Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I will disagree with you that he's crap now, but that's irrelevant. I think the bigger issue here is that he didn't write enough Batman to be considered a Batman writer. The short works he did for Batman were excellent, of course, but still, when I think of Frank Miller, I think "Daredevil writer," not "Batman writer"

I'm surprised so many are listing Miller.
    I think it is about impact, he didn't write much, but what he wrote landed and pretty much everything these days is either inspired by his work or done on purpose to be opposite of it.

For me:

Denny O'Neil
    Frank Miller
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    No one's mentioned Alan Grant? He's the first person who pops into my head.
    I love Grant, he and Breyfogle did great stuff together. I honestly enjoy his Batman more than Morrisons, but I acknowledge Morrison's influence on the character. For Miller, DKR and Year One are probably the most influential Batman stories of all time. DK2 was hot garbage. DKIII and it's one-shots were pretty good, but far from seminal works. ASBR was only saved by Lee's art, outside of that it's not very good.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Chuck Dixon is amongst the first that come to mind because he's written SO much Bat.

Denny O'Neil for sure, his contributions as writer and editor can't be overstated.

And then Grant Morrison, his Batman run was so good, so extensive and so celebrated, he's rightfully earned his place as a top Batman creator of all time.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Nice troll man. There is always that guy who will try to be funny but fails.

On a more serious note:
    To me Alan Moore shouldn't even be concidered.
    He gave an origin to the Joker we didn't need. And The Killing wasn't that great of a story. Even himself considers it one of his worst stories.
    Tom King, come on, there are far better runs than his.
    The quality of the Killing Joke is comparable to a middling episode of Batman the Animated Series. For a far memorable Moore Batman story, check out Mortal Clay from Batman Annual 11.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 04-01-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The quality of the Killing Joke is comparable to a middling episode of Batman the Animated Series. For a far memorable Moore Batman story, check out Mortal Clay from Batman Annual 11.
    Both this and Batman's appearance in Swamp Thing are way better experiences for Moore written Batman than trying to get through TKJ, which is pretty mediocre outside of the art

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Denny O'Neil-The guy who brought seriousness back to Batman

Chuck Dixon-No one writes a better Riddler than him and he did spectacular work with the other villains as well

Paul Dini-Probably the most well-rounded writer of the group

Honorable Mentions: Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Alan Grant, Doug Moench, Greg Rucka.

My Top (3) Three:

1. Timm/Dini (tie)

2. Dennis O'Neil

3. Chuck Dixon

Denny O'Neil
    Doug Moench
    Bill Finger

Honourable mention to Steve Englehart, Mike Barr and Bob Haney (I know his stories were bizarre and whacky but his Brave and the Bold with Jim Aparo was my introduction to so many DC characters including Batman)

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I will disagree with you that he's crap now, but that's irrelevant. I think the bigger issue here is that he didn't write enough Batman to be considered a Batman writer. The short works he did for Batman were excellent, of course, but still, when I think of Frank Miller, I think "Daredevil writer," not "Batman writer"

I'm surprised so many are listing Miller.
    I think quality over quantity. You write a super classic Batman story, you count as a Batman writer. But to each their own.