Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

I guess Obi-Wan saying he's sorry for everything and Vader saying he killed Anakin adds some more context to some of the lines of "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" and of course Obi-Wan's half-truth about Vader killing Anakin. And of course, Obi-Wan referring to him as "Darth".

Also the half Vader/half Anakin voice not only is a bit of a callback to Rebels where Ashoka scored a similar hit, but also I think to some of Disney's concepts for TFA which would have Vader appear to Ren as part Anakin/Vader.

Luke only half-seeing Reva and being unconscious for much of the story also works that he's naïve about the force/Jedi etc. in ANH, maybe assumed it was a lone Tusken or something. Of course this explains why he kind of knows "Ben" as well. The actor playing Luke didn't do too much but there's definitely a Mark Hammilness to his appearance and voice (with a bit of Lloyd).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-22-2022 at 09:46 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I hope Disney backed up the Brink's truck to James Earl Jones so that he could record a million words for their speech AI and we can have his voice for Vader literally forever.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I hope Disney backed up the Brink's truck to James Earl Jones so that he could record a million words for their speech AI and we can have his voice for Vader literally forever.
    As much as I love the sound of Jones' voice as Vader the technology is a little troubling. Between Vader and what looks to be a completely digital Qui-Gon I wonder what the actors rights to their own likenesses and voices are, it's been an ethical question in the past with Tupak and now Whitney Houston having a residency in Vegas after her death...but with this AI learning technology it's an entirely different level.

Now I imagine that Jones and Neeson were both consulted (and paid)here...but what about the not too distant future when both actors have passed? Can they trot out Vader and feed him new dialogue that sounds exactly like Jones? Legally, is digitally compositing a voice the same as using a new voice actor as they have in cartoons for decades?
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-22-2022 at 12:53 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The way I saw it was that Obi-Wan had kind of lost faith in the Force and so despite "trying" to commune with his former master he wasn't actually fully open to the Force where as Luke was all youthful exuberiance and willing to trust the Force implicitly.
    Not just this, but a lot of this.

It's also about Obi-wan being trapped in the past. He can't let go of any of it. Order 66, Anakin, Mustafar it all haunts him. He's not in the moment or living for the future he's just trapped in the hell of his past.

When he let's go of the guilt over Anakin, when he decides to live to defend the future (Luke/Leia) on it's own terms rather than just as the last bit of Anakin he has left he not only finds his faith again but frees himself from the past.

Qui-gon has basically been waiting for him in the here and now, present but unable to reach him through the fog of history blinding Obi-wan.

Well I thought the series started out pretty weak, but I think it ended pretty strong

Seeing Liam Neeson return gave me a smile, even if he looks a lot older and he barely kept his accent in check for his couple lines(that got a chuckle)

Fantastic Member

Until this series, I always thought Leia's comments about remembering snippets of her mother was because her adopted mother died when she was young. I figured Leia didn't know she was adopted. Well -- that theory is shot to hell! I love poking holes in the Star Wars movies, but it's from love. The more stories they make, the easier it is to nitpick.

Thought it was awesome, come on, we all knewthe characters would be left the same place they started. Still totally cemented Obi-wan as my favorite star wars character. Great to see him as the lead and allowed to be flawed and have ptsd. But if nothing else this series was worth it to FINALLY see Disney's Vader be defeated after being prompted up as unstoppable in Rebels, Fallen Order and Rogue One. Interesting that Anakin almost sounded like he was trying to comfort Obi-wan by admitting he did it to himself. Or maybe at least come to the self realization that he wasn't "what Kenobi made him" like he claimed in the first fight. Explains why their confrontation in ANH was less emotional. Vader's anger and Ben's guilt have been resolved, even if they still hate each other. I'm looking forward to season 2.
    ps: The Lars are way tougher than I thought. Must have gone down fighting in ANH, and not just executed. Probably a bunch of dead stormtroopers in the farm. Or hell maybe those skeletons were stormtroopers but they actually got away. Nah not really. Hits different that Ben, Owen, Brie, Bail and his wife all died within a couple days of each other.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 06-22-2022 at 03:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I loved the finale but I am getting sick of Live Action Star Wars on Disney Plus constantly needing to set scenes in the pitch darkness of the Tatooine desert. I don't know if it's just the TV I have but the scenes with Reva were generally barely visible, I had to wait until it was pretty dark out to finish the episode. Just a slight nit pick but it's also happened with Mando and Boba Fett before.

I think with this ep, they wanted the light source to be the lightsabers, so the scenes took place at night.

Boisterously Confused

Whatever faults the series had, the finale stuck the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Not just this, but a lot of this.

It's also about Obi-wan being trapped in the past. He can't let go of any of it. Order 66, Anakin, Mustafar it all haunts him. He's not in the moment or living for the future he's just trapped in the hell of his past.

When he let's go of the guilt over Anakin, when he decides to live to defend the future (Luke/Leia) on it's own terms rather than just as the last bit of Anakin he has left he not only finds his faith again but frees himself from the past.

