a tendency towards rewarding initiative that accomplishes his goals just as much as he does punishing failure - if he personally is satisfied that she managed to roust Kenobi, he may not care that she stabbed the GI.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Nice prequel recap. I guess it was too serious to throw in a "hello there."

Starting off with an Order 66 scene right off the bat, huh. I was wondering what purpose that scene served but if it's Reva's origin it might explain a few things.

Obi-Wan doing mundane labor before his crazy hermit act was kind of surreal.

The best thing I can say about Rupert Friend is he does a good Jason Isaacs impression. But maybe the fact that he's not actually Jason Isaac's explains the ending...?

Does Reva not have an Inquisitor helmet/hat?

Poor young Jedi dude. He didn't deserve that...

I guess some things really are genetic, like piloting skills or wanting to Podrace.

Owen being serious about taking care of Luke and keeping him safe, Obi-Wan or no Obi-Wan.

It was nice to see more of Alderaan. It makes Naboo look like a vacation home. And to get to see Breha finally realized in live-action and to see more of Bail.

So I see Leia was absolutely savage even as a young child. Although she's still only marginally smarter and more clever than your average child, as poor Ben realizes.

I see Obi-Wan has made it a habit of becoming the only hope for the Organa family.

Threepio cameo!

That disheveled Clone begging for credits has got to be one of the saddest things I have seen. They're like poor Vietnam vets. Although the physical Clone suit was nice.

Kumail Nanjani and his obvious comedy relief character took me out of it a little, but it was an interesting twist that he actually helped Obi-Wan instead of betraying him, but I kind of would've wanted more of an explanation as to why.

Reva is trying to punch far outside her weight. If Obi-Wan doesn't end up dealing with her, Vader will probably kill her.

I guess nothing shows off how rusty Ben is than to see him struggling against lower-class thugs. I guess that might also be how they justify him struggling against Inquisitors.

I wonder if Obi-Wan was reminded of Padme or Satine when he saw Leia. Or maybe both?

Did...did they kill off Grand Inquisitor? Was that just a flesh wound? Like, what? How!? Wait, are there now two Grand Inquisitors? They just look similar? Is she just going to get away with that? I just...how ?

I do think it's kind of funny that they brought Hayden back and he's going to be unrecognizable 99% of the time unless we get Clone Wars flashbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Also, I don't understand why people are upset that the Inquisitors know Vader used to be Anakin. He basically personally trained them. Almost all of them used to be Jedi. Why hide what half of them likely know already?
    I doubt Vader would be freely revealing to the Inquisitors who he used to be (he treats Anakin Skywalker like he's dead) and unless they were all younglings who trained or personally served alongside Anakin to recognize his fighting/teaching style...but Vader is so different that probably wouldn't suffice.

Like, maybe Reva looked into it because she wanted to know who Vader was or the Inquisitors gossiped about who Vader might be, but I always got the sense Grand Inquisitor might've been the only one who actually knew who Vader was.

Am I right in thinking that Obi-Wan's "warning system" outside his cave is R2 buried in the sand?
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Am I right in thinking that Obi-Wan's "warning system" outside his cave is R2 buried in the sand?
    I dont think it is. R2 and C3po went with Bail at the end of RotS. And Bail gave them to Captain Antilles. It could be another R2 unit. But I doubt its R2 D2
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont think it is. R2 and C3po went with Bail at the end of RotS. And Bail gave them to Captain Antilles. It could be another R2 unit. But I doubt its R2 D2
    Ah right. I remember C3P0 with Bail asking for his memory to be wiped but couldn't remember what happened to R2. I'm due a rewatch!
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    If I start thinking about that then the fault is with the writing because the pattern is the same with Reva too - where every Inquisitor was incompetent except for her.
    Where did you get that? Reva wasn't shown as better than the Inquisitors - she's not following orders and has her own agenda, then stabs her superior when he's not expecting it. I don't recall the Inquisitors seeming at all incompetent.

How does Reva last a week in a military that is as big on punishing insubordination as the Empire?
    I imagine Inquisitors are more valued than most, so she probably has a little more leeway than most, but by this point, she knew she had pushed it too far and doubled-down on catching Obi-Wan as her path to Vader (I still think most don't know he's Anakin, and there's a chance she found out on her own and actually wants to kill Anakin, and is just using Obi-Wan as a means to an end - just my theory), and figured she needed to kill the GI rather than deal with the results of her insubordination.

But what about the huge coincidence that Reva and the other Inquisitors were literally 20 yards away from Kenobi just as her plan on the other side of the galaxy succeeds in drawing him to her? They were just chasing Jedi - it's not like that younger Jedi was looking for him and that's how they got so close - he seemed surprised to see Obi-Wan on Tattooine. And for the overall story, Ben's cover has to remain intact, without anyone even suspecting Kenobi was on Tattooine. He's exposed himself now, but nowhere hear Tattooine. I'm actually okay with it - Star Wars was always more fantasy than straight drama and we needed to see those scenes to develop Reva and to see how Ben behaves in hiding. It could have been two separate scenes with the Inquisitors in a different place and different people hunting Jedi on Tattooine, but a tv show has to be economic with time.

