Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What bothers me is people not knowing or I should say caring about the difference between the actress and the character. There was a little segment just a couple of minutes On Fox News about how any time someone does not like a black actor it is because of racism.

There have been several people on this thread who have bash Reva as a character. None of us have gone after the actress, Too many do not see the difference between

"I dont like Reva's character. Bad writing and over the top." And "I cant believe they put this black person in Star Wars. Lets leave death threats and call her racial slurs."
    Well, yeah. I don't like the character, but I have nothing against the actress. In fact, I feel bad for her, as I imagine this kind of backlash isn't easy to take. Also, the racism is disgusting. Hopefully that goes without saying.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, people are allowed to tear a character apart (I don't like Reva) but the full-blown racism is now exhausting. Criticize the character and not the actor/actress personally.

There's always been a toxic segment of Star Wars fandom that has always attacked the actors behind characters they don't like. From Ahmed Best to Jake Lloyd to Moses Ingram to Kelly Marie Tran and even Hayden Christensen (to a lesser extent), they've all been victims of severe bullying. These guys need to rein this shit in, it's just Star Wars, it's not that deep.

BANNED

I feel like this woman is being used as a shield to deflect criticism of bad writing and acting. Yes, there were some disgusting racist messages she received. But people are blurring the line between that crap and people who think Reva is, as I said, badly written and badly acted. And Lucasfilm's full-fledged defense of her, I would give them more of the benefit of the doubt regarding their motives if they had defended Gina Carano with such veracity when she received death and rape threats vulgar sexist messages. But Lucasfilm remained silent and caved to such mobs when they terminated her.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicalComics View Post
    I feel like this woman is being used as a shield to deflect criticism of bad writing and acting. Yes, there were some disgusting racist messages she received. But people are blurring the line between that crap and people who think Reva is, as I said, badly written and badly acted. And Lucasfilm's full-fledged defense of her, I would give them more of the benefit of the doubt regarding their motives if they had defended Gina Carano with such veracity when she received death and rape threats vulgar sexist messages. But Lucasfilm remained silent and caved to such mobs when they terminated her.
    I had a problem with the writing for her character but I didn't go to her social media accounts to tell her about it or bring her race or gender in to. We all know a contingent of the star wars fandom is horrible
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Speaking of lines being blurred: "Shame on the toxic fandom, but let's not forget the bad writing and acting!"
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Speaking of lines being blurred: "Shame on the toxic fandom, but let's not forget the bad writing and acting!"
    LMAO

also:

Having an Obi-Wan show should be a celebration, where fans finally see Darth Vader and Kenobi interact after Anakin's downfall (live action), but instead we get actors being attacked.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-31-2022 at 09:20 PM.

It's not a shield - it's a reality. One that is more important to address than criticisms about the writing and acting. I say again, it's because it's a million times more important to address this. Disney doesn't have to defend itself against honest criticism about the writing - why would they? It's a tv show - movies and tv shows don't normally respond directly to critics. And there's no comparison with Garano, who chose to be an idiot with her own vulgar message. Nobody deserves to be threatened, but Disney tried to help her smooth things over and she doubled-down on ignorance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And there's no comparison with Garano, who chose to be an idiot with her own vulgar message. Nobody deserves to be threatened, but Disney tried to help her smooth things over and she doubled-down on ignorance.
    She did not act like an idiot and there was no vulgar message on her end.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

She did not act like an idiot and there was no vulgar message on her end.
    Mocking the Trans community, comparing Republicans to Jewish people during the holocaust and supporting the insurrection in DC are all pretty abhorrent views. None of that warrants her being threatened on social media mind you( though I don't remember that being an issue) but it is valid justification for job termination.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

As for the latest episode, I really enjoyed the tension here both in the scene with the Storm Troopers in the transport and later with Vader's entrance into the town.

There are going to be some people who are bothered by the fact that Vader and Obi-Wan cross swords here but continuity has never been Star Wars strong suit so I'm personally not bothered especially when the scene was so good.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

I don't get the need for Hayden Christenson because in the end Darth Vader is the iconic suit and the voice (James Earl Jones). Unless it is all about flash backs or Vader does a strip down battle you know mask breaks so you get some Hayden but otherwise now that he is Darth and Darth doesn't do anything out of his armor besides soak in tank. As much as I would love a Darth series, if not for flashbacks, he would only be seen soaking otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I don't get the need for Hayden Christenson because in the end Darth Vader is the iconic suit and the voice (James Earl Jones). Unless it is all about flash backs or Vader does a strip down battle you know mask breaks so you get some Hayden but otherwise now that he is Darth and Darth doesn't do anything out of his armor besides soak in tank. As much as I would love a Darth series, if not for flashbacks, he would only be seen soaking otherwise.
    I'm thinking there will be some flashbacks to him and Obi-Wan together, otherwise you're a hundred percent right; if he's just the guy in the armor who we never see, then who cares all that much?

It's the same with the OT, no offence to Prowse as I'm sure he was motivated to give his best physical performance but at the same time all everyone really cares about is the design of the armor and James Earl Jones' voice.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Well, we don't know what they have in mind yet. Vader might have his helmet off if he's confronting Obi-Wan later.(he might want to look upon him with his own eyes) Maybe they'll do a Kylo/Rey and talk to each other from a great distance, etc.... I would imagine it's because those were the two actors who were in the prequel trilogy and if there's going to be any kind of emotional scene between the two characters, it makes sense to have those actors.

Incredible Member

This may have been Vader's most brutal onscreen showing outside the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    This may have been Vader's most brutal onscreen showing outside the comics.
    Yeah, seeing him just torture random people just to draw Kenobi out was definitely fittingly dark.