Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I didn't realize Ranma was so diesel lol

Also I just realized Mantis from the comics bears little resemblance to Mantis from the movies
    Last edited by Postmania; 03-30-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post

Also I just realized Mantis from the comics bears little resemblance to Mantis from the movies
    Ranma (and Ryoga, honestly) kind of straddles that street level and above line. Depending on whom he faces. For instance, he faced off against the Phoenix King, and due to a certain technique (with his own spin on it), he turned the Chi of his opponent back onto them. Resulting in not only Ranma's win, but a mountain being leveled.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    She *might* have a chance against him from the beginning of the series, but even then she's gonna have trouble doing anything to him through his durability (pressure points are probably not going to be a reliable choice against someone that's as fast as beginning of series Ranma) and would be severely injured by even a glancing blow and Ranma got lots faster a few volumes in and got at least one other major speed boost by the middle of the series. And that's not even without taking into account his wide-angle attacks.
    This.

I feel Cass MIGHT have a chance pre-Amiguriken, IF she can land pressure point. Nothing else will do (he’s too damn tough), and if Ranma tags her, she starts to break immediately. And, like Drunken Kid, I’m thin on her landing them perfectly on Ranma.

Amiguriken arc or later Ranma absolutely crushes her as if she’s nothing.

...I guess he might say something like ‘Hey, you’re pretty quick!’...before blitz-hitting her four hundred times so fast it looks like a single punch.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

For those interested in a fun speed feat for Ranma that's even FASTER than it seems to look in the comics, Ranma versus Ryouga, Amiguriken arc.

We know that Ranma is hitting Ryouga 300 - 400 times so fast that to the watchers it looks like he's hitting him with a single, weird punch. Even Ryouga doesn't figure it out at first (though being highly skilled and quite quick himself, he eventually does).

But here's the thing - how quick IS Ryouga?

Ryouga has some nice speedfeats through the series, but one of his best actually takes place in the exact same arc. Cologne ties him to the end of a rope, ties a ~5 ton boulder to the end of another rope, and swings the two pendulums toward each other with the idea of them colliding in the middle. So when they meet, they're going pretty fast toward each other.

But once Ryouga is in arms length of the boulder, he proceeds to stab his finger into the boulder a whole bunch of times before it hits him. How hard? Hard enough to poke 1"-2" holes in the granite. So not just 'poking' it. How much time does he have? Fraction of a second - these are two pendulums at their fastest points, swinging at each other (so combined velocities). How many times? I don't know how many times in the original Japanese, but in the English version it's ~50 holes. Accurately spelling out Akane's name.

Let's consider that level of speed for a moment. In a (small) fraction of a second, Ryouga pokes the boulder 50 times accurately enough to write a name and hard enough that each poke smashes a 1"-2" hole in the granite.

That..is ridiculously fast.

And Ryouga, at point-blank range, still takes a couple of attacks to figure out that Ranma is throwing 400 punches, not 1.

Everything that happens in Ranma tends to happen in front of superfast martial artists, so it's worth judging it from that perspective.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post

I wish I could see the look on your face when you fight out who Mantis married in the 616 universe.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Ranma (and Ryoga, honestly) kind of straddles that street level and above line. Depending on whom he faces. For instance, he faced off against the Phoenix King, and due to a certain technique (with his own spin on it), he turned the Chi of his opponent back onto them. Resulting in not only Ranma's win, but a mountain being leveled.
    Guy's a class 50 multi-mach speedster with a bunch of exotic ki powers and skills that let him punch way above that level. I'd say he's only anywhere near street level in that he walks on a street, but he actually doesn't.

I'd rate him in Dragon Ball terms as exactly between Drum and King Piccolo. He'd beat the former and lose to the latter. Mind you both are almost certainly physically a lot stronger than him.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 03-30-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    And Ryouga, at point-blank range, still takes a couple of attacks to figure out that Ranma is throwing 400 punches, not 1.
    Even Cologne didn't notice in the first shot. It's one of those bits where Akane's status as exposition-girl actually speaks to her probably having a ton of untapped potential, because she noticed it right away.

Speaking of which, for early early speedfeats. there's also Ranma hitting Mikado ~500 times (there's an exact number but I forget what it is) in a super fast melee over a few seconds where they were presumably exchanging blows and he had to do more than just land hits. THAT bit is at a point where Ryoga and Ranma are still more or less evenly matched for speed and strength.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Guy's a class 50 multi-mach speedster with a bunch of exotic ki powers and skills that let him punch way above that level. I'd say he's only anywhere near street level in that he walks on a street, but he actually doesn't.

I'd rate him in Dragon Ball terms as exactly between Drum and King Piccolo. He'd beat the former and lose to the latter.
    Like Spider-Man being considered street level because he has to be just a guy as a civilian and keeps his streets safe... in a city where bad guys he has to fight on the regular can access weird science and become unpunchable materials, or be visited by aliens.

I think that's more a matter of the street being Ranma-level

The Akane name feat is especially impressive because he wrote her name in especially large characters and with perfect handwriting. Just putting that out there.

But I dunno if it's something we can give Ryoga. That was pretty power of love like plot power

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    We're going to need to go higher than Mantis, I think. As Bitvyper notes, Ranma has the speed to keep up with her (if not surpass). He also has the durability to take repeated strikes from someone who clocks in around Class 60 (Ryouga) without immediately folding, is running into the Class 50+ ballpark himself when one looks at his best feats, has powerful range and area affecting techniques...and is ridiculously skilled, even by comic book standards.

Martial arts-wise, I'm going with what Bitvyper says: we're looking at Wonder Woman, 'because she's a martial artist'. Or Karate Kid (who, to be fair, ruins Ranma's day, but there's a fair gap between Val and Everyone Else™). That kind of thing. People on the higher end of what is normally thought of as 'Comic book martial artist' (ie, Iron Fist) just get steamrolled by Ranma.
    I think you might need the DTG Comic Guys here at the very least.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Incredible Member

The answer is to play off of his weaknesses

So my answer is Tigra

What about the peakest martial artist of all...

VARGAS

"What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Incredible Member

I hope that's the marvel version because otherwise I'm very interest on how a pin up girl artist beats ramna.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post
    What about the peakest martial artist of all...

VARGAS

He does have feats of being peak enough to beat up Class 50s (Classic Rogue), but due to Ranma’s speed, Vargas might need to evolve to his next form of peakiness.

And get an even bigger sword.

Eventually he will be so peak human that he has FTL peak human reactions, and wields a peak human sword the size of the sun.

He is the peakiest it is possible to be. And yet he will be peakier.