Qui-gon has basically been waiting for him in the here and now, present but unable to reach him through the fog of history blinding Obi-wan.
    Yeah, thwhtGuardian's take on the force-ghost thing is probably a debate killer on the point.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Thought it was awesome, come on, we all knewthe characters would be left the same place they started. Still totally cemented Obi-wan as my favorite star wars character. Great to see him as the lead and allowed to be flawed and have ptsd. But if nothing else this series was worth it to FINALLY see Disney's Vader be defeated after being prompted up as unstoppable in Rebels, Fallen Order and Rogue One. Interesting that Anakin almost sounded like he was trying to comfort Obi-wan by admitting he did it to himself. Or maybe at least come to the self realization that he wasn't "what Kenobi made him" like he claimed in the first fight. Explains why their confrontation in ANH was less emotional. Vader's anger and Ben's guilt have been resolved, even if they still hate each other. I'm looking forward to season 2.
    ps: The Lars are way tougher than I thought. Must have gone down fighting in ANH, and not just executed. Probably a bunch of dead stormtroopers in the farm. Or hell maybe those skeletons were stormtroopers but they actually got away. Nah not really. Hits different that Ben, Owen, Brie, Bail and his wife all died within a couple days of each other.
    Re the reset: yeah. The only thing they didn't handle was the "...I was but the learner..." angle.

Re the Lars: double yeah. If any characters got served half so well as Obi-Wan by this series, it was Owen and Beru. They were disposable plot motives for six films to me. Now, I'm a fan.

Candidly, I loved seeing Darth Vader get a straight up ass-beat by Obi-Wan. Best of all, they didn't diminish DV a bit to do it. This was Obi-Wan at his apex, and what came 10 years later was the work of time. Makes me wonder what Obi-Wan would have been among the Jedi in a time without Darth Sidious.

The ?: What's next for 3rd Sister?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    As much as I love the sound of Jones' voice as Vader the technology is a little troubling. Between Vader and what looks to be a completely digital Qui-Gon I wonder what the actors rights to their own likenesses and voices are, it's been an ethical question in the past with Tupak and now Whitney Houston having a residency in Vegas after her death...but with this AI learning technology it's an entirely different level.

Now I imagine that Jones and Neeson were both consulted (and paid)here...but what about the not too distant future when both actors have passed? Can they trot out Vader and feed him new dialogue that sounds exactly like Jones? Legally, is digitally compositing a voice the same as using a new voice actor as they have in cartoons for decades?
    This question has already been answered in Rogue One. Peter Cushing was dead for years, and they brought him back via CGI, MoCap, and a sound alike. And I think Carrie Fisher was still alive at the time when they did the same thing in the same movie to show a young Leia. Heck, we got a younger Luke in The Mandalorian, though in that case Mark Hamil was consulted and did the voice work.

The technology will keep getting better and more refined, and they will keep doing it whenever they need to do it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a show in the not-too-distant future featuring Luke, Leia, Chewie, Han and the droids in an adventure set between Episodes 4 and 5, where the big three are MoCap/Cgi creations with sound-alikes doing the voices (they can probably get Mark, but I doubt Harrison would want to do it).

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Look, this series is what it is. It was always going to suffer from prequalitis even more than even the prequels. Which means it will be a bit pointless, a bit lacking in stakes, and a bit lacking in logic. Taken for what it is, though, I thought the show was largely solid all around with a pretty killer lead performance at its heart, though yes, could just as easily have been a movie. This final episode, though, really, really worked for me, on an emotional level, and that's about all you can reasonably hope for from something like this. Loved the Vader/ Kenobi showdown, loved the stuff with Obi Wan and Leia (the soul of the show), loved Obi Wan getting his mojo back and finding a way to move on, loved the manipulative score, and the even more manipulative cameos. You can probably nitpick it to death but, honestly, at this point, why even bother?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    This question has already been answered in Rogue One. Peter Cushing was dead for years, and they brought him back via CGI, MoCap, and a sound alike. And I think Carrie Fisher was still alive at the time when they did the same thing in the same movie to show a young Leia. Heck, we got a younger Luke in The Mandalorian, though in that case Mark Hamil was consulted and did the voice work.

The technology will keep getting better and more refined, and they will keep doing it whenever they need to do it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a show in the not-too-distant future featuring Luke, Leia, Chewie, Han and the droids in an adventure set between Episodes 4 and 5, where the big three are MoCap/Cgi creations with sound-alikes doing the voices (they can probably get Mark, but I doubt Harrison would want to do it).
    I know it's been done, but my point is that with the advancing technology it seems to be getting easier to do and harder to tell the difference and it makes me wonder how ethical it really is. Would Cushing have wanted his likeness used that way? His secratary aprooved it, but we don't know what the actor's opinion might have been.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Guardian has a point. Guys like Ford can (now) tell a studio to go pound sand. Let's roll it back to 1976; can a Harrison Ford, making a living as a self-taught carpenter, afford to turn down a role because the suits want the rights to his facial image and voice in perpetuity? How likely is the studio to offer royalties on the obscene profits they might make on scenes an actor never performed ? How many Ewan McGregors never get a shot if they can technologically de-age a Sir Alec's facial model and voice?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Guardian has a point. Guys like Ford can (now) tell a studio to go pound sand. Let's roll it back to 1976; can a Harrison Ford, making a living as a self-taught carpenter, afford to turn down a role because the suits want the rights to his facial image and voice in perpetuity? How likely is the studio to offer royalties on the obscene profits they might make on scenes an actor never performed ? How many Ewan McGregors never get a shot if they can technologically de-age a Sir Alec's facial model and voice?
    Yeah, it's a huge can of worms once you start to think of it. Right now it's cost prohibitive for anything more than a cameo, but five years from now? Ten?