Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    1) Justice League
    2) Titans
    3) Suicide Squad

Although I’d argue the Squad has the potential to challenge the League, what with them having the likes of Idris Elba, Will Smith and Margot Robbie in their ranks. Seriously the GA would go nuts if SS3 featured both Idris and Will!

Also I want to see more of El Dorado! There’s a character with potential that DC needs to revamp
    I think the JSA also has some rising potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's still not the Titans? I mean, comics criticism aside, there probably the second biggest DC team popularity-wise.
    I agree hence “when all is said and done”. DC has totally mismanaged the Titans, their show is extremely popular (quality aside) so they’re still number 2. But all they have is the show. There’s no video game for them on the way like the Squad has, and video games are an even bigger industry than movies nowadays.

If I had to rate the top 5 DC teams in terms of popularity it would be
    1. JL
    2. Titans/YJ
    3. SS
    4. JSA
    5. LoSH
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I agree hence “when all is said and done”. DC has totally mismanaged the Titans, their show is extremely popular (quality aside) so they’re still number 2. But all they have is the show. There’s no video game for them on the way like the Squad has, and video games are an even bigger industry than movies nowadays.

1. JL
    2. Titans/YJ
    3. SS
    4. JSA
    5. LoSH
    There's still the TTG! cartoon, exaggerated as it is...but they did get a feature-length movie out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's still the TTG! cartoon, exaggerated as it is...but they did get a feature-length movie out of it.
    Can’t really compete with a summer blockbuster and an AAA video game though. Both could flop but that WB is green lighting both for SS while denying the chance to other IP shows which they view as more valuable.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

1. JL
    2. Titans/YJ
    3. SS
    4. JSA
    5. LoSH
    This list feels fair but I think the SS have eclipsed the Titans at this point. The Teen Titans are more or less seen of as Robin's squad when it's not an anime nearly twenty years old or the cartoon we millennials still whine about because it's not said anime.

Or an overly grimdark attempt at making them cool. For good or ill, Suicide Squad got two big screen films, animated movies, a AAA video game and has become a vehicle for one of their big cash cows. It's higher on the pecking order for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This list feels fair but I think the SS have eclipsed the Titans at this point. The Teen Titans are more or less seen of as Robin's squad when it's not an anime nearly twenty years old or the cartoon we millennials still whine about because it's not said anime.

Or an overly grimdark attempt at making them cool. For good or ill, Suicide Squad got two big screen films, animated movies, a AAA video game and has become a vehicle for one of their big cash cows. It's higher on the pecking order for sure.
    Most of this stuff is rather recent. And while the SS have gotten two movies, one of them wasn't exactly a critical hit and they had to semi-reboot for the new one. The game hasn't come out yet and none of the animated movies they have are as popular as even Teen Titans Go (let's not forget the Titans have also gotten animated movies as well). I'm comfortable saying the Titans are in a better place than the Squad, at least for now.

Besides, I'm not sure if the Titans being seen as Robin's squad is any worse than being seen as Harley's squad.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Most of this stuff is rather recent. And while the SS have gotten two movies, one of them wasn't exactly a critical hit and they had to semi-reboot for the new one. The game hasn't come out yet and none of the animated movies they have are as popular as even Teen Titans Go (let's not forget the Titans have also gotten animated movies as well). I'm comfortable saying the Titans are in a better place than the Squad, at least for now.

Besides, I'm not sure if the Titans being seen as Robin's squad is any worse than being seen as Harley's squad.
    While not a critical hit, it did make a fair chunk of change and the next one is looking to rewrite the public's perception of the IP.

Robin has more history as the butt of a joke than Harley and the latter is currently the bigger character in pop culture, for good or ill. Currently Harley and her sidekicks are simply more poised for success because DC hasn't really done much with Robin other than make him come across as some petulant brat that doesn't want to work with Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    To Robins.

I wanted to know the line-up cuz I wanted Bunker.
    I don't think Miguel would be there, because he's already in Teen Titans Academy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    While not a critical hit, it did make a fair chunk of change and the next one is looking to rewrite the public's perception of the IP.

Robin has more history as the butt of a joke than Harley and the latter is currently the bigger character in pop culture, for good or ill. Currently Harley and her sidekicks are simply more poised for success because DC hasn't really done much with Robin other than make him come across as some petulant brat that doesn't want to work with Batman.
    Robin hasn't been seen as the butt of a joke since the 90s if that. Harley is the bigger pop culture character but that doesn't make the Suicide Squad themselves big. The Titans have consistently been a more well known and successful brand than the Squad and have far more popular and iconic members. That might change but for now that isn't the case. Whether or not the new film will rescue the Squad from the scrappy heap remains to be seen and even then, it still won't be enough to compete with the Titans having far more success than the Squad's one movie.

To play devil's advocate, I'd say the Schumacher films kind of cemented Robin as the butt of the joke since the 90's. There are jokes on Friends, late night shows, and other pop-culture media, leading WB to hesitate from including him in live action films after Batman & Robin. And look at the way he was portrayed in the two films he featured in that did hit the big screen last decade: The Lego Batman Movie and TTG To the Movies. Yes, those franchises make fun of all characters but Robin moreso than the others.

1. JL
    2. Titans/YJ
    3. SS
    4. JSA
    5. LoSH
    DC has completely mismanaged Birds of Prey in the last decade but I'd still say they are more popular than the JSA and LoSH. Also, Justice League Dark seems to have potential, or at least WB thinks so.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It is hard to create change when you use the cesspool as social media.

While folks love to point to the Snyder Cut as proof that it works. The Jedi hand wave all the TOXIC mess it also brings. Especially for POC, women, LGBTQA and even employees-as Redjack, Tom King, Gabby Rivera, Heather Antos, John Boyega, Kelly Tran, Leslie Jones and others will tell you.

JLQ? That was a MAGNET for trolls that have terrorized Marvel, DC and other comic book companies and creators. Especially when it has JUSTICE LEAGUE in the title.
    That is NOT counting the roster-if we only looked at those who were NOT active in a book... Aqualad, Dreamer, Bunker, Grace, Natasha Irons, Extraño, Renee Montoya, Tasmanian Devil and Todd Rice. Maybe Rainmaker from Gen 13?
    When I searched Justice League Queer on Twitter, the majority of haters WERE LGBTQIA+ individuals hating on the name and finding it too insulting. I agree. They may as well have named it as Justice League of Gays. It reeks of tone-deaf and shallow "corporate activism". If they wanted the sexuality of the members in the team name, then Justice League Pride would have been the much better alternative.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-13-2021 at 05:29 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You mean besides the Damian series and Nightwing? (Neither of which I'm following at present.)

Are there others?
    No. Nightwing is always the main Robin book. Damian and Tim might show up in Detective or some other team book. Jason's book went on way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Oh wow. I thought JLQ was gonna win. I thought people wanted change.
    Honestly you should go to manga or indies for LGBT+ content.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

No. Nightwing is always the main Robin book. Damian and Tim might show up in Detective or some other team book. Jason's book went on way too long.

Honestly you should go to manga or indies for LGBT+ content.
    Maybe not Manga, per se...

And anyway, I see nothing wrong with wanting and expecting more widespread representation in mainstream comics.

Not always, only recently. You realise that Tim had a book before Dick did, right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman