Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yup and it made him look like a dimwit. He can sense luke across space in another ship but can't sense his daughter sitting right next to him for years in the same room or in a tiny room while he is doing awful things to her? You stink at the force vader. Even lego star wars made fun of this!
    During the Prequel Trilogy, much was made of the idea that as the Dark Side and the Sith resurged, it clouded the Jedi's ability to use the Force. Both Yoda and Mace Windu said as much, and they had been in the presence of Palpatine frequently throughout the Prequels and never detected that he was the Sith Lord they had been seeking.

In the Original Trilogy, Palpatine observed that it was strange that while Vader sensed the existence of Luke, he (Palpatine) did not. I think during the Original Trilogy, what happened to the Jedi during the Prequels began to happen in reverse to the Sith: having peaked in REVENGE OF THE SITH and the twenty years that followed, the resurgence of the Light Side and the Jedi limited the Sith's ability to use the Dark Side of the Force.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know about that - 5th Brother is only good in Did small doses with his hammy "I am an evil character" pseudo-Batman voice.
    Did 5th Brother talk like this in Rebels? I honestly can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Apparently Reva is getting her own series and a second series of Obi-Wan is in development according to rumours. Former pretty much confirms she’ll switch sides.
    I have nothing against the actress, stick it to the haters, but is there really an audience for the Reva show? Unless they try to spin her as OT Ventress but I don't think the audience is all that invested in her at this point. Unless they feel like they need more POC leads in SW.

I'm not even sure if this needs a second season.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I like Reva, she's a compelling villain so far. I don't think the fourth ep served her as well as the first three, they need to reveal her back story at this point and get on with what's driving her hatred of the Jedi.
    I feel like this episode should've been more of a breather episode building up to tackling Fortress Inquisitorious so we have time for Obi-Wan to heal from his fight with Vader, get to know the Path people (make Wade a character more than a red shirt before he dies) and make it more convincing when he talks them into helping him.

Maybe use the Bacta Tank sequence for actual Clone Wars flashbacks to make the most out of Hayden while we have him.

And then you can focus more on maybe Reva and Leia bonding and Reva giving out her backstory so we finally get a chance to care about her rather than watch her try and interrogate and torture a 10-year old.

As it is I feel like the episode was too undercooked and almost amateur-ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The writing is definitely up and down, but I think it's an enjoyable show regardless. Hell, despite the inconsistent writing and weak plot points it's better than Boba Fett, better than all three prequels (at least the first two), and better than TLJ and tRoS. Even some of the weak writing still feels very "Star Wars" to me. Let's be honest, it's not like the original films had airtight plots either. Which doesn't forgive or excuse weak writing but at least they're keeping it consistent with other examples of bad writing, know what I mean?

I don't get the Reva hate. Sure, she's not a great character, she's as one dimensional as it gets. But I'm looking at her as less of a character, and more a natural disaster. A lot of dark siders have started out like that, so consumed by their obsessions there's nothing left to them. Kind of like Doomsday from Superman comics; if you expect a character there, you'll be disappointed. But if you look at Doomsday and see a natural disaster in humanoid form, and don't expect anything of it except storms and fury, then you'll be much more entertained.

Reva is just hot rage, and she burns anything in her path, like a forest fire. The actress is doing a good job playing that. I'm actually quite impressed with her performance. It makes me wish she were being given deeper/better material to work with, but as far as storms and fury goes, she's knocking it out of the park. Most of the cast is; the kid who plays Leia is acting her ass off here, I think, and doing an excellent job (especially for one so young).

Didn't say anything about III but that scene where Kenobi sees the Imperial "bumper sticker" on the mole man's speeder...man that brought it home in a way, right? Surprisingly powerful little moment there.
    Vader feels like a more effective natural disaster than Reva.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As it is I feel like the episode was too undercooked and almost amateur-ish...
    It doesn't help that the other times we've seen McGregor as Obi-Wan has been in $200+M budget movies with crazy special effects with him riding giant lizards and doing backflips over lava rivers. Vader is fine because he was never spry - his presence and voice are enough. The bar's comparatively low in terms of how we've seen him use the Force.

Speaking of Vader, I can't believe I never noticed before that Anakin still only had his right arm - which was the one Luke cut off, which means it must have been replaced by a robotic one after he was recovered. Which means that's the one limb the Emperor took off and replaced as opposed to one that Obi-Wan had cut off.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It doesn't help that the other times we've seen McGregor as Obi-Wan has been in $200+M budget movies with crazy special effects with him riding giant lizards and doing backflips over lava rivers. Vader is fine because he was never spry - his presence and voice are enough. The bar's comparatively low in terms of how we've seen him use the Force.

Speaking of Vader, I can't believe I never noticed before that Anakin still only had his right arm - which was the one Luke cut off, which means it must have been replaced by a robotic one after he was recovered. Which means that's the one limb the Emperor took off and replaced as opposed to one that Obi-Wan had cut off.
    Anakin/Vader's right arm/hand has been replaced at least twice: first, after ATTACK OF THE CLONES when Dooku cut off Anakin's original, flesh arm and likely a second time when Vader was installed into the armor for the first time. The first right arm likely took some damage at Mustafar and Palpatine probably supplied Vader with a new one to match his other new cybernetic parts.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Anakin/Vader's right arm/hand has been replaced at least twice: first, after ATTACK OF THE CLONES when Dooku cut off Anakin's original, flesh arm...
    Damn - it's been so long, I friggin' forgot that...

