Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Ehh, the ship was parked behind it and the entire episode was retreading the fact that Obi-Wan knew Anakin is aggressive and blind to things at times due to his aggressive nature. I absolutely buy that, rounding the corner and seeing the ship leaving, Vader would act first and think later.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can believe that since they were close, he sensed their presence, but the Force isn't able to locate with pinpoint accuracy. (and yeah, his emotions could have clouded his abilities)
    Good points. At any rate, I liked the scene even when I found it stretching credibility a bit. But ya'll have convinced me.

So I guess the big question now is, would Reva try to kill Luke to avenge herself on Anakin or would she want to use him to draw Vader into another confrontation?

As an act of revenge, it doesn't really work unless Vader knows he has a child.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It's getting pretty ridiculous how every time we see Vader he gets even more powerful, regardless of place in the timeline. In Star Wars he's slow-motion fighting an old man with a strip light, then in the next one he can fling filing cabinets around using power o' t' mind a bit. Now he can stop steering-wheel light sabres using jazz hands, pull spaceships out of the sky (though not see the identical spaceship parked behind it), and easily disco-dance around slices. I fully expect that by 2025 we will see him destroying an entire solar system with a pelvic thrust.
    If Rey could Force pull an in-flight spaceship in RISE OF SKYWALKER, then I can totally buy Darth Vader in his prime doing it. I bet RETURN OF THE JEDI/MANDALORIAN-era Luke could also do it, but we just haven't seen him need to do so yet.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Funny thing about the Inquisitors coming back from the dark side, this has happened sort of before. In REBELS, The Grand's spirit seemed to become a temple guard but this might've just been a force vision (Especially since another force ghost version of the inquisitor appears in the comics). Second Sister/Trilla also briefly returned to the light.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Stopped watching after episode 3. Vader and Obi-Wan fighting feels like they're ignoring the OT canon because they couldn't justify this show's existence so the solution to generate hype is "do better than the originals" Debating if I should continue.

Almost killing off the Grant Inqusitor further cements the feeling that it's "story we wanna tell" over canon.
    If "almost" killing the GI bothers you, I think you should just stop. Star Wars "canon" has always been thin and if strict adherence to canon in this fantasy property made mostly for kids is what you're here for, I don't anticipate you having a fun time.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-16-2022 at 09:12 PM.

Anakin is blinded by his desire to win. Trauma from the ending of ROTS? It was definitely a theme throughout the prequels with Anakin constantly trying to prove himself. And Obi-wan, being much more of a long-game guy, has always been able to exploit Anakin's desire for the quick victory. That may be my favorite part of this series, how it is again showing that relationship and how much like a big brother/little brother relationship it really has been all along.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Anakin is blinded by his desire to win. Trauma from the ending of ROTS? It was definitely a theme throughout the prequels with Anakin constantly trying to prove himself. And Obi-wan, being much more of a long-game guy, has always been able to exploit Anakin's desire for the quick victory. That may be my favorite part of this series, how it is again showing that relationship and how much like a big brother/little brother relationship it really has been all along.
    Yes, which wasn’t was the young Anakin really needed.Just unfortunate for him that the father/son relationship he could have had developed with Qui-gon had he lived, never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    part V

Great episode only 1 problem

How do you get a lightsaber run through your torso and not be dead almost instantly?
    This is somewhat different than cut in half. Accepting that Darth Maul is still alive is also a huge stretch.
    Eh, people suffer similar injuries in the real world all the time and survive. Shootings, car accidents, etc. The lightsaber would cauterize the wound to prevent bleeding out. And dark siders have a history of surviving worse. CBR actually has an article today about why Darth Maul survived getting cut in half (spoilers; dark side magic). Vader survived the fight with Kenobi on Mustafar despite losing three limbs and lying on a lava beach of burning rock for hours(?). Compared to that, Reva surviving a gut wound isn't noteworthy at all.

I agree that Maul surviving is a huge stretch (and I still think it was a mistake despite the cartoons doing great stuff with him), and far more onerous than any other injury someone in the franchise has walked away from.

And it seems that the plan wasn't to kill Reva anyway. The Grand Inquisitor says they're going to leave her in the gutter where they found her, that's her punishment; to be cast out and left with nothing but her own failure, to watch from afar as Vader does the Empire's work of crushing everything around them. If Vader had wanted her dead, I suspect he'd have done something far more....final.....than a gut wound. Cut off her head or Force-snap her neck or something.

Anyway, I think this was the strongest episode of the series. It's still a little up-and-down and inconsistent, but this episode was easily the strongest so far. I like that Reva was after Vader all along, that's been in the back of my head since the Younglings scene in episode 1: why would she go so hard after Kenobi while ignoring the fact that she's working for the guy who killed all her friends? The motivation just didn't make sense, but now it does; Kenobi was Reva's way to get close to Vader all along.

Really strong episode, Kenobi's actions felt perfectly in-character, as did Vader's, and the Reva-Vader fight was excellent. If the show just stopped here, I'd be satisfied. Hopefully next week's finale will be just as strong as this week's. The show has been weirdly inconsistent, but I'm hoping it ends strong. Still a fun show despite the flaws, but I think a lot of people will forgive those if it ends strong.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Now I'm wondering about Saw Gerrera due to all the talk of injuries. He seems fairly intact in REBELS but by Rogue One (about a year later) he's having trouble breathing, has a droid leg and is even more insane than he was before. I'm guessing ANDOR might answer that.

BANNED

It appears that the leaks were correct. I am not at all surprised. Though perhaps I am in the sense that I did not think the writing would be as bad as it is.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If "almost" killing the GI bothers you, I think you should just stop. Star Wars "canon" has always been thin and if strict adherence to canon in this fantasy property made mostly for kids is what you're here for, I don't anticipate you having a fun time.
    I mean when you have a whole group overseeing the story of Star Wars meant to keep track of all this stuff, I expected things to be more coherent. And I don't really think made-for-kids applies when there's a near equal amount of star wars media dedicated to adults like the Kenobi show. Also, arguably considering the GI debuted and died in a show made for kids, the children would be the ones confused about this.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Yes, which wasn’t was the young Anakin really needed.Just unfortunate for him that the father/son relationship he could have had developed with Qui-gon had he lived, never happened.
    you really think Qui-Gon mentorship would have change anything? the man didn't even realize that leaving Shmi indentured would adversely affect Anakin. Anakin seemed too messed already and Qui-Gon aversion of structure would have messed up that boy's upbringing even more IMHO. I'm surprised with how Obi-Wan turned out for having Qui-Gon as his Master.
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-18-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Hayden! They finally showed him in full. It wasn't the fan wet dream of them in their full Clone Wars cartoon garb, palling around with Captain Rex or doing a live-action version of that Crystal Crisis scene, but it was still nice and connected to the themes and duality of the episode well. I feel like they could've done a little more with Obi-Wan's hair but Hayden sounded a lot more like Matt Lanter to me.

I appreciate Bail placing importance on keeping Luke safe even if that also ended up screwing things up. Obi-Wan needs to be more careful with his devices.

Did I always underestimate or just not see Leia's mechanical skills? I guess it's an obvious tie to Anakin beyond her affinity for droids here.

Hey, Stormtroopers actually killed 2-3 people! One of them they had to get like right in front of them to actually hit them, but still.

Tala dying with her droid felt fitting, and Leia comes to understand the price of life that comes for fighting for what's right.

To the surprise of no one at this point, Reva was one of the younglings in the temple during the Order 66 sequence at the beginning and she's just been biding her time so she can get her revenge on Anakin because she saw him at the temple (and somehow was able to successfully play dead). Does this make people care about Reva more? I'm not sure.

"Where were you!?" - Well, fighting General Grievous, escaping from his own men, trying to get back to the temple...but too late to make much of a difference.

Oh no! Lola is evil! Oh wait, Leia just easily takes off the control chip. That was kind of anti-climactic. Also did Leia's lines seem overtly dubbed over to anyone else? It seemed like she was speaking without her mouth moving.

Vader vs Reva...went about as expected, showing just how outclassed Reva was and how she never had any real chance. Vader didn't even need to take out his own Lightsaber. It was cool to see her finally using the Inquisitor saber normally.

Also Grand Inquisitor walking in like he and his best bro Darth Vader were punking Reva the entire time was kind of funny. I was half-expecting them to do a secret Sith Fist Bump while she's lying there.

So now Reva knows about Luke and I assume will put two and two together, and if she goes after Luke Obi-Wan might have to do to her like he ends up doing to Maul unless he's able to talk her down, but we might get Obi-Wan getting his groove back in their inevitable fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    you really think Qui-Gon mentorship would have change anything? the man didn't even realize that leaving Shmi indentured would adversely affect Anakin. Anakin seemed too messed already and Qui-Gon aversion of structure would have messed up that boy's upbringing even more IMHO. I'm surprised with how Obi-Wan turned out for having Qui-Gon as his Master.
    I think the Master and Apprentice novel shows how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon found their footing as a team and what Obi-Wan learned from Qui-Gon.

We don't see a lot of Leia's mechanical skills in the OT, mainly that she's pretty good with a blaster. She does work on and co-pilot the Falcon a bit in ESB but I think that's it. Some of the EU-old and new-has her pilot starfighters.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    We don't see a lot of Leia's mechanical skills in the OT, mainly that she's pretty good with a blaster. She does work on and co-pilot the Falcon a bit in ESB but I think that's it. Some of the EU-old and new-has her pilot starfighters.
    I guess it's good to know she gets more from her dad than just his temper.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    And I don't really think made-for-kids applies when there's a near equal amount of star wars media dedicated to adults like the Kenobi show. Also, arguably considering the GI debuted and died in a show made for kids, the children would be the ones confused about this.
    I think kids were probably more patient than a lot of adults when it came to the GI's "death." I don't have demos, but these shows have had Grogu, Omega now Leia. It's definitely aiming towards kids as much, if not moreso than adults.