Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Man, it was just so cool to hear "The Voice" in the new episode. Story was good and all, but having The One True Voice back in vocal black was everything!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Man, it was just so cool to hear "The Voice" in the new episode. Story was good and all, but having The One True Voice back in vocal black was everything!
    Yeah, James Earl Jones is definitely still capable of delivering the goods.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

There's some speculation that his voice was modified a bit using AI sampled from the original trilogy to sound closer to OT Vader than what we got in REVENGE OF THE SITH, ROGUE ONE,REBELS and a tiny bit in RISE OF SKYWALKER which sounded a bit different. Same tech they used to make modern Mark Hamill's more gravelly voice more like he sounded in 1983 in BOOK OF BOBA FETT (Mark's a good VA of course but not quite that good!).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-01-2022 at 04:28 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

If I first take a moment: Quinlan Vos lives! *does happy dance* Live action Quinlan when, Disney?

Vader was seriously terrifying in this. Probably the most effective "Vader as boogeyman" bit I've ever seen. Or at least up there with the "Fear and dead men" bit from Vader Down in the comics.

Tiny Leia is pitch perfect. McGregor is selling the broken and faithless Obi-wan so hard and it's absolutely beautiful (and painful) to watch. And things somehow still manage to go from bad to even worse. This was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- REVA THEORY: She was the youngling in the Jedi temple at the beginning and she and her friends ended up on the run and in the gutter when the Empire found them. BUT she's not motivated by anger a Obi-Wan, she wants to bring Obi-Wan to Vader because she wants an audience with him so she can kill Vader/Anakin.
    I'm going to add to my theory with the Ep 3 scene where Reva hopes that she gets what she deserves. I don't think of that as self-serving. I'm going to guess not only was she one of those younglings, that when the Empire finds them she gave in to fear and goes with them, while the others resisted and died. So her "the Jedi were cowards" comment reveals her self-hatred for surviving, and that she expects to deservedly die in her attempt to kill Vader.

Pretty sick Vader suit up sequence.

They didn't outright say Grand Inquisitor was dead even if it seemed like they were heavily implying it. Either they're not going to address it for the rest of the series, they're going to break canon, or he's going to show up to get payback from Reva.

So every Inquisitor wanted the Grand Inquisitor title. Fifth Brother was really the first choice? He never seemed that big a deal. Actually they never really addressed if anyone replaced Grand Inquisitor after Kanan beat him, but I guess by then Vader was commanding them all.

"When I look at her, I see her mother." Bonus points for the fact that he's not lying!

Oof. Leia asking about her birth parents. Including her father .

Guess you can't trust a Frank. Was that Zach Braff's character?

Leai didn't just get Anakin's Force Power or temper, she also got his affection for droids.

Quinlan Vos! I think this is the first time they've mentioned him since the Vader comic listed him as one of the Jedi still at large, and he's been helping get Jedi and Force Sensitive kids to safety.

Leia already wants to wield a blaster. It warms the heart. And she's seeing the seed for the kind of Rebellion leader she's going to become.

Obi-Wan finally lights up his saber only to be so out of practice and out of sorts he can barely parry Vader. But it's basically setting up his big comeback moment later in the series.

Vader just couldn't resist burning him alive...

I feel like you shouldn't have left the young girl alone in the tunnels, but I guess she did end up saving Obi-Wan.

Why did Reva react so badly to that sign? Because they're taking care of Jedi and kids like she wasn't? A sign from someone she knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I found this to be better than the 1st two eps. But watching these you get the sense the Jedi weren't really all that to begin with. Like they just had everything going their way for a time and folded when they got really tested. Obi looks really bad here and we know how Luke turned out.
    I mean, most of them were basically stabbed in the back, brutally hunted down, and murdered.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's some speculation that his voice was modified a bit using AI sampled from the original trilogy to sound closer to OT Vader than what we got in REVENGE OF THE SITH, ROGUE ONE,REBELS and a tiny bit in RISE OF SKYWALKER which sounded a bit different. Same tech they used to make modern Mark Hamill's more gravelly voice more like he sounded in 1983 in BOOK OF BOBA FETT (Mark's a good VA of course but not quite that good!).
    Yeah, I'm assuming it was modified considering it sounds much more in-line with Vader in the OT versus his performance in Rogue One and Rebels.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why did Reva react so badly to that sign? Because they're taking care of Jedi and kids like she wasn't? A sign from someone she knew?
    The specific image she reacts to the most strongly is simply the logo of the old Jedi Order. I think she just really has issues with the Order for some reason. Combined with her attempt to intimidate Owen back in the first episode (You protect your family. That's important.), I think she's butthurt about the fact that she was abandoned and left to be captured by the Empire. We'll see though, I can't imagine we don't get backstory for her at some point.

People seem to focus on how Leia's message to Obi-Wan from EpIV only mentions his connection to her father rather than their own adventure as depicted in this show. But she should also have had more of a reaction to his death as well, no? Honestly, I don't really care whether the show figures out a work-around or not, but I mean if you're going to nitpick, you might as well bring that up as well.

They didn't outright say Grand Inquisitor was dead even if it seemed like they were heavily implying it. Either they're not going to address it for the rest of the series, they're going to break canon, or he's going to show up to get payback from Reva.
    Yeah, Reva is interrupted when she says "Kenobi will pay for the GI's --" then Vader says the GI doesn't matter. The writers clearly stopped her from saying that he was dead.... because he's alive. I'm sure we'll see him again by the penultimate ep or the finale.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    If I first take a moment: Quinlan Vos lives! *does happy dance* Live action Quinlan when, Disney?

Vader was seriously terrifying in this. Probably the most effective "Vader as boogeyman" bit I've ever seen. Or at least up there with the "Fear and dead men" bit from Vader Down in the comics.

Tiny Leia is pitch perfect. McGregor is selling the broken and faithless Obi-wan so hard and it's absolutely beautiful (and painful) to watch. And things somehow still manage to go from bad to even worse. This was fantastic.
    I could see Quinlin pop up in Andor.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. He's 91 so I wouldn't be shocked if his voice sounds a lot different now. While watching another show earlier this season on network TV, I noted how different the voices of a couple of characters sounded and since they were both getting up there in age, I figured that was the reason for the difference in their vocal sound from past seasons.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The specific image she reacts to the most strongly is simply the logo of the old Jedi Order. I think she just really has issues with the Order for some reason. Combined with her attempt to intimidate Owen back in the first episode (You protect your family. That's important.), I think she's butthurt about the fact that she was abandoned and left to be captured by the Empire. We'll see though, I can't imagine we don't get backstory for her at some point.
    Well, probably anyone who could have helped her was either killed at the temple or was hunted down before they could do anything...
    People seem to focus on how Leia's message to Obi-Wan from EpIV only mentions his connection to her father rather than their own adventure as depicted in this show. But she should also have had more of a reaction to his death as well, no? Honestly, I don't really care whether the show figures out a work-around or not, but I mean if you're going to nitpick, you might as well bring that up as well.
    Well, I guess you could argue Leia has that steely, princess, face she puts on to handle her grief so she doesn't let people see her as vulnerable. Especially when her entire planet and people had already blown up by that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. He's 91 so I wouldn't be shocked if his voice sounds a lot different now. While watching another show earlier this season on network TV, I noted how different the voices of a couple of characters sounded and since they were both getting up there in age, I figured that was the reason for the difference in their vocal sound from past seasons.
    You can definitely tell the age in his voice in Rebels and Rogue One.

Mighty Member

Well, probably anyone who could have helped her was either killed at the temple or was hunted down before they could do anything...
    So? Anger and hate are rarely rational, well thought through emotions. Particularly after you've been violently traumatized, deliberately and systematically. You really think, for even a second, that a brutalized child is going to stop and go, "Well, you know, it was just logistically unlikely that I would ever receive help. Becuase X,Y,Z..."?

No, I'm sorry. That's just a bullshit argument.

So? Anger and hate are rarely rational, well thought through emotions. Particularly after you've been violently traumatized, deliberately and systematically. You really think, for even a second, that a brutalized child is going to stop and go, "Well, you know, it was just logistically unlikely that I would ever receive help. Becuase X,Y,Z..."?

No, I'm sorry. That's just a bullshit argument.
    Now that you mention it, that probably would be something the Order would teach or intend to teach at some point but I guess it's no surprise Reva ended up turning to the Dark Side under the circumstances.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'm trying to remember, does Obi-Wan ever identify himself as anyone other than "Ben" to Leia in the show? Because it is entirely possible that Leia thought Obi-Wan is an entirely different person when she sent the message in ANH.

I don't think Obi-Wan and Leia ever interacted in ANH, and his duel with Vader was the first time she even saw him if memory serves? So at that point you could argue she recognized him but it's just her tendency to bury her emotions when there's a job to be done. She doesn't even dwell on Alderaan getting blown up.
    Last edited by David Walton; 06-02-2022 at 11:06 AM.