Star Wars loves its robot hands.

All-New Member

Damn - it's been so long, I friggin' forgot that...
    that make two of us.. i feel a kind a old now lol

Anakin's cyborg arm at the end of AOTC is a bit different than the one in ROTS but it's possibly just the same arm with added tech as it was probably rushed. If you look closely it also kind of resembles the skeletal Threepio in TPM which is a nice touch.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

A few observations:

Why doesn't an "impenetrable" Imperial fortress have security cameras? They were counting on those floating droids to catch anyone sneaking in.

Stormtrooper suits don't appear to serve any purpose. They aren't blaster proof, they aren't lightsaber proof, and you can throw someone around in them easily. The only thing they appear to do is block vision.

How were two barely trained pilots able to get that close to this place that's so feared they don't even need shields? You would think that a hub of the Empire would be better protected. Ben and whatsherface had to go through all that security clearance and then two pilots attack the place in a full frontal assault. They shouldn't have even been able to get that close.

I'm beginning to see why the Empire lost. They aren't the most efficient organization. So much of this show seems dependent on plot armor.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    A few observations:

Why doesn't an "impenetrable" Imperial fortress have security cameras? They were counting on those floating droids to catch anyone sneaking in.

Stormtrooper suits don't appear to serve any purpose. They aren't blaster proof, they aren't lightsaber proof, and you can throw someone around in them easily. The only thing they appear to do is block vision.

How were two barely trained pilots able to get that close to this place that's so feared they don't even need shields? You would think that a hub of the Empire would be better protected. Ben and whatsherface had to go through all that security clearance and then two pilots attack the place in a full frontal assault. They shouldn't have even been able to get that close.

I'm beginning to see why the Empire lost. They aren't the most efficient organization. So much of this show seems dependent on plot armor.
    This is probably the most incompetent the Empire has ever appeared and that's saying something looking at them in any Dave Filoni production .

Also didn't they have Star Destroyers posted above the Fortress in Fallen Order?

A few observations:

A lot of the Empire's military is basically quantity over quality. TIE fighters for example, usually don't have shields or hyperdrive, but there's lots of them and they're cheap to make.

Mighty Member

A few observations:

Granted. Though I expect they are relying on that old chestnut "Anybody would have to be CRAZY to try this...

It looks intimidating and it dehumanizes the people wearing it. Making them both more likely to conform, and to go along with atrocities. Don't underestimate the psychology.

Unlike the clones, there is no effort made to protect Stormtroopers. They are expendable. Meant to strike fear and to overwhelm with sheer numbers. Quantity, not quality.

While said facility was going full lockdown trying to deal with a Jedi INSIDE. While your overall gripe makes a lot of sense, one presumes that all available resources were being directed towards Kenobi (cue a Sam Whitwer "Kenobiiii!"). It's the old Find My Jedi distraction. Particularly given the relative importance of Kenobi to Vader, and the resulting dedication to capturing/eliminating him this would inspire in the Inquisitors when they KNOW he's present, I'm more than willing to accept that Fortress Inquisitorius abandoned all effort to monitor their, supposedly otherwise secure, neighborhood to put all hands on deck and track Obi-wan.

The better question is how did Obi-wan's terrible "disguise" fool anybody. What with it's extra legs and all. That was just shameful, and should have been rewritten to make it less so.

BANNED

I find it confounding that they could fumble what should be an easy success this badly. Why not hire people who actually know about the series?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    It looks intimidating and it dehumanizes the people wearing it. Making them both more likely to conform, and to go along with atrocities. Don't underestimate the psychology.

Unlike the clones, there is no effort made to protect Stormtroopers. They are expendable. Meant to strike fear and to overwhelm with sheer numbers. Quantity, not quality.
    I can't deny the psychological factor but it really falls apart when you see them in action in these shows lately.

Like if the Separatists only had B-1 Battle Droids without all the other variants...and even B-1's seem like better shots at times.
    While said facility was going full lockdown trying to deal with a Jedi INSIDE. While your overall gripe makes a lot of sense, one presumes that all available resources were being directed towards Kenobi (cue a Sam Whitwer "Kenobiiii!"). It's the old Find My Jedi distraction. Particularly given the relative importance of Kenobi to Vader, and the resulting dedication to capturing/eliminating him this would inspire in the Inquisitors when they KNOW he's present, I'm more than willing to accept that Fortress Inquisitorius abandoned all effort to monitor their, supposedly otherwise secure, neighborhood to put all hands on deck and track Obi-wan.

The better question is how did Obi-wan's terrible "disguise" fool anybody. What with it's extra legs and all. That was just shameful, and should have been rewritten to make it less so.
    They learned nothing from Cal Kestis .

Leia hiding in a coat was...a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Granted. Though I expect they are relying on that old chestnut "Anybody would have to be CRAZY to try this...

Beckett's gang managed to fool Imperials pretty much in SOLO (Except Han) although that was war-torn trench warfare and not a fortress.

On the reverse side there's a funny reverse of this in a ROTS deleted scene where Obi-Wan and Yoda go to the Jedi Temple and there are Clones dressed as Jedi, but Obi-Wan sees through the deception immeadiatly.