Another question I'm sure someone more immersed in this franchise can answer: Have they explained how Luke is fine walking around as "Luke Skywalker" and not gain attention? It's one thing if his aunt and uncle had that name and he was just family, but that's not the case. Or is their farm such a backwater place, nobody ever noticed? (good thing Luke never joined the academy then) With "Ben Kenobi" Obi-Wan only calls himself "Ben." I wonder if Luke knowing him as "Ben Kenobi" might've been an accident somehow, where nobody else knew his last name, but Luke wouldn't think twice about it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-30-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There's a lot of contradictions between the movies and what they've done since. Obi Wan originally told Luke he never owned a droid. We saw in the prequels that wasn't true. Treating Vader and Obi Wan's meeting on the Death Star as the first time since he was a student, for instance. Obi Wan saying that Yoda once trained him which MIGHT be true but we didn't get to see it. Qui Gon was Obi Wan's master. And now the Leia thing. There's also the scene where Obi Wan gives Luke the lightsaber for the first time and said that his father wanted him to have it. His father didn't even know about him. And Obi Wan only had one lightsaber when he came to Tatooine. So where did the other one come from? That poor guy they strung up?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

Another question I'm sure someone more immersed in this franchise can answer: Have they explained how Luke is fine walking around as "Luke Skywalker" and not gain attention? It's one thing if his aunt and uncle had that name and he was just family, but that's not the case. Or is their farm such a backwater place, nobody ever noticed? (good thing Luke never joined the academy then) With "Ben Kenobi" Obi-Wan only calls himself "Ben." I wonder if Luke knowing him as "Ben Kenobi" might've been an accident somehow, where nobody else knew his last name, but Luke wouldn't think twice about it.
    I always thought it odd that they want to hide Luke from Vader but let him keep the same last name. It is not like the Skywalker name is common or even uncommon. it is ultra rare as we have never heard it any where else.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The bigger question is who is braiding Reva's hair? No way she is doing it herself. The fact that the Empire is scouring black salons and barbershops for recruits is disturbing.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I always thought it odd that they want to hide Luke from Vader but let him keep the same last name. It is not like the Skywalker name is common or even uncommon. it is ultra rare as we have never heard it any where else.
    I think it relied on the idea that Vader would avoid Tatooine like the plague because of all the bad memories he associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it relied on the idea that Vader would avoid Tatooine like the plague because of all the bad memories he associated with it.
    I iunderstand that. And it seems logical. But wouldnt an also logical move be to help protect the child 100 percent do everything they can to reach that goal. Changing Luke's last name to Lars and telling him he is Owen and (Cant Spell her name) Barue? Child rather then their nephew.

Mighty Member

From a practical standpoint, they thought Anakin was dead. And the Empire has no meaningful presence on Tatooine. It's as good a spot as any to hide, and Luke isn't the only non-Anakin Skywalker people might have known there. I don't think it's rational to assume Luke would have been under threat.

From a sentimental standpoint, Luke is Obi-wan's last connection to Anakin. His best friend. His brother. He's not going to encourage anybody to change that last name. Even if it was safer.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    From a practical standpoint, they thought Anakin was dead. And the Empire has no meaningful presence on Tatooine. It's as good a spot as any to hide, and Luke isn't the only non-Anakin Skywalker people might have known there. I don't think it's rational to assume Luke would have been under threat.

From a sentimental standpoint, Luke is Obi-wan's last connection to Anakin. His best friend. His brother. He's not going to encourage anybody to change that last name. Even if it was safer.
    If this were true the whole reason for Obi Wan being on Tatooine to protect Luke kind of falls flat.

Perusing the interwebs, it seems like the leading theory that Reva being one of the younglings at the beginning would explain a lot...like how she knows Anakin is Vader since she probably saw him during the temple attack and would give them an excuse to actually show Hayden as Anakin instead of in the Vader suit/makeup.

It would also explain her resentment towards Obi-Wan since he wasn't there to protect any of the younglings.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I iunderstand that. And it seems logical. But wouldnt an also logical move be to help protect the child 100 percent do everything they can to reach that goal. Changing Luke's last name to Lars and telling him he is Owen and (Cant Spell her name) Barue? Child rather then their nephew.
    It's one of those things you mostly just have to ignore. When Star Wars first came out Luke Skywalker wasn't the son of Darth Vader and although he was clearly molded along the idea of King Arthur the name Skywalker itself wasn't supposed to significant or unique.

If you want to you can come up with in universe rationalizations to smooth away the incongruencies that appear with the sequels and prequels, but I find its best to just realize things changed after producing the original and move on.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!