Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Really wish the JLQ one had another name. There's still some of us out there who see the q-word as a slur fyi.
    I can't be the only one who thought "A Q'Anon Version of Justice League?!?!?"

JLQ is also so easy to attract anti sentiment
    I'm sure if the Robins book was called something like RobinsQ or Gotham Q it wouldn't be such a layup pitch

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I wonder would Kid Quick be on the team?

I think roster is what’s going to be the make or break for JLQ.
    Correction three things

Roster

Creative team

usage by the NEXT creative and in other books

Far too many times we have seen talent go ALL OUT for a book only to see all that work TOSSED when the book ends or another creative team shows up.

I’m assuming as a result of the backlash towards the characters and the really stereotypical portrayal of a non-binary person.
    If there was an actual book on the shelf-I could understand. Yet there is no book.

So what lesson is there for Marvel to learn? NONE. Because all they have seen are their books attacked before a single issue is out. So what is there to learn?
    You haven't solved the issue. Or are we accepting a one size fits all portrayal? That is how you get the current Black Panther book.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If there was an actual book on the shelf-I could understand. Yet there is no book.

So what lesson is there for Marvel to learn? NONE. Because all they have seen are their books attacked before a single issue is out. So what is there to learn?
    You haven't solved the issue. Or are we accepting a one size fits all portrayal? That is how you get the current Black Panther book.
    The book was criticised when it was announced because of their description and design felt very much like a cis person’s idea of what a non-binary person is. (Whether or not the people who created them are cis or not, I don’t know. But this is how the character came across to those of us who are non-binary.)

Also, I’ve never seen anybody in the community want to reclaim the term “snowflake”. So it’s a fictional character (who felt like they were going to be a stereotype) reclaiming a term that we haven’t even tried to reclaim.

Of course New Warriors could have been good, but the announcement of Snowflake was a misstep that alienated the people they wanted to represent and unfortunately this likely resulted in the book being cancelled, so we’ll never know.

The lesson is to not use stereotypes and instead give us representation that feels accurate. The book didn’t need to published for Marvel to learn that lesson. Marvel clearly have learned from it, and so have DC. They’ve both gone in the opposite of a one size fits all portrayal, creating multiple characters who are all different to each other and don’t rely on stereotypes.

As a result of the New Warriors debacle we now have multiple new queer characters at both Marvel and DC (six who are non-binary) who are diverse in their characterisations. This is why I think JLQ has the potential to be great, and we probably have what happened with New Warriors as a reason for that. While it was never published, it paved the way for a variety of good representation.
    Last edited by LooneyKoala; 04-05-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Another thing to point to how the book doesn't exist despite the Amazon listing is that there isn't a digital version anywhere, not on Kindle or Comixology or wherever. (Would have been nice if they stealth-released it, just to get the book, at this point.)
    They never finished it. As soon as the pandemic stopped everything, the writer never spoke of it again, and the artist has since moved on to Champions. Plus, the Outlawed event it was meant to tie into ended in Champions #5 last month. It's definitely cancelled.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I'm from Europe and can't see whats written there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    Of course New Warriors could have been good, but the announcement of Snowflake was a misstep that alienated the people they wanted to represent and unfortunately this likely resulted in the book being cancelled, so we’ll never know.
    "Snowflake" wasn't the only problem, a lot of the other names were similar dumb puns.

Then you had stuff like the "Internet Gas" in the characters descriptions, which also looked like the creators where not really taking this serious.

And do I have to mention the character designs?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm from Europe and can't see whats written there.
    Ditto, but the url gives me an idea of it. It says "Live Q&A with DC publishing staff of Round Robin Tues 4/6 (6th April) 12pm PT 3pm ET". So, they're answering questions later today.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ditto, but the url gives me an idea of it. It says "Live Q&A with DC publishing staff of Round Robin Tues 4/6 (6th April) 12pm PT 3pm ET". So, they're answering questions later today.
    Yeah, that's all it is. And I don't think it'll be too crazy of a day, you can easily see the results of how all these books are doing right now on twitter. I think robins wins this whole tournamnt easily after this based on how many votes that poll has than everything else.

I get the feeling that there are people on Twitter who are just anti gay or anti sjw so when JLQ gets kicked out, the number of votes in each poll will become equal.
    Or the Robins have a really huge fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    "Snowflake" wasn't the only problem, a lot of the other names were similar dumb puns.

Then you had stuff like the "Internet Gas" in the characters descriptions, which also looked like the creators where not really taking this serious.

And do I have to mention the character designs?
    Oh absolutely, I completely agree. I was only focusing on Snowflake as they were the non-binary character and the biggest reason for the backlash that has resulted in both Marvel and DC providing good queer representation.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I get the feeling that there are people on Twitter who are just anti gay or anti sjw so when JLQ gets kicked out, the number of votes in each poll will become equal.
    I’ve got this feeling as well. I think it’s a combination of the two. There’s plenty of bigots and anti-SJW people being vocal about this poll, but Robins was always going to be the most popular pitch (at least possibly until creative teams are announced). I think that after round one and the elimination of JLQ we’ll see Robins continue to do well but receiving less votes than in this first round.

They/Them

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Whatever book that wins will now be tainted, unable to be enjoyed without guilt unfortunately. It also doesn’t help with the news that Warner actively prevented Adam strange from being gay in the Krpton series

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    I’ve got this feeling as well. I think it’s a combination of the two. There’s plenty of bigots and anti-SJW people being vocal about this poll, but Robins was always going to be the most popular pitch (at least possibly until creative teams are announced). I think that after round one and the elimination of JLQ we’ll see Robins continue to do well but receiving less votes than in this first round.
    Robins vs JLQ got a lot more attention than the others because it was basically used as a mini cultural war. A bunch of people who have no interest in comics were voting on it. That and bots. On IG though, Robins beat JLQ 3 to 1 (75% vs 25%)
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!