Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Reva makes me miss Ventress.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly my thinking.
    If she wanted to know where Leia was going, why kill the pilot (whom she could have used the force to extract the truth from quite easily) and then interrogate a 10 year old girl?
    That doesn’t make any sense.
    Good point, but the short answer is that the pilot isn't a main character and Star Wars usually has pretty simple story-telling. One could imagine a bunch of reasons since we didn't see it - the pilot took a shot at her and she lost control and killed him, She looked in his mind and saw he only knew one leg of the journey, so figured Leia might know more while also a connection to Kenobi etc...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly my thinking.

If she wanted to know where Leia was going, why kill the pilot (whom she could have used the force to extract the truth from quite easily) and then interrogate a 10 year old girl?

That doesn’t make any sense.
    Because, for Reva, the Path is secondary to her pursuit of Kenobi.

She kills the pilot because she wants Leia in custody and doesn't care how that happens. Leia is her ticket to Kenobi. But it's important to remember that Reva is a rogue element within the Inquisition at this point. She's risking her neck for her personal quest rather than doing the mission that's been assigned. Her interrogation of Leia is her attempt to square that circle. To justify the capture as part of the search for the Path.

As you've pointed out, that's not at all what it is. But that isn't an error, or poor writing. It's establishing Reva's real motivations. She's gone all in on this Kenobi thing. It's almost certainly going to get her killed. But she can't let it go. It's the core of whatever is gnawing at her, which drives her anger. She's even willing to risk defying Vader if it gets her whatever it is she wants.

If that part of the story has a weakness, it's that we still don't know what that it really is, beyond "find Kenobi." She comes off as a moustache twirler, and not a terribly effective one, because the story hasn't given us any insight into what she's really after. They're almost certainly saving that for the climax, because it's how they're going to justify her turn away from the darkness, should they go that way, or justify her suicidal insistence on taking this path, if they keep her dark.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Because, for Reva, the Path is secondary to her pursuit of Kenobi.

She kills the pilot because she wants Leia in custody and doesn't care how that happens. Leia is her ticket to Kenobi. But it's important to remember that Reva is a rogue element within the Inquisition at this point. She's risking her neck for her personal quest rather than doing the mission that's been assigned. Her interrogation of Leia is her attempt to square that circle. To justify the capture as part of the search for the Path.

As you've pointed out, that's not at all what it is. But that isn't an error, or poor writing. It's establishing Reva's real motivations. She's gone all in on this Kenobi thing. It's almost certainly going to get her killed. But she can't let it go. It's the core of whatever is gnawing at her, which drives her anger. She's even willing to risk defying Vader if it gets her whatever it is she wants.

If that part of the story has a weakness, it's that we still don't know what that it really is, beyond "find Kenobi." She comes off as a moustache twirler, and not a terribly effective one, because the story hasn't given us any insight into what she's really after. They're almost certainly saving that for the climax, because it's how they're going to justify her turn away from the darkness, should they go that way, or justify her suicidal insistence on taking this path, if they keep her dark.
    And not much of an entertaining one either.

I just don't think anyone is going to care all that much about whatever backstory Reva has or whatever justification she has when she just hasn't been very likeable or compelling either as a character or even as an antagonist.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

See, I actually disagree with the idea that her main concern in the pursuit of Kenobi and that Leia was about that ticket. She went after Leia when she had absolutely zero context that Kenobi would escape Vader.

The telling thing for me is the reaction to seeing that one Jedi symbol. It wasn't just an "oh this must be the path" reaction, there was something personal in her reaction, as well as in how much she wanted the information from Leia. The ending of the episode also highlights that Reva is lying to Vader, when Vader wants clarification that the tracker is about Kenobi, but its actually about Leia, again implying that Reva's goals have shifted from Kenobi to Leia.

As to why and her endgame, I don't know. There was lots of speculation she wanted to kill Anakin for the Jedi temple massacre and was trying to get close to him, but that seems unlikely now. And the interrogation of Leia does indeed not make much sense. Like in-universe it doesn't, like Reva thinks (maybe desperately) that Leia will know more than she does, but maybe that's supposed to highlight that what or who she's really after is something/someone she'll find at the end of the path.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    See, I actually disagree with the idea that her main concern in the pursuit of Kenobi and that Leia was about that ticket. She went after Leia when she had absolutely zero context that Kenobi would escape Vader.

The telling thing for me is the reaction to seeing that one Jedi symbol. It wasn't just an "oh this must be the path" reaction, there was something personal in her reaction, as well as in how much she wanted the information from Leia. The ending of the episode also highlights that Reva is lying to Vader, when Vader wants clarification that the tracker is about Kenobi, but its actually about Leia, again implying that Reva's goals have shifted from Kenobi to Leia.

As to why and her endgame, I don't know. There was lots of speculation she wanted to kill Anakin for the Jedi temple massacre and was trying to get close to him, but that seems unlikely now. And the interrogation of Leia does indeed not make much sense. Like in-universe it doesn't, like Reva thinks (maybe desperately) that Leia will know more than she does, but maybe that's supposed to highlight that what or who she's really after is something/someone she'll find at the end of the path.
    I think it's become increasingly clear she feels some abandonment issues (probably from being left behind after the Order 66 attack on the temple) and is projecting that on the Jedi, Leia, and probably these other kids or Force Sensitive people who got luckier than she was.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post

That's a fair point. Regardless, she clearly has something deeply personal driving her. And it's making her reckless. Suicidally reckless.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    QFT 100%! However, I'm not allowing it to ruin the show for me. I am really enjoying it and the last scene when little leia wrapped her hand around Obi Wan's..............man as a new father that got the eyes watering
    I mean, I'm with you.

The show has loads that's wrong about it but that doesn't stop me from very much enjoying it and especially Obi Wan and little Leia's relationship.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

After the first episode people were speculating that Reva was a Jedi child who will get some sort of redemption by the end of the show. At this point, who cares. My fear is they don't resolve her story and we have to see her in the next season.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    After the first episode people were speculating that Reva was a Jedi child who will get some sort of redemption by the end of the show. At this point, who cares. My fear is they don't resolve her story and we have to see her in the next season.
    I don't quit understand the hatred towards Reva. I don't think she's that bad of an actress, and I her prefer miles above aspiring emo sith lord Kylo Ren.

I think she would look better if she wore an Imperial uniform or at least a sith robe....the look of the Inquisitors is kind of weak.

Anyways great show, ten times better than The Force Awakens garbage.

This show has been up and down in writing and the characters but overall I can't help but enjoy it. It was a really awesome moment when Leia put her hand in Obi-Wan's hand. Just adorable!

Like some of you I was really hoping Vader would have finished the choke hold. Then give that brother guy his shot. Would have been perfect and very consistent with how the Star Wars bad guys tend to operate as their own worst enemies most of the time.

But oh well. Reva isn't terrible, just one note. She fits right in with the Empire, honestly.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    ...Like some of you I was really hoping Vader would have finished the choke hold. Then give that brother guy his shot. Would have been perfect and very consistent with how the Star Wars bad guys tend to operate as their own worst enemies most of the time...
    I don't know about that - 5th Brother is only good in small doses with his hammy "I am an evil character" pseudo-Batman voice.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Apparently Reva is getting her own series and a second series of Obi-Wan is in development according to rumours. Former pretty much confirms she’ll switch sides.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I don't quit understand the hatred towards Reva. I don't think she's that bad of an actress, and I her prefer miles above aspiring emo sith lord Kylo Ren.

I think she would look better if she wore an Imperial uniform or at least a sith robe....the look of the Inquisitors is kind of weak.

Anyways great show, ten times better than The Force Awakens garbage.
    I like Reva, she's a compelling villain so far. I don't think the fourth ep served her as well as the first three, they need to reveal her back story at this point and get on with what's driving her hatred of the Jedi.

The writing is definitely up and down, but I think it's an enjoyable show regardless. Hell, despite the inconsistent writing and weak plot points it's better than Boba Fett, better than all three prequels (at least the first two), and better than TLJ and tRoS. Even some of the weak writing still feels very "Star Wars" to me. Let's be honest, it's not like the original films had airtight plots either. Which doesn't forgive or excuse weak writing but at least they're keeping it consistent with other examples of bad writing, know what I mean?

I don't get the Reva hate. Sure, she's not a great character, she's as one dimensional as it gets. But I'm looking at her as less of a character, and more a natural disaster. A lot of dark siders have started out like that, so consumed by their obsessions there's nothing left to them. Kind of like Doomsday from Superman comics; if you expect a character there, you'll be disappointed. But if you look at Doomsday and see a natural disaster in humanoid form, and don't expect anything of it except storms and fury, then you'll be much more entertained.

Reva is just hot rage, and she burns anything in her path, like a forest fire. The actress is doing a good job playing that. I'm actually quite impressed with her performance. It makes me wish she were being given deeper/better material to work with, but as far as storms and fury goes, she's knocking it out of the park. Most of the cast is; the kid who plays Leia is acting her ass off here, I think, and doing an excellent job (especially for one so young).

Didn't say anything about III but that scene where Kenobi sees the Imperial "bumper sticker" on the mole man's speeder...man that brought it home in a way, right? Surprisingly powerful little moment there.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-10-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.