All-New Member

Default Is Chris Claremont still writing at all?

Has he officially retired? Just thought about how I haven’t seen anything from him in a while.

He has exclusive contract with Marvel, but they don't give him much to write, except some one shots in two years or some anniversary issues.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

He's scheduled to write some stories for X-Men Legends and I for one am looking forward to them.

Amazing Member

My understanding is he's basically paid not to write. His name is too big to let go somewhere else, but also too far past his prime to give him an ongoing. I don't feel that way, but I'm pretty sure that's how Marvel feels.

Incredible Member

Uncanny X-Men 140.5, a prequel to Days of Future Past, is supposed to come out on Wednesday, I believe - it releases with the Marvel Made Paragon collection and I've always assumed that DC and Marvel use the fifth week in five-week months for special releases like that. Before that, he had an anniversary special come out that gave some context to his earlier stories.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mozzle View Post
    My understanding is he's basically paid not to write. His name is too big to let go somewhere else, but also too far past his prime to give him an ongoing. I don't feel that way, but I'm pretty sure that's how Marvel feels.
    I always found this argument pretty baffling to be honest, in reference to Marvel thinking Claremont is too big a name to go write books for DC. Obviously not many writers have created franchises of the magnitude of Claremont's but I don't really see what Marvel would have to fear if he did a couple of books for the competition. I always thought an exclusive contract in perpetuity was something he negotiated for himself in order to step down as Editorial Director in the early 2000s rather than a free gift from Marvel in exchange for writing nothing.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I think his contract isn't so much to keep him from going to DC, but as a way of helping him and of Marvel not being (rightly) accused yet again of not helping the people that made them so much money.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

He very recently, is in this year, wrote the Chris Claremont Anniversary issue featuring Mirage.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Uncanny X-Men 140.5, a prequel to Days of Future Past, is supposed to come out on Wednesday, I believe - it releases with the Marvel Made Paragon collection and I've always assumed that DC and Marvel use the fifth week in five-week months for special releases like that. Before that, he had an anniversary special come out that gave some context to his earlier stories.
    I was wondering when that was being sent out. Can’t wait for it whenever it is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I was wondering when that was being sent out. Can’t wait for it whenever it is.
    I could be wrong, since no news has come out about it since February (when Claremont posted on his instagram about it), but Marvel said March and the 31st is the most logical date for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    I could be wrong, since no news has come out about it since February (when Claremont posted on his instagram about it), but Marvel said March and the 31st is the most logical date for it.
    Considering there's only one day left, the 31st is the only date for it