Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Is the Grand Inquisitor she kills the same one from Rebels? I just started watching that show.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    these scenes of grown men/aliens/whatever not being able to catch a little girl dont work at all, I mean the scenes aren't even cut to make it look like she's running particularly fast and the gaits the actors are using to make it look like they can barely keep up are cringe inducing
    Yeah that was going through my mind too. Totally pulled me out of the moment. But that's about the only thing I didn't enjoy about the first two episodes.

I'm really digging the show so far. I was worried it'd be more Boba Fett than Mandalorian, in terms of quality, but it's been a really solid ride so far.

Fortunately, I watched Kenobi *before* Strange New Worlds. That show has been so good, it'll be the last thing I watch each week.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Is the Grand Inquisitor she kills the same one from Rebels? I just started watching that show.
    That's been the assumption.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

If the pandemic has taught me anything it is the fact that the world can go to **** within 10 years.

I love how the entire galaxy has fallen and only the rich are still holding on to normalcy until they get blow'd up (RIP Alderaan).

I also love how this sets up the grand forgetness of the Jedi, I mean if you are gonna get your hand lopped off just for being on the same planet as a Jedi no one is gonna wanna ever associate with those ideas let alone people who dabble in Jedi stuff.

I am disappointed in the effects of the show, but it does kinda match the prequel series but the acting is what makes the show for me.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Really enjoyed these two episodes but yes, I don't like Reva at all as a villain ("try hard" acting, obnoxious writing) and the chase with little Leia was laughably bad. On the other hand, McGregor is unsurprisingly excellent and I really like the way Obi Wan has been written at this point too - he was the best thing about the prequels and he's even better here. I was also very pleasantly surprised to see how much of this series seems like it will revolve around Obi Wan and young Leia - super cute kid, by the way, and she very much convinces as a very young Princess Leia - which I was really not expecting. And hey, Kumail Nanjiani! Always a treat to see him turn up in things.

Quibbles aside, after really not liking the Book of Boba Fett, this was a nice return to form as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure it can be picked apart and some fans will decry it as the worst thing to happen to Star Wars since the last worst thing to happen to Star Wars, but it's been really fun so far with an excellent lead performance/ character to paper over some of the cracks. Cool stuff.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Those goons chasing after Leia in the woods has got to be one of the goofiest scenes in recent memory.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Those goons chasing after Leia in the woods has got to be one of the goofiest scenes in recent memory.
    I agree, but thankfully it was only a few seconds and not a whole "Home Alone" scenario and they did end up capturing her.

OR you can go with the whole "The Force has an agenda" theory and them not being able to catch her is akin to the Storm Troopers having terrible aim.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree, but thankfully it was only a few seconds and not a whole "Home Alone" scenario and they did end up capturing her.

OR you can go with the whole "The Force has an agenda" theory and them not being able to catch her is akin to the Storm Troopers having terrible aim.
    I just went with they were told not harm her at all so they were using serious kid gloves.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

that whole Leia chase scenes in Alderaan and Daiyu were cringefest. It shouldn't have taken them that long to capture her. It could have been directed better if they wanted to showcase her speed and resourcefulness by just not showing the viewers her legs or her running lol!
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Man I was so excited for Kenobi...

This show is trash so far even worse than the worst of Boba Fett( I admittedly liked a few episodes in that series though)
    Reva is terrible and the actress is trying to chew scenery but she is not Dukat
    Sorry Disney the knowledge of Anakin being Darth Vader is a secret. Some Random OC is not supposed to know it

little Leia is making the same mistakes Lucas made with the phantom menace. Stop using child actors
    She is decent but I roll my eyes at everything involving her
    Those chase scenes in these two episodes are Heavy Rain tier trash
    No clue how someone could look at that footage and still cut it that badly
    That legitimately topped the mods chase scene in TBOBF

Its nice to make homages to things but not nice when you are wasting episodes on dumb chase scenes and stupid conflicts.

Obi Wan can't use the force so good now? Has to struggle to hold a little girl up. They are aware he's a Jedi Master right?

I really want to finish this show but it keeps up like this I might just drop it

Extraordinary Member

Can't say I was disappointed cuz i really wasn't expecting anything after the Fett fiasco. But yeah those scenes of baby Leia running and grown-ass men/Jedi can't catch her-turrible. LOL. I mean there was a scene where she's right in front of dude and he's like "Stop!" What? That's some Lucas story-telling right there lol. 3rd sis did feel a little stereotypical overly aggressive, "from the gutter" blah,blah,blah. I dug the city scenes tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Man I was so excited for Kenobi...

This show is trash so far even worse than the worst of Boba Fett( I admittedly liked a few episodes in that series though)
    Reva is terrible and the actress is trying to chew scenery but she is not Dukat
    Sorry Disney the knowledge of Anakin being Darth Vader is a secret. Some Random OC is not supposed to know it

little Leia is making the same mistakes Lucas made with the phantom menace. Stop using child actors
    She is decent but I roll my eyes at everything involving her
    Those chase scenes in these two episodes are Heavy Rain tier trash
    No clue how someone could look at that footage and still cut it that badly
    That legitimately topped the mods chase scene in TBOBF

Its nice to make homages to things but not nice when you are wasting episodes on dumb chase scenes and stupid conflicts.

