Spectacular Member

Default Recommendations for comics for a 10 year old

Hi all, what would you recommend for a 10 year old boy to read. He's not a native English Speaker I should say.

So any thoughts?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    Hi all, what would you recommend for a 10 year old boy to read. He's not a native English Speaker I should say.

So any thoughts?
    So how well does he read? I don't think Marvel has anything geared towards young readers right now. They used to have the Marvel Adventures titles which were geared towards younger readers. you might be able to find some at a local comic shop. The one I go to keeps a section of them.

Maybe you might want to try out some of the Marvel cartoons?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-30-2021 at 11:10 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So how well does he read? I don't think Marvel has anything geared towards young readers right now. They used to have the Marvel Adventures titles which were geared towards younger readers. Maybe you might want to try out some of the Marvel cartoons?
    Maybe the Marvel Adventures Spider-Man - it was a Marvel all ages title

Yes, that would be a good choice. I think some book stores used to carry them in the digest format. They still may have some in stock.

Spectacular Member

Need to get them online as I am teaching him English online, so will have to share the screen etc. Will work it out. Thanks for the push to remember these :-)

Marvel Unlimited gives you pretty much all Marvel comics from the last 60 years at $10/month I believe. The early 1960's stuff is probably the most kid-friendly. It's digital so screen-sharing should be doable.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Marvel Unlimited gives you pretty much all Marvel comics from the last 60 years at $10/month I believe. The early 1960's stuff is probably the most kid-friendly. It's digital so screen-sharing should be doable.
    That would be a good source too since I think you can at least try it out for free on this link

Fantastic Member

I also recommend Marvel Unlimited.

It seems current Marvel children's titles seem to be geared more towards young girls as the protagonist. I don't know if young boys would have an issue with this.

Here are all the series

https://www.marvel.com/comics/series

1)Anything with Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) is kid-friendly I think.

2)Anything with "Squirrel Girl" though the Squirrel Girl plots are a bit complex with things like time paradoxes.

3) Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham. Very simple fun stories.

4) I agree with Celtic1967 about 60s comics. I particularly like Dr. Strange from the 60s and 70s... This starts with "Strange Tales" #110. All the Strange Tales comics seem to have 1 story of Human Torch and 1 story of Dr. Strange. I skip the Human Torch stories, but they are also fine for kids.

Spectacular Member

Update - I spoke to my student and she said her son will enjoy Spider-Man as he likes the character

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    Update - I spoke to my student and she said her son will enjoy Spider-Man as he likes the character
    You should be able to find a lot of stuff for his age then. I was just browsing Marvel Unlimited and there were a few newer comics that are "All Ages" called Marvel Super Hero Adventures that came out in 2018 - 2019.

And on Previewsworld, I saw an entry for a new title which had it's first issue March 31st called Marvel Action Spider-Man. . You might be able to find that in your local comic shop to try out.
    You can find a lot of the Marvel cartoons on Disney Plus too! They recently added the app on Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So how well does he read? I don't think Marvel has anything geared towards young readers right now.
    That's because they farmed that out to IDW. Have you not heard of their Marvel Action line?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel Action line from IDW is great. I'd also recommend Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. it's not a current ongoing bit there are plenty of trades available. Depending on maturity level, I'd also recommend the Unstoppable Wasp by Jeremy Whitley.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast