Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I don't think you're actually rating popularity so much in that case so much as what WB considers "marketable". WB considers Suicide Squad more "marketable" to the general public than the JSA so they get a push. But none of these media necessarily translate back to making comics more popular. And given what is considered "marketable" to the general audience by WB can be quite arbitrary and not based on actual existing comic popularity, and media pushes have traditionally never had much carry over to increasing comic readership, I'm not sure it's actually accurate to say Suicide Squad is more popular than the the JSA. I think as far as the comic reading fanbase goes, the JSA is still solidly considered the third major DC superhero team despite how they been ignored by DC for years.
    Again: Not talking about popularity with the comic hardcore, talking popular with the general audience. Suicide Squad was one of the most profitable movies for WB, Gunn’s reboot is getting a ton of attention, the reveal trailer for the SS game has a lot of views on YouTube. Suicide Squad is far more popular with the general audience than the JSA are at the moment. Black Adam might change that, but as things stand right now that’s how I see it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I don't think you're actually rating popularity so much in that case so much as what WB considers "marketable". WB considers Suicide Squad more "marketable" to the general public than the JSA so they get a push. But none of these media necessarily translate back to making comics more popular. And given what is considered "marketable" to the general audience by WB can be quite arbitrary and not based on actual existing comic popularity, and media pushes have traditionally never had much carry over to increasing comic readership, I'm not sure it's actually accurate to say Suicide Squad is more popular than the the JSA. I think as far as the comic reading fanbase goes, the JSA is still solidly considered the third major DC superhero team despite how they been ignored by DC for years.

Comics don’t matter nor does the comic reading audience. It’s niche. Characters don’t become popular because of the comics anymore, they become popular because of the movies, shows, video games...etc. Why do you think Hawkgirl is more popular than Hawkman, Jaime Reyes more popular than Ted Kord or Bumblbee/Terra more popular than Donna Troy... outside media!

The Suicide Squad > The Justice Society because the franchise has its own DTV’s, live action films, video games, and arrowverse appearances. The JSA only has sporadic cameos here and there, though with the upcoming DTV, Stargirl show and Black Adam film, that may change in the near future and they’ll become more popular. One thing is for sure, the Squad has bigger actors attached to their franchise than any other DC team (Idris Elba, Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Viola Davis...etc)

JL, TT, SS... those are DC’s biggest teams. Each one fill their own niche too

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Again: Not talking about popularity with the comic hardcore, talking popular with the general audience. Suicide Squad was one of the most profitable movies for WB, Gunn’s reboot is getting a ton of attention, the reveal trailer for the SS game has a lot of views on YouTube. Suicide Squad is far more popular with the general audience than the JSA are at the moment. Black Adam might change that, but as things stand right now that’s how I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Comics don’t matter nor does the comic reading audience. It’s niche. Characters don’t become popular because of the comics anymore, they become popular because of the movies, shows, video games...etc. Why do you think Hawkgirl is more popular than Hawkman, Jaime Reyes more popular than Ted Kord or Bumblbee/Terra more popular than Donna Troy... outside media!

The Suicide Squad > The Justice Society because the franchise has its own DTV’s, live action films, video games, and arrowverse appearances. The JSA only has sporadic cameos here and there, though with the upcoming DTV, Stargirl show and Black Adam film, that may change in the near future and they’ll become more popular. One thing is for sure, the Squad has bigger actors attached to their franchise than any other DC team (Idris Elba, Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Viola Davis...etc)

But are we confusing "Popularity" for the "The marketing people playing favorites"?

And I will hold the the JSA being a more important team to DC's history than the Suicide Squad.

This Round Robin actually makes me want a Blue Beetle/Jesse Quick book...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You mean besides the Damian series and Nightwing? (Neither of which I'm following at present.)

Are there others?
    The point is there are titles starring these character that are already being published, there have titles starring them published in the past and probably will be in the future as well. Not to mention the games and animated adaptations that have given these characters the lime light.

