Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    You just don’t want to get it. It’s not about WHAT happened or what Synch DOES. It’s about how it’s told and presented. Her existence in the story is only to serve as a prop for His development. Synch may not objectify her, but the STORY does.
    Lol, really stretching to find a reason to trash a young brother being included in a story where he and a white woman fall in love with each other. Is disruptive to see the black guy didn't die first like most are condition to accept in fiction. I'm curious, so did you just want the story to focus only on Laura and what she experienced?? If that's case, then I at least get that.
    Last edited by dkrook; 04-02-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Not really, both of their choices were major plot points. Darwin choosing to sacrifice his arm and Laura choosing to stay behind. Darwin's actions probably have a bigger impact in the X-Universe than Synch's.
    Laura forgo about it, she didn't gain anything

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Lol, really stretching to find a reason to trash a young brother being included in a story where he and a white woman fall in love with each other. Is disruptive to see the black didn't die first like most are condition to accept in fiction. I curious, so did you just want the story to focus only on Laura and what she experienced??
    Stop RIGHT there. This doesn't have a GOD DAMNED THING to do with race. I'd be voicing the same objections if it was a white guy, or a trans woman, or whatever. I'd be objecting if it was HELLION. It was all Tell and no Show. It wasn't earned. It wasn't FELT. They just TOLD us what it was and expected us to accept it. And on top of that, it didn't even serve the development of both characters. It existed solely to serve one. This is just plain BAD storytelling.

And don't put words in my mouth, either. I would have just as many problems if the narration was from Laura because it would STILL just be TELLING.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    We also didn't get any kisses or sex or anything else that implied Laura was violated in anyway. Though one could say many have been fridged at the alter of x-23 while none for everett. This was his view point told through his memories and even then never once did he objectify laura or even show anything physically than more than two friends of any sex would have done in that situation. but ok.
    Good point you're raising, but to no avail. Some of these poster might just be hard-core Laura fans so I get where they are stretching to make a narrative where the black is being somehow creepy/manipulative simply for Laura and a black guy falling in love with each other in a crazy circumstance.

Stop RIGHT there. This doesn't have a GOD DAMNED THING to do with race. I'd be voicing the same objections if it was a white guy, or a trans woman, or whatever. I'd be objecting if it was HELLION. It was all Tell and no Show. It wasn't earned. It wasn't FELT. They just TOLD us what it was and expected us to accept it. And on top of that, it didn't even serve the development of both characters. It existed solely to serve one. This is just plain BAD storytelling.

And don't put words in my mouth, either. I would have just as many problems if the narration was from Laura because it would STILL just be TELLING.
    So your issue is on the technical writing style and structure Hickman used???

BANNED

Good point you're raising, but to no avail. Some of these poster might just be hard-core Laura fans so I get where they are stretching to make a narrative where the black is being somehow creepy/manipulative simply for Laura and a black guy falling in love with each other in a crazy circumstance.
    You're literally the only person in this thread making this about race.

This is a nitpick. A story where only one character develops is not automatically bad, there's an entire genre that focuses on only one character's growth throughout a story (coming-of-age).

Choosing not "to accept" what the comic shows you is another way to say headcanoning.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

This is just plain BAD storytelling.
    Summing it up as "just bad storytelling" doesn't work. That doesn't seem to be what you're really mad about. It seems you want Laura to go in a direction that the current run isn't taking her. That doesn't make it "bad", it just isn't for you.

But we've been through this before, it is tiresome.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 04-02-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Choosing not "to accept" what the comic shows you is another way to say headcanoning.
    Yeah, that is pretty much how I see it.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Summing it up as "just bad storytelling" doesn't work. That doesn't seem to be what you're really mad about. It seems you want Laura to go in a direction that the current run isn't taking her. That doesn't make it "bad", it just isn't for you.

But we've been through this before, it is tiresome.
    Well, sorry. I just prefer to read an actual STORY, not a Wikipedia plot synopsis masquerading as "narration."

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't think the complaint is that the character is Black

Well, sorry. I just prefer to read an actual STORY, not a Wikipedia plot synopsis masquerading as "narration."
    I appreciate your passion for the character. I just don't recall if I've ever seen you happy with any of her appearances outside of a solo.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I don't think the complaint is that the character is Black
    Perhaps, but you can used to people who make every kind of argument as a cover, that truth is hard to divulge. The points that were being made just didn't seem legit, but we all have opinions and we can all agree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I appreciate your passion for the character. I just don't recall if I've ever seen you happy with any of her appearances outside of a solo.
    Maybe because they have been awful

This is a nitpick. A story where only one character develops is not automatically bad, there's an entire genre that focuses on only one character's growth throughout a story (coming-of-age).

You are comparing apples to oranges. The problem with the story isn't that it's focused on Synch. The problem is that the other characters are treated like props. We don't know why Synch loves Laura. Is it her humor?Her smile?Her shiny claws?
    To switch it we don't know why Laura loves Synch. We get very very little about her feelings and thoughts. You can have a Synch focused story dealing with the Vault and still give us insight into Laura and Darwin. The brief, even though Hickman came up with that to, was 2 issues. He knew how many panels he had. What he wanted to achieve. In general any story that retells years are inherintly suspectible to these problems. The passage of time and it's effects are harder to portray without anchoring it in moments for us to relate to. That makes us feel that progress has been made and it's a actual person experiencing them. Not just a list of events with effects. Hickman wanted us to relate to Synch and experience the story through him. His feelings where suppose to tie us the to progression the story and the years do. Yet as has been pointed out before what do we know about Synch as a character after these issues? How could it not be any other character narrating those experiences. If we put any late teen-early twenty male character in that spot. All they need beyond their powers(witch are not personality) is parents who gave them general advice on what love is. No specific beats that have anything to do with Synchs humor. Experiences. Temper. And so on.

It would have been so easy to add just some moments where we see Laura talk about how it has been for her. Tell us why she loves Synch. Why Darwin is a good friend. Multipurpose dialogue that advancs the plot and gives us insight. We didnt' get that. We don't get any Darwin dialogue(issue 19).

Hickman bet on that since Darwin and Laura gets reset and Synch doesn't. We only need to follows Synch journey since the other two's become void after the reset. He probably thinks this is a clever mirroring. So the story treats the other two characters like they are redundant. Darwin is there to get captured. Laura is there for Synch to fall in love with. Beyond the premise of it being them for the survival aspect of their powers that is their roles. So yes they are props. It's very much intended. And yes it still sucks.
    Last edited by Malachi; 04-02-2021 at 12:07 PM.