Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Does anybody else have trouble watching Owen and Bail sometimes, knowing the horrific deaths in their future?
    It's an interesting question. It is sad, but to me, also makes them more mythic.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    No, but it makes me sad thinking how we never saw Luke pay them the proper respects of having raised him.

And it also makes me think that in "A New Hope," they went down fighting... to the point where the Storm Troopers had to bring out the big guns to fry them, rather then just a simple blaster or two to take them down.
    That works for me. It gives depth to Luke's regret (although most of the canonical scenes don't show it).

I think Luke might've at least buried them. We do see some gravestones in AOTC; at least one is for Shmi, but there's no sign of them in A New Hope or Rise Of Skywalker, but it's possible the Tatooine sands covered them.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I would complain that what happened with Vader was too close to what happened on Rebels, but it still works very well, and it's great to have Hayden there. I dug the Obi-Wan vs. Vader fight, and I loved Obi-Wan's words to Leia. Luke was almost unnecessary, but the less time he spends around Force Users, the better.

With Qui-Gon here, though, it makes me wonder how Vader learned how to become a Force Ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    ps: The Lars are way tougher than I thought. Must have gone down fighting in ANH, and not just executed. Probably a bunch of dead stormtroopers in the farm. Or hell maybe those skeletons were stormtroopers but they actually got away. Nah not really. Hits different that Ben, Owen, Brie, Bail and his wife all died within a couple days of each other.
    Yeah, they were much more capable guardians of Luke than everyone gave them credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The technology will keep getting better and more refined, and they will keep doing it whenever they need to do it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a show in the not-too-distant future featuring Luke, Leia, Chewie, Han and the droids in an adventure set between Episodes 4 and 5, where the big three are MoCap/Cgi creations with sound-alikes doing the voices (they can probably get Mark, but I doubt Harrison would want to do it).
    I'd feel bad for the Solo actor if he wants to play Han again but they pass him over for some CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I was disappointed overall. Another person escapes the Dark Side, which is supposed to be nearly impossible and further devalues Vaders redemption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iatet View Post
    Why do so-called fans, think that because a character isn't in the original trilogy, they should be dead, or are killed off elsewhere? That seems kinda lizard brained.
    A good writer can write in and out characters without killing them to appease the fanbase.
    Characters like Reva are definitely a problem with things set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, with so many characters just no believing in the Force. At least Rebels had the sense to shoo off anyone with Force powers by the end of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Obi-Wan still the only canon Jedi other than Luke to say they conclusively beat Vader...I think?
    Is Darth Vader stronger than Anakin Skywalker?

An after thought. This makes ANH sadder. If I recall, Obi-Wan and Leah never see each other on the Death Star. In the scene when they are running into the Falcon as Obi-WQan gives himself up, you can't tell if they do. Luke stops to look, but not his sister. So it's a reunion that doesn't happen.
    Of course they didn't know each other when ANH was made and there was no reason for Leah to show grief. (of course she didn't so much grief over Alderon and he family either). But now they have reconned something new we can continually argue over.
    Yeah, revisiting ANH-era Leia would have to mean deepening her relationship with Obi-Wan. She did name her son after him and everything.

I agree jack. These are all fun, but I find it funny when fans defend obvious inconsistencies between different shows, movies and cartoons as if they can't possibly exist. It is like arguing with a Bible literalist.
    Remember when they made a whole film to explain George not knowing that a parsec is a measure of distance (Or was it Han - and therefore actually good writing that went over people's heads?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Remember when they made a whole film to explain George not knowing that a parsec is a measure of distance (Or was it Han - and therefore actually good writing that went over people's heads?)
    Yes, a perennial debate in the Star Warsverse.

As for Andor, that really ups the ante on the doomed characters in these shows. It will be hard to watch without constantly thinking what happens in Rouge One.

And the more I think about it, this show makes what happens between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH make even less sense. Especially Obi-Wan's suicide. And no, he never became more powerful than we could possibly imagine. And no fansplaining makes it so.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 06-28-2022 at 06:48 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

This series went in an entirely different direction than I expected.

I thought Obi-Wan, now no match for Vader, would convincingly fake his death in his last confrontation with Vader until ANH.

I have mixed feelings about the finale. Loved seeing Ewan and Hayden getting the chance to interact again, but wish they had stuck with dream or flashbacks rather than an actual meeting. The idea of both of these men having palpable dread at the thought of ever running into each other again after ROTS is more powerful imo.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    This series went in an entirely different direction than I expected.

I thought Obi-Wan, now no match for Vader, would convincingly fake his death in his last confrontation with Vader until ANH.

I have mixed feelings about the finale. Loved seeing Ewan and Hayden getting the chance to interact again, but wish they had stuck with dream or flashbacks rather than an actual meeting. The idea of both of these men having palpable dread at the thought of ever running into each other again after ROTS is more powerful imo.
    A part of me still prefers Obi-Wan having never left Tatooine once since Revenge of the Sith and nothing happened until Maul showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A part of me still prefers Obi-Wan having never left Tatooine once since Revenge of the Sith and nothing happened until Maul showed up.
    In terms of emotional impact, that's weightier.

The sheer oppressive isolation of it all. Ben growing into the hermit role, partially as a cover and partially as the inevitable result of his isolation.

I like the idea of Ben faking his death in a confrontation with Vader, too. I think it fits his style more. He's always preferred manipulation to direct conflict whenever possible.

At any rate, I don't think it will benefit the franchise long-term if Obi-Wan actually fought Vader twenty times in between ROTS and ANH!

Boisterously Confused

...At any rate, I don't think it will benefit the franchise long-term if Obi-Wan actually fought Vader twenty times in between ROTS and ANH!
    Absolutely agree. It's the thing that makes me uneasy about all the talk of a season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Absolutely agree. It's the thing that makes me uneasy about all the talk of a season 2.
    The thing that grabbed me the most about the show was those first two episodes, where Obi-Wan was calling out to Qui-Gon Jinn without any answer. I feel like they should have taken longer to build up to his reunion with Qui-Gonn, it felt overly sentimental compared to the seeding at the beginning of the show.

I'd be excited to see a Season 2 if they could let the conflict between Obi-Wan and Vader play out from vast distances rather than a face to face confrontation. If Obi-Wan has adventures, let it be more covert.
    Last edited by David Walton; 06-28-2022 at 11:06 AM.

So apparently the original writer for the Obi-Wan film (that was later scrapped and turned into the show without his input) says his script had a very different ending:

--Reva was not aware that Darth Vader was, in fact, Anakin, and it was Obi-Wan that made her aware that she's actually working for the guy that tried to kill her when she was a youngling

--Reva then sacrificed herself by telling Vader she had killed Obi-Wan, knowing he would then kill her

So apparently the original writer for the Obi-Wan film (that was later scrapped and turned into the show without his input) says his script had a very different ending:

--Reva was not aware that Darth Vader was, in fact, Anakin, and it was Obi-Wan that made her aware that she's actually working for the guy that tried to kill her when she was a youngling

--Reva then sacrificed herself by telling Vader she had killed Obi-Wan, knowing he would then kill her
    Hmm...I wonder if this would have been a better ending.

Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Having Reva not know it was Anakin would have made her seem more clever. As it is, a mynock with head trauma could have easily seen through the plan to join and then secretly betray the guy who killed all your friends.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.