Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 429
  1. #1
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,590

    Default X-men #19 Review/Spoiler - In the Fire of Each Other



    Theres a data page which shows whats happened with the X-men. They've made attempts to contact the outside world unsuccessfully. Synch has been able to preserve DNA in a stasis pod for future use

    We see the team breach the City and come across pods where Children are being incubated. Another data page showing what happened. The X-men seperate. Wolverine hunts alone. Synch preserves more DNA. Darwin evolves and adapts for isolation before the team reforms. City assault was planned and then fails

    The Xmen got caught and Darwin has his arm cut off. They escape and his arm regrows. They breach again and find the pod of Diamante, the living repository of Vault history. We see the X-men aged after 100 years and ready to escape and go home. They gambled nad lost. The Children were after Darwin. Synch was seperated from Laura and he was left in isolation



    Another data page. Synch resuces Laura but fail to find Darwin. Laura and he and are confirmed to be lovers. Later they find Darwin who was used for his evolution powers to evolve the Children. The two escape but Laura sacrifices herself to let Synch out, but the Children find nad kill him

    Synch wakes up from a Krakoa pod with all his memories. Laura is also brought back


  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,139

    Default

    Best issue so far for me. Hands down. Out of all the issues Hickman wrote including Giant Size Storm this is the one that evoked the most emotion from me. loved it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    13,116

    Default

    Feh.

    This story was such a colossal waste of time and characters.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  4. #4
    Incredible Member davetvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Best issue so far for me. Hands down. Out of all the issues Hickman wrote including Giant Size Storm this is the one that evoked the most emotion from me. loved it.
    Totally agree, this issue was beautiful. Everything hit on all cylinders for me, especially the last page.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Opposite end of the spectrum. This invoked the least emotion out of me.

    X-men can basically be split into several stories and the 'main character lives a life nobody else does' is one of the tried and true staples. And I personally find this one of the least captivating of all of them. In part because it's so brief that none of it has any gravity and also in part because the entire plot line was needlessly left dangling for almost a year without much reason for it.

    The pacing is wonky, There's far too many data pages that add little and the romance, which I assume is the main attraction, is so truncated i dunno how people are supposed to empathize with it. It's like cliff notes.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Rang10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Feh.

    This story was such a colossal waste of time and characters.
    Poor Synch, sets him up to be a traitor. It's a very bad story

    Also what is going on with Darwin?

  7. #7
    Incredible Member davetvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    In part because it's so brief that none of it has any gravity and also in part because the entire plot line was needlessly left dangling for almost a year without much reason for it.
    You don't think that was done for effect, considering the story is literally about time passing differently for the characters in the vault?

  8. #8
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You don't think that was done for effect, considering the story is literally about time passing differently for the characters in the vault?
    I'm sure it was.

    I can still think that's woefully needless.

    I've known other books that done the "And one year later..." then wait a whole year to finish it up.

    Some times it hits, a lot of times, it doesn't.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,287

    Default

    This is one of the best issues since Hox/P10, one of those instant classics. Great worldbuilding and characterization.

    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    You don't think that was done for effect, considering the story is literally about time passing differently for the characters in the vault?
    Also, there was this pandemic thing going on that caused the issue to be delayed.

    And the people whining about this "taking way too long" are the same that claim to love Claremont's writing in the 80's, when he would set up plots that would only come to fruition YEARS later.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Feh.

    This story was such a colossal waste of time and characters.
    Non-sense. We:

    a) Learned exactly how the City operates, the Children of the Vault are born and how they evolve, and now they have a way to evolve even further, using Darwin for that;

    b) Synch now has been alive for hundreds (thousands?) of years, with all the experience and perspective it provides;

    c) There's almost certainly two Lauras running around, one in the Vault, the other in Krakoa, with the story potential it entails.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 03-31-2021 at 08:12 AM.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Rang10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Opposite end of the spectrum. This invoked the least emotion out of me.

    X-men can basically be split into several stories and the 'main character lives a life nobody else does' is one of the tried and true staples. And I personally find this one of the least captivating of all of them. In part because it's so brief that none of it has any gravity and also in part because the entire plot line was needlessly left dangling for almost a year without much reason for it.

    The pacing is wonky, There's far too many data pages that add little and the romance, which I assume is the main attraction, is so truncated i dunno how people are supposed to empathize with it. It's like cliff notes.
    This remembers of the episode of Adventure Time that Finn lived a complete life and then he came back to be a kid/teenage.
    It's a very cliche.

    First issue the pace was so slow, and then on this theyy had to actually tell 90% so they used charts to accelerate the pace. Quite dissapointing, but I already was expecting the charts to tell more stories than the actual comic art panels of the issue

  11. #11
    Incredible Member davetvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    This is one of the best issues since Hox/P10, one of those instant classics. Great worldbuilding and characterization.



    Also, there was this pandemic thing going on that caused the issue to be delayed.

    And the people whining about this "taking way too long" are the same that claim to love Claremont's writing in the 80's, when he would set up plots that would only come to fruition YEARS later.



    Non-sense. We:

    a) Learned exactly how the City operates, the Children of the Vault are born and how they evolve, and now they have a way to evolve even further, using Darwin for that;

    b) Synch now has been alive for hundreds (thousands?) of years, with all the experience and perspective it provides;

    c) There's almost certainly two Lauras running around, one in the Vault, the other in Krakoa, with the story potential it entails.

    I've noticed that a lot of people who read comics seem to prefer A-B-C-1-2-3 storytelling where every plot thread is neatly wrapped up almost as quickly as it's been introduced. Different strokes for different folks, but I don't mind a slow burn if it's engaging. Especially in the Hickman era where we're dealing with a totally new status quo...it's going to take time to flesh all of the world-building out, and it should imo if it's going to be impactful vs. a flash in the pan.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,501

    Default

    I'm worryed how they handle synch and laura going forward. I could see him trying get her back coming off as very forced, general fear of romance being used to sideline a female character and take there agency away included.

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I'm worryed how they handle synch and laura going forward. I could see him trying get her back coming off as very forced, general fear of romance being used to sideline a female character and take there agency away included.
    I could also see him going up to her and having a real conversation about what he experiened and her wanting to experience it and maybe it being showed to her. Or her wanting to think about it. Or her saying it's not for her and him moving on or it going the other way. a lot of potential that has me excited to see how it actually goes. If it's not picked up by hickman in the future i will be shocked and disappointed. This felt like his most personal take on something he's trying to say about the difference between humans and mutants and relationships and ideas on that.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Feh.

    This story was such a colossal waste of time and characters.
    Waste of time? It sets up just how big of a threat the vault children are about to be..

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    5,694

    Default

    This has been excellent. I did not know Synch previously and in three issues I have already become fond of him.

    Also, very smart that he keep the memories. Laura and Darwin have too much recent history to add a hundred years of memories but Synch, who was practically a blank canvas after so many years dead, gives an interesting introspection.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •