Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Also is this the first time we've actually seen what spice does to somebody?

I had high hopes but wasn't holding my breath. It was still worse than I thought it would be. Obi-Wan meeting Leia at this time then begs the question of why she wouldn't have mentioned it in her hologram recording. (Leia's full on Alderaanian Home Alone scene running from Flea was also a miss but clearly not the fault of the young actress, who did the best she could) And him not that Vader was around ten years later and a ny of Vader's underlings knowing he was Anakin is just bad writing that ignores longhand canon. The fact that she made the connection to Leia was also nuts because if any other people had suspected that Obi-Wan was alive, you'd think they would have acted on this too, which also leads to them putting it together that she could be Padme's kid. And then there's the other Jedi who finds Kenobi himself. Really? And assuming he does face Vader again in real life prior to A New Hope, that is a huge problem. And then there is the problem of Reva, who is clearly among the younglings in the beginning, which makes the leaks more likely. Reva, who is able to get info from everyone's minds but doesn't try with Owen. And the acting and tumbling from building to building were bad too. I really just wish that they adapted the novel from a few years ago instead. And had made him look a little older or hold it sooner after Order 66 because he doesn't look half way to his older self remotely.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

They did consider doing the series with mainly Obi-Wan just protecting Luke from threats coming to, or already on Tatooine (Including Maul, I guess prior to his Rebels appearence), which was the main approach that some of the Disney canon comics took, but Kathleen Kennedy thought it was too close to the Mandalorian I think, so they retooled it.

As for other continuity issues, like with the prequel's issues themselves there's a bit of wiggle room I think; there's nothing that definitely says that these characters didn't meet prior to the first movie. It can be argued that Vader's dialogue to Obi-Wan is a contradiction of the prequels itself- "When I left you I was but the learner"-although it's quite clear that in ROTS Anakin is no longer a Padawan (He seems to mainly say that Obi-Wan is "Master" due to his rank and a measure of respect).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

As for other continuity issues, like with the prequel's issues themselves there's a bit of wiggle room I think; there's nothing that definitely says that these characters didn't meet prior to the first movie. It can be argued that Vader's dialogue to Obi-Wan is a contradiction of the prequels itself- "When I left you I was but the learner"-although it's quite clear that in ROTS Anakin is no longer a Padawan (He seems to mainly say that Obi-Wan is "Master" due to his rank and a measure of respect).
    Been having a debate about that line on another board, and I think people are missing the context of the line in light of the PT. Vader isn't actually making a statement about where he was, or where Obi-wan was, in terms of knowledge or power. He's deflecting, justifying his defeat. He's a bully who got his butt kicked and now needs to prop himself up to feel superior again.

Hence how Anakin, who has basically been pathologically overconfident to the point of arrogance his entire life, would ever deign to call himself "the learner." It's the only way he can excuse losing to Obi-wan (probably more than once, since it looks like we're headed for a pre-ANH rematch here). He KNOWS he's supposed to be the best and most powerful. So how did he lose? How could that possibly be a thing? Simple. He tells himself, "I'm still the best and most powerful, I just hadn't had time to match my enemy's experience." It's textbook self-justification.

With the grand irony that, by killing Obi-wan aboard the Death Star, Vader has lost YET AGAIN. Keep telling yourself how great you are, Darth. You're still a chump. Again.

I've got a feeling that Obi-Wan might also try to save Vader, which would certainly help the "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" dialogue. Obi-Wan in ROTS doesn't really do that much in ROTS to save Anakin apart from "I'm loyal to the Republic" and "I have failed you!" dialogue. Maybe we'll see him try a different approach this time.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I feel like whatever fight they end up having is going to be a "draw," or at least a win for Obi-Wan in that he escapes.

Should be interesting to compare to when Ahsoka fought Vader.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    ... And had made him look a little older or hold it sooner after Order 66 because he doesn't look half way to his older self remotely.
    Makes me wonder if he'll perform some amazing feat with the Force by the end that will turn him grey.

Actress Moses Ingram has revealed tons of racist messages she's received for basically being part of the show.

I mean seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?

I had problems with how they had her character act in the show sure, but that's because of some seriously stupid writing. The writing for the character and the performance of the role is fair play for critique but dropping all this racist crap is ridiculously inane. Not that I expect better because humanity has shown that they are circling the drain, but I at least hoped for better still. Silly me.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Actress Moses Ingram has revealed tons of racist messages she's received for basically being part of the show.

It's sad how inevitable this was. I wonder how many of them watching the films from Ep 1 were upset that they replaced Christensen by having Vader voiced by a black man.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-01-2022 at 06:02 PM.

I had problems with how they had her character act in the show sure, but that's because of some seriously stupid writing. The writing for the character and the performance of the role is fair play for critique but dropping all this racist crap is ridiculously inane. Not that I expect better because humanity has shown that they are circling the drain, but I at least hoped for better still. Silly me.
    It is sickening. Even if she gave a Academy Award winning performance she would get racist hate. As I said in another threat Reva is not a good character but that is the fault of the writers not her.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I hate that I had a feeling that this would happen .

I have no great love for the character but the actress doesn't deserve this treatment...none of the women or POC actors in the SW universe who have had to deal with this do.

What bothers me is people not knowing or I should say caring about the difference between the actress and the character. There was a little segment just a couple of minutes On Fox News about how any time someone does not like a black actor it is because of racism.

There have been several people on this thread who have bash Reva as a character. None of us have gone after the actress, Too many do not see the difference between

"I dont like Reva's character. Bad writing and over the top." And "I cant believe they put this black person in Star Wars. Lets leave death threats and call her racial slurs."
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

What else is new fandom can be so toxic, like touch grass dorks and stop being shitheads

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    What else is new fandom can be so toxic, like touch grass dorks and stop being shitheads
    The list of actors is too long now to believe that this wouldn't happen.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I've got a feeling that Obi-Wan might also try to save Vader, which would certainly help the "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" dialogue. Obi-Wan in ROTS doesn't really do that much in ROTS to save Anakin apart from "I'm loyal to the Republic" and "I have failed you!" dialogue. Maybe we'll see him try a different approach this time.
    Thank you! That has always bothered me, ever since ROTS came out. So hopefully we actually see that.