Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Andor seemed like a bit of an ensemble from the trailer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Andor seemed like a bit of an ensemble from the trailer.
    There were multiple shots of Mothma herself, and it looks like Cassian will be young kid at the start, so we’re likely going to see a lot of the building blocks forming the Rebellion, with him being something “shaped” by them.

I *do* see why it could see kind of mundane, though; Star Wars fans are far more likely to enjoy Force Users or Mandalorians when written even half-way competently, as those are more escapist character types that have rich lore and a lot of “special” traits. In fact, I’d argue the Mandalorians becoming a lore-filled “special group” is one of the greater achievements of current LFL, especially give their seeming reticence on making Jedi-filled works.

Even the Bad Batch has some elements of being “more than mundane” compared to stuff like Andor himself - and it’s notable how much Chirrut and Baze were arguably more popular than Andor and even Jyn, and how much Darth Vader’s hallway scene dominated the hype around Rogue One.

I wonder if their might be a bit of a generational gap thing going on - Boomers and Gen Xers grew up with the OT and the “Han was the best character!” idea and thus might like more mundane, restrained Star Wars, while Millenials and Zoomers grew up with the PT + OT + TCW, and are thus more openly escapist love of space wizards and “special” characters.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I wonder if their might be a bit of a generational gap thing going on - Boomers and Gen Xers grew up with the OT and the “Han was the best character!” idea and thus might like more mundane, restrained Star Wars, while Millenials and Zoomers grew up with the PT + OT + TCW, and are thus more openly escapist love of space wizards and “special” characters.
    Based on nothing other than seeing how some fans have reacted over the years, speaking in generalities my personal impression is that a lot of male boomers just want to see a strong male character kicking ass.(whether they're good or evil) I think that mentality is less prevalent in the younger generations, where they've become more attached to character dynamics/relationships.(especially since tv shows like "Clone Wars" and "Rebels" were able to take time to develop things like that.

Based on nothing other than seeing how some fans have reacted over the years, speaking in generalities my personal impression is that a lot of male boomers just want to see a strong male character kicking ass.(whether they're good or evil) I think that mentality is less prevalent in the younger generations, where they've become more attached to character dynamics/relationships.(especially since tv shows like "Clone Wars" and "Rebels" were able to take time to develop things like that.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I really enjoyed it, and I don't think any of it went too far over the line as far as power levels go; everything Kenobi and Vader did, they've done before....just perhaps not all at the same time or with quite as much raw power as they did here. Which I'm willing to roll with, no questions asked, because it was cool as hell (and this is supposed to be Vader in his prime and Kenobi at his most desperate). But it's hard to argue against the idea that there's been a noticeable power creep in the franchise, and I know some fans really don't care for it and feel that Force users shouldn't be *that* powerful.
    I think it'll be all good if they give Luke a moment to demonstrate powers at that level. His performance in THE MANDALORIAN, while awesome to watch, was still more in line with what Jedi were demonstrably able to do in the original and prequel trilogies rather than in Disney-era STAR WARS.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

There were multiple shots of Mothma herself, and it looks like Cassian will be young kid at the start, so we’re likely going to see a lot of the building blocks forming the Rebellion, with him being something “shaped” by them.
    I do remember seeing Mothma once or twice in the trailer now that y'all mention it. But I figured it was a small role, as it's always been.

I was under the assumption this was mostly about Andor, but it's closer of a balanced ensemble with a wider cast than just some Rogue One folks, then I can definitely get behind that.

And again, I'm not against the show, there's just other eras and characters I'm more interested in seeing. But if it's a good show? I'm happy.

I think there's definitely a generational gap in the fandom, though I had never considered it along this line. I suppose it's possible. The prequels are built on the "special people" like Jedi, while the originals are largely built on "regular" people, and the space wizards can almost be counted on one hand. And the difference between the shiny, nice looking Republic setting and the overworked, under-payed Empire kind of plays into that too. Everyone in the PT had a nice new car, so to speak. Special. The OT guys were flying twenty year old clunkers with rusty mufflers and worn out tires. Not so special.

I'm cool with both approaches honestly. I don't like it when they screw around with the Force too directly, like the Father/Son/Daughter or mideclorians (spelling?). That feels a little like a distortion on what the Force is supposed to be; the concept works best when it's kept vague and mysterious. But I'm cool with the normal guys trying to make their way in a rough universe and I'm cool with the space wizards who can read your mind and make rocks float and freeze laser blasts in midair.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think it'll be all good if they give Luke a moment to demonstrate powers at that level. His performance in THE MANDALORIAN, while awesome to watch, was still more in line with what Jedi were demonstrably able to do in the original and prequel trilogies rather than in Disney-era STAR WARS.
    I feel like Luke already got that in Last Jedi. Granted, the movie was crap and the franchise will have to bend over backwards trying to justify the film's choices, but Luke projecting himself halfway around the galaxy to fight Ren and buy the rebels time to escape is way beyond the Kenobi-Vader fight.

Not that I'd complain if we got some kind of crazy Luke-in-his-prime combat scene. Not at all, I'd very much be down to see Luke in an all-out fight. I'd expect such a thing to put Kenobi and Vader to shame, honestly. But as far as raw displays of power go, I think Luke's actually the #1.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Andor's showrunner has stated that Mon Mothma will "break the internet" so I think she'll have a substantial role. Pretty sure Smits/Bail is involved too and Saw/Whitaker.

They're even bringing back some of the more obscure Rogue One characters such as Andor's larger rebel group such as Duncan Pow.

No word however on Draven or Merrick though.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-26-2022 at 03:22 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Andor's showrunner has stated that Mon Mothma will "break the internet" so I think she'll have a substantial role. Pretty sure Smits/Bail is involved too.
    I love Jimmy Smits so more is always better
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Does anybody else have trouble watching Owen and Bail sometimes, knowing the horrific deaths in their future?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Does anybody else have trouble watching Owen and Bail sometimes, knowing the horrific deaths in their future?
    I'm just happy to see more of them.

Yeah, Joel Edgerton and Bonnie Piesse really didn't get that much to do in AOTC and ROTS when you think about it. Owen had like two lines of dialogue and no real personality, Cleigg pretty much did most of the exposition in that AOTC scene, and Bonnie didn't have any dialogue at all. There was going to be a scene with them and Padme back at the homestead while Anakin was gone with them putting the finishing touches on Threepio, but that was completed deleted (Although some photos exist so it was at least probably filmed) and they decided to just have Threepio already covered in the finished film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, but it makes me sad thinking how we never saw Luke pay them the proper respects of having raised him.

And it also makes me think that in "A New Hope," they went down fighting... to the point where the Storm Troopers had to bring out the big guns to fry them, rather then just a simple blaster or two to take them down.

^The old Tales from Mos Eisley cantina (legacy) basically states that they used an Imperial repulsor tank known as a "Floating Fortress" on them. (The tank itself is still canon).

Also the old Galaxy trading cards which featured art cards had an image of Owen+Beru shooting down some stormtroopers at their last stand.

The franchise is kind of known for making the most out of characters you know will eventually die. That was basically 96% of the cast of Clone Wars .

Blasters did kind of seem more lethal in the first SW. Greedo also became a blackened, smoking corpse but one that seemed in somewhat better shape than the Lars.

The whole scene BTW is probably intended as a nod to THE SEARCHERS, although A NEW HOPE is a bit more graphic. Lucas was apparently worried about the scene at the time.