Obi Wan can't use the force so good now? Has to struggle to hold a little girl up. They are aware he's a Jedi Master right?

I really want to finish this show but it keeps up like this I might just drop it
    I will Agree Reva Knowing Anikin is Vader Bugged me. And Obi Wan not knowing he is alive. I know he is in hiding but at some point when he is at one of the bars or even at his job wouldnt someone have mentioned the Emperors bad ass enforcer in the last ten years? Heck even the Jawa who said Jedi are good for Business. Wouldnt he have said something like "Harder to find Jedi though because of Vader." At some point? I mean he and Obi Wan knew each other well enough he could come right into his cave.

"Cleaning cost extra." That did make me smile though.

As for Obi Wan having trouble with the force he is in hiding and shown to be kind of a broken man. So I am guessing he hasnt been using or practicing it much. At least that is the vibe I get.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I didn’t see anything as mind-numbingly contemptuous and stupid of the franchise as 75% of The Last Jedi, but I did see enough focus on the strengths they knew they had going in to be happy, and my uncle and I liked it, as did my buddy, even if he’s also got the poor taste to like The Last Jedi… and if I had to guess, this will probably hit the mainstream fans and hardcore fans quite a bit better than the still pretty serviceable Book of Boba Fett.

The weak spots are in some of the production quality; if I had to guess, most of the “A Team” in terms of managing Volume and the other technical aspects are probably part of Favreau and Filoni’s team, plugging away on The Mandalorian and Ahsoka, so Chow is making do with another set of LFL’s staff who aren’t quite as intuitive in using Volume or some of the practical make-up. Rubert Friend’s performance and the post-production yellowing of his eyes does more for the Grand Inquisitor than his disappointing make-up job, for instance. (The background creature design was pretty great though.)

I’m much less bothered by Leia’ chase scenes than other people, but I’ve always had a soft spot for the more “kiddie” moments of Star Wars, and I think they should be cut some slack compared to other flaws. In Star Wars, teddy bears can beat tanks, and little girls can outrun adult criminals and others for a few minutes; that seems infinitelymore forgivable to me than a film trying to be “mature” and proving itself just as juvenile, but now with added racism and sexism, like TLJ does.

And I overall loved Lil’ Leia’s adventures with Ben, or Reva’s taunting reveal of Vader’s survival to Obi-Wan while knowing he was Anakin; to me, these are the kind of “fan service scenes” that actually *SHOULD* be seen as worthy deviations form the original intent. There’s already a tendency towards “wiggle room” in Star Wars from Lucas’s tenure, like with Darth Maul’s return or Leia becoming Luke’s sister, and I’d argue both of those set the bar for how ridiculous you can get with retcons and what kind fo dramatic payoff you have to have for them… and Obi-Wan being grandfatherly towards Lil’ Leia and being perfectly taunted by Reva are enough of a payoff to make those work. Nothing’s near the level of Palpatine showing up just so LFL’s Adam Driver obsession can be appeased.

And MacGregor as Obi-Wan is still a great performance that makes him compelling and likable enough to bring me and likely more people back, and probably more than whatever number might be driven off by other issues.

It’s like the anti-TLJ approach to an old Jedi hero: we’re actually seeing him bond with the young female lead instead of just exposit his man-pain at her, take action when personally begged to rather than sit on his ass and mope, know he’s got a long term plan, and be depressed but determined in a situation where that actually makes sense rather than because pretentious film students think that “sad = great.” Even his scene with the other Jedi does a better job contextualizing and executing his anti-pep talk than TLJ does with Luke - at least here, there’s a reason for Luke to think the idiot is going to get himself killed and has a plan.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Well, she is. 9 anyway. Because that's how old the actress actually is.
    That's interesting. She looks rather small for a 9 or 10-year-old.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    LOL...my thoughts exactly.

But as the other guys have pointed out maybe they were told not to harm her or something.

Mighty Member

So, genuinely curious here. Why do so many seem to think Vader is a public and well known figure? He's basically the Emperor's personal hitman. Not something you publicize.

And even if Obi-wan has heard stories of the man in the suit, how likely is it that he's heard the name 'Vader' associated with it? Last he saw Anakin, Vader was maimed and immolated and almost certainly dying. Why would he assume that the new Sith was his old friend he thinks he killed? Without the name, there's no connection to Anakin. And note that Obi-wan would recognize the Vader name, he hears it during RotS, and reacts instantly when Reva says it here.

Lest we forget, Sidious operated almost completely in the shadows for decades, including more than 10 years while he was also the Chancellor and working right alongside Jedi. The Sith are good at keeping themselves quiet.

Particularly Vader. He's probably the most dangerous man in the galaxy. Anybody who knows he exists is either loyal (Tarkin, Thrawn), terrified or dead.

Also, I don't understand why people are upset that the Inquisitors know Vader used to be Anakin. He basically personally trained them. Almost all of them used to be Jedi. Why hide what half of them likely know already?
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 05-29-2022 at 03:15 PM.