Lol it’s the Harley Quinn + upcoming movie factor. Despite Ayer’s SS being crap, the movie has solidified Suicide Squad as one of the premiere teams of DC. And they have a video game coming up as well. Wouldn’t surprise me if they become DC’s second most popular team once all is said and done.
    I know that. I'm just poking fun at El Dorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I so want this book but doubt it will win in the end.
    I think it will go far. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins. Especially with the movie coming out.

I agree hence “when all is said and done”. DC has totally mismanaged the Titans, their show is extremely popular (quality aside) so they’re still number 2. But all they have is the show. There’s no video game for them on the way like the Squad has, and video games are an even bigger industry than movies nowadays.

If I had to rate the top 5 DC teams in terms of popularity it would be
    1. JL
    2. Titans/YJ
    3. SS
    4. JSA
    5. LoSH
    The fact that there is so much interest in them despite DC's best attempts to sink only speaks to their strength as characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I think your giving to much credit to the bigots with the votes, the influx of votes came from the rallying of both sides wanting their property to win. If people who hate always dominated, we would have another term of trump right now. The way to move forward with JLQ at this point is to keep in contact with the writer, and let him know that people want this book so he can push internal rather then let it go. As it turns out the Robins book idea started from a discussion Tim Seely had with fans on twitter over a year ago, before he pitched it.

the green lantern project is gong hard right now
    The Soska Sisters have posted more details about their project as well:

zee.JPG

Erm... I don't think many of the fangirls of the Constantine show prevalent on Twitter ship him with Zatanna. I've seen more Constantine x King Shark tweets than I've seen Constantine x Zatanna tweets. This seems like a counterintuitive strategy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post

JSA has Arrowverse appearances too (Legends of Tomorrow season 2). Otherwise, fair point.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Erm... I don't think many of the fangirls of the Constantine show prevalent on Twitter ship him with Zatanna. I've seen more Constantine x King Shark tweets than I've seen Constantine x Zatanna tweets. This seems like a counterintuitive strategy lol
    People do ship them, though in a "Two most prominent characters of 'X'" kind of way. In this case, Zatanna and Constantine are the two most prominent male and female (known orientation-compatible) magic users of DC. At least as far as a number of people are concerned. You see similar phenomena when it comes paring up known orientation-compatible LGBT+ characters (in and outside of DC), or when asked to pair up Black characters, how it boils down to "John Stewart and Vixen" mostly due them being the only two Black DC superheroes a lot of people bother to know about. Whether they are compatible in other ways that would make exploring them as a couple make sense and be worth the effort rarely ever gets examined.

That's where the whole thing came from in the first place where some people feel Zatanna is often functionally just there to be someone relevantly recognizable enough to be seen alongside, and therefor "prop up", Constantine.

Hey how come Tim Seeley started promoting his pitch right from round one?

Wasn't there a rule to not reveal who the creative team is for round one?
    Last edited by Edwin30; 04-14-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Hey how come Tim Seeley started promoting his pitch right from round one?

Wasn't there a rule to not reveal who the creative team is for round one?
    He did not we knew becuase he conceptulaized over a year ago so when they said Robins we figured it out. No different from fans digging to find out that aqualad and traci 13 would be on JLQ

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    He did not we knew becuase he conceptulaized over a year ago so when they said Robins we figured it out. No different from fans digging to find out that aqualad and traci 13 would be on JLQ
    No he did.
    People even complained about it.
    Right as the first round started he Asked everyone to vote for Robins.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    No he did.
    People even complained about it.
    Right as the first round started he Asked everyone to vote for Robins.
    But that's not directly saying he was involved, even if it's easy to infer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But that's not directly saying he was involved, even if it's easy to infer.
    I mean, by that point, what's the functional difference?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I mean, by that point, what's the functional difference?
    Skirting the line .

3 boxes. Red, Blue, Green.
    Red gets me hired.
    You and I are friends.
    I ask you to pick red but don't tell you why.
    You pick red.

The point of not revealing the creative team in round one was to not let your choice be influenced by the team behind the pitch.