Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Weakest DC/Marvel Martial Artist to defeat Ranma Saotome?

Are there any Martial Artist from the DC or Marvel universes who can beat Ranma Saotome?

...well yes, because Karate Kid exists, but is there anyone besides him who can do it?

It would be an in-character fight, not a bloodlusted fight

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Not super familiar with Marvel/DC martial arts stuff, but I feel like this is gonna be a "technically Wonder Woman is a martial artist" sort of thing. In-character at least means probably no umisenken perception filter hax, but while he's typically the underdog in his own series, Ranma's like a very optimized tabletop character with good synergies and he's got the mind to use them properly.

I'd say they're either going to need to be like high end multi-mach fast or durable enough to be able to spend a day or two tiring him out for a start. Takahashi is just way too good at conveying a ridiculous skill level in her art, and Ranma pretty consistently proves extremely difficult to hit even for characters at or above his own stats and skill, even with wide area attack spamming. That wouldn't be so bad if he couldn't pull off his biggest most powerful attack while dodging, basically at no cost in stamina. And this isn't even beginning to get into the whole stack of other bullshit he can pull off. Plus he's pretty durable and tenacious in his own right.

The impression I generally get is that most of the Marvel/DC guys whose powersets could be described as "martial arts" cap out around Spiderman level, and I definitely don't think that's even enough to pressure Ranma too much. That's like, enough to get accidentally engaged to him and then get shuffled into the background as a B-list fiance.

I don't know much about her except that she fights Wonder Woman, but Cheetah is a martial artist, right? Might be swinging into being a curbstomp in the other direction for all I know, but at the very least, I'd like to see that fight, because cat fist is always entertaining.

Really though, what I want from Ranma-in-DC is two things: 1. Ranma goes into cat mode because of one cat-themed character or another and they're stuck dealing with it. 2. Ranma ends up on Themyscira having to avoid hot water while everybody wants to take her to public baths because they're Greek.

On the other hand, in-character and unbloodlusted means Ranma could just lose a fight from being a dumbass. It's not like that's never happened. Or just not wanting to kill someone, since otherwise Parlez du Foie Gras is a pretty solid technique to just shotgun some brick's throat full of sand if they're too durable to hurt.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 03-30-2021 at 12:45 AM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

The next step down after Val is usually Mantis.

Ludicrous bullet-timer / low-level-speedster reactions, and has done things like knock Thor unconscious with pressure point strikes.

The tiers, if there are any, are very much:

Karate Kid >>> Mantis >>> Everyone else.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Ludicrous bullet-timer / low-level-speedster reactions, and has done things like knock Thor unconscious with pressure point strikes.
    Depends on what ludicrous bullet timing means, really. Ranma is quantifiably in the upper ends of bullet time fairly early in the series (catching armloads of shrapnel from industrial-sized explosions centred on himself, one piece at a time, the other amaguriken stuff), and gets several significant speed upgrades over its course, notably the umisenken training (where aside from just plain getting demonstrably faster, we have him stealing the foundation of a house so fast the entire floor collapses straight down, stealing an entire battlefield, and also moving too fast for speedsters previously on his level to react) and the parlez du foie gras (which he has to train up for and ultimately is tossing food into the mouths of bystanding speedsters faster than they can react). So he's pretty fast.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

We're going to need to go higher than Mantis, I think. As Bitvyper notes, Ranma has the speed to keep up with her (if not surpass). He also has the durability to take repeated strikes from someone who clocks in around Class 60 (Ryouga) without immediately folding, is running into the Class 50+ ballpark himself when one looks at his best feats, has powerful range and area affecting techniques...and is ridiculously skilled, even by comic book standards.

Martial arts-wise, I'm going with what Bitvyper says: we're looking at Wonder Woman, 'because she's a martial artist'. Or Karate Kid (who, to be fair, ruins Ranma's day, but there's a fair gap between Val and Everyone Else™). That kind of thing. People on the higher end of what is normally thought of as 'Comic book martial artist' (ie, Iron Fist) just get steamrolled by Ranma.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Maybe like... Mandarin on his absolute A-Game? He certainly punches hard enough to get Ranma's attention.

He might be a bit too slow though.

Ranma is stupidly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Maybe like... Mandarin on his absolute A-Game? He certainly punches hard enough to get Ranma's attention.

He might be a bit too slow though.

Ranma is stupidly quick.
    Good choice, but yeah, too slow.

Mandarin certainly hits hard enough to seriously hurt Ranma. He's tough enough to weather Ranma's hits for a while as well, and Ranma will likely need to either go pressure points himself or hit him with a special technique multiple times. But I feel that's pretty much how the fight goes - Mandy gets battered around by Ranma for a while, completely unable to hit his smaller opponent (while Ranma likely makes stupid-faces and mocks him), then gets taken out by a bunch of different special attacks culminating in a Hiryuu Shoten Ha. Or the like.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Does the Champion of the Universe count as a martial artist?

Meh... he always loses anyway.

What about Midnight Sun?

(Yes, I will always bring Midnight Sun into any discussion if it’s valid.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Good choice, but yeah, too slow.

Mandarin certainly hits hard enough to seriously hurt Ranma. He's tough enough to weather Ranma's hits for a while as well, and Ranma will likely need to either go pressure points himself or hit him with a special technique multiple times. But I feel that's pretty much how the fight goes - Mandy gets battered around by Ranma for a while, completely unable to hit his smaller opponent (while Ranma likely makes stupid-faces and mocks him), then gets taken out by a bunch of different special attacks culminating in a Hiryuu Shoten Ha. Or the like.
    Doesn't Mandy have a forcefield? If he doesn't immediately get KO'd he could activate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Doesn't Mandy have a forcefield? If he doesn't immediately get KO'd he could activate it.
    Oh, he’s tough enough to activate it.

It’s kind of ‘win because technically a martial artist but would lose without using his rings to protect himself’. Which, for me, rather violates the spirit of the rumble because Mandy sure as heck isn’t winning due to martial art skills or even his own special abilities.

He’s winning ‘because magic ring’.
    Why are we here?

Does the Champion of the Universe count as a martial artist?

Meh... he always loses anyway.

What about Midnight Sun?

(Yes, I will always bring Midnight Sun into any discussion if it’s valid.)
    Champion...should win. Eventually. Unless Ranma manages something REALLY weird like the Moxibustion point which, on-character, he won’t.

Class 100 is a bridge too far.

He of the Fedora dukes it out with Heralds.
    Why are we here?

And how would Ranma cope with having thousands of spiders thrown their way? Bo9S is definitely a martial artist. Likewise Prince of Orphans.

And how would Ranma cope with having thousands of spiders thrown their way? Bo9S is definitely a martial artist. Likewise Prince of Orphans.
    Hiriyuu Shoten Ha deals with the spiders. Or simply swatting then all, one at a time, like he does with swarms of bees.

Prince of Orphans needs to manifest to hit. Edit - unsure on this... Ranma, being tons faster, breaks what manifests. Alternately HSH to disperse him.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-30-2021 at 06:59 AM.
    Why are we here?

...not sure PoO can hurt Ranma, really.
    Why are we here?

In character, I imagine a lot of screaming and running before Ranma got serious with Bride of Nine Spiders.
    Why are we here?