Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I said this in another thread, but the most likely reasons redheads tend to get racebent is that the majority of them are supporting characters and not the main character. Most adaptations of golden and silver age source material (understandably) racebend some of the cast to increase the diversity level, but they very rarely are gonna be bold enough to actually do so to the lead character.

Look at the list of the redheads fans complain about being racebent:

Mary Jane - Love interest
    Commissioner Gordon - Supporting ally (and even then has he EVER been portrayed by a redhead in any adaptation even before Jeffrey Wright was cast?)
    Iris West - Love interest
    Jimmy Olsen - Main character's best friend
    Bow - Supporting character

Wally West is pretty much the only racebent redhead character who was an actual lead, and even that got retconned away.

The discussion also ignores that this happens to pretty much every hair color demographic as well. Is Valkyrie being a black woman in the MCU blonde erasure now? Hell, in the new Superman cartoon people are already bitching about, they look to have an Asian-American Lois in addition to Jimmy being black.
    No. He has generally been shown as an old white man with gray, white or little hair.

To be fair both Mary Jane and Jimmy Olsen held solo books. Jimmy having way more success than Mary Jane. So that is 3 leads.

Folks will tolerate an Asian Lois. It seems having a black Jimmy is more annoying to many. Since shows act like Ron (Lana's husband) or Ben (yet another black boyfriend for Supergirl that she lost are not there.

Retired

When I look at many of my favourite characters in fiction, there are a lot that are red-headed. And that's not just super-heroes or comic books. Yet, red hair is not supposed to be that common in reality. So I'd say that the red hair was chosen by so many creators because it's visually interesting. It makes the character stand out in a crowd.

oh so we just oging to ignore the DC Redheads that are treated relatively well

Starfire
    Barbra Gordon
    Batwoman
    Poison Ivy
    Ms. Martian
    Artemis
    Grace Choi (if they ever bring her back)
    Orion
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Starfire
    Barbra Gordon
    Batwoman
    Poison Ivy
    Ms. Martian
    Artemis
    Orion
    Grace recently appeared in DC Festival of Heroes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Starfire
    Barbra Gordon
    Batwoman
    Poison Ivy
    Ms. Martian
    Artemis
    Orion
    Nope, what I am talking about is those redhead male character not female since some of them are fines.

It's just that redhead men are getting the gut of poor treatment as compared to female.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    MARY JANE, JEAN GREY, DAREDEVIL, BLACK WIDOW all have an ongoing books that keep them going. Even most the X-women are redheads (RACHEL, HOPE, FIRESTAR, WOLFBANE). Beside,redhead/gingers most of them don't treat them very harsely compare to DC COMICS where they treat WALLY WEST into a villain/ get killed, GUY GARDNER a jerk and BARBARA GORDON into an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Nope, what I am talking about is those redhead male character not female since some of them are fines.

It's just that redhead men are getting the gut of poor treatment as compared to female.
    Ahem... Cough.

Seems to me that you were talking mostly about both. Don't move the goal post just so you can rag on DC.
    Last edited by dietrich; 06-29-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No. He has generally been shown as an old white man with gray, white or little hair.

To be fair both Mary Jane and Jimmy Olsen held solo books. Jimmy having way more success than Mary Jane. So that is 3 leads.

Folks will tolerate an Asian Lois. It seems having a black Jimmy is more annoying to many. Since shows act like Ron (Lana's husband) or Ben (yet another black boyfriend for Supergirl that she lost are not there.
    In the contexts these characters are adapted in, they're absolutely supported characters. The show ain't called My Adventures With Jimmy Olsen and the movie ain't MJ: Homecoming.

Extraordinary Member

Every time I see a thread that says "Marvel does X better than DC" or vice versa "DC does X better than Marvel," I find it's only a matter of time until the premise is entirely debunked...

Retired

What bugs me about changing hair colour is it indicates that the change-makers have not considered the hair colour that important--and haven't put a lot of thought into why a character was conceived the way they were in the first place.

Yet that Anne Shirley has red hair in the Lucy Maude Montgomery stories is an important aspect of who she is and why people treat her the way they do. Pippi Långstrump must absolutely have red hair, being a hell-raiser that upsets the apple cart. Pumuckl would not be the lovable and mischievous Kobold that he is, if his hair were not red. Archie Andrews is that annoying red-headed teen who is always making moves on Hiram Lodge's daughter. Jabez Wilson in "The Red-Headed League" must have a flame haired hue to be admitted and it would not be the same story if Conan Doyle had made it the "The Brown-Haired League." The buoyant blonde pony-tail of Sugar Plumm contrasts with the mop of red on her doll boy, Spike Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What bugs me about changing hair colour is it indicates that the change-makers have not considered the hair colour that important--and haven't put a lot of thought into why a character was conceived the way they were in the first place.

Yet that Anne Shirley has red hair in the Lucy Maude Montgomery stories is an important aspect of who she is and why people treat her the way they do. Pippi Långstrump must absolutely have red hair, being a hell-raiser that upsets the apple cart. Pumuckl would not be the lovable and mischievous Kobold that he is, if his hair were not red. Archie Andrews is that annoying red-headed teen who is always making moves on Hiram Lodge's daughter. Jabez Wilson in "The Red-Headed League" must have a flame haired hue to be admitted and it would not be the same story if Conan Doyle had made it the "The Brown-Haired League." The buoyant blonde pony-tail of Sugar Plumm contrasts with the mop of red on her doll boy, Spike Wilson.
    With the exception of Lucy and Jabez, none of these characters' hair color is important to them. Hiram doesn't have an issue with Archie because of his hair, he hates him because he's an immature klutz who also refuses to decide between his daughter and Betty. Hair color has nothing to do with being a trouble maker, and if anything that notion is playing into the stereotypes about redheads that led to them being bullied or ostracized.

People must have must lost it when Black Widow showed up in IW with blonde hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    People must have must lost it when Black Widow showed up in IW with blonde hair.
    They didn't. That's how you know the majority of this "redhead erasure" complaining is b.s.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They didn't. That's how you know the majority of this "redhead erasure" complaining is b.s.
    That's because the "furor" is more to do with CB fans than with the mainstream.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I did wonder if she just aged up or something.
    Or saw a ghost in the last film she was in.
    Or had her lifeforce drained out by a vampire in preparation of the Darkhold storyline.

And I don't know if I'd count Starfire. Almost everybody on that show has neon dayglo hair. If anything, her hair is something of a parody by being so... out there.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

And I don't know if I'd count Starfire. Almost everybody on that show has neon dayglo hair. If anything, her hair is something of a parody by being so... out there.
    What do you mean by this?