Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Zachary's relevant to Zatanna and has magic so he's probably more likely to come back, if possible.
    How long has it been since she's mentioned him anywhere?

Granted, I haven't been following her for a while, but . . .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Zachary's relevant to Zatanna and has magic so he's probably more likely to come back, if possible.
    This Zachary has a drug problem and has killed women
    Proably gonna die for his sins

Man, a lot of these pitches would be great. What I like about the Round Robin idea is that they present pitches for potential comics, I think that's a great way to get people excited and feel like they have a say in their comics. But making it a competition...uh, why?? I almost wish everything worked on a crowdfunding system, people can pledge support for pitches with pre-orders and if they get enough of a readership, it gets the green light, if not they get their money back. There's probably a million reasons that wouldn't work, but idk. If the purpose of this gimmick was to get people excited to read comics, it sorta backfired with me because I'm excited to read *one* comic (whichever wins), but simultaneously disappointed to never get to read at least four others.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    Man, a lot of these pitches would be great. What I like about the Round Robin idea is that they present pitches for potential comics, I think that's a great way to get people excited and feel like they have a say in their comics. But making it a competition...uh, why?? I almost wish everything worked on a crowdfunding system, people can pledge support for pitches with pre-orders and if they get enough of a readership, it gets the green light, if not they get their money back. There's probably a million reasons that wouldn't work, but idk. If the purpose of this gimmick was to get people excited to read comics, it sorta backfired with me because I'm excited to read *one* comic (whichever wins), but simultaneously disappointed to never get to read at least four others.
    But as others have mentioned, there's always a chance some of the others could show up somewhere some day (considering work already put into them).

We'll just have to wait and see what DC does when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But as others have mentioned, there's always a chance some of the others could show up somewhere some day (considering work already put into them).

We'll just have to wait and see what DC does when all is said and done.
    Oh yeah, that's true (sorry if I'm retreading old discussions, I haven't read through much of the thread). Though I think it's very on brand for DC to have all this work done and waste it, it would be a nice surprise if that happened. Fingers crossed, I guess! Like you said, wait and see. I do like this public presentation of pitches, though, I'd like to see that continue.

I still think the gimmick was fun but once we got toward the end there were two things that would've made this idea work better imo: 1) they should've had the final 4 ALL get the green light. all get. should be minis, 4-6 issues or something,
    and placement determines order of release with the winner getting a likkle one two bonus issue on theirs. 2) if they took more consideration for the match ups. Harley & Suicide Squad and Robin really didn't need to be here the same way some of these other titles did, and I feel titles like JLQ really got hoed because of that. they could've just released either of them anytime without pimping out some of these other titles.

I do maintain we will see some if not most of these ideas in some for. the ones that got art and sketches and whatnot, I could definitely see ending up in Truth & Justice or Let Them Live! down the road; and I can see a JLQ or equivalent concept getting the green light just because it's one of these ideas that reflect better on DC in the long run;. at least I hope so, because I'm not coping Robin's or Suicide Squad ngl.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-02-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    . . . Harley & Suicide Squad and Robin really didn't need to be here the same way some of these other titles did . . .
    Actually, maybe they did need to be included.

How many threads have we had with people whining and bitching there are too many Bat-books and DC should instead focus more on "less popular" characters? By including main franchises as well as less exposed characters, maybe it was DC's way of seeing how well some of these concepts would do vs. the big guns when it isn't just a question of what the comic book shops are willing to order?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, maybe they did need to be included.

How many threads have we had with people whining and bitching there are too many Bat-books and DC should instead focus more on "less popular" characters? By including main franchises as well as less exposed characters, maybe it was DC's way of seeing how well some of these concepts would do vs. the big guns when it isn't just a question of what the comic book shops are willing to order?
    not really. if the point was to diversify they did a piss poor job because anyone with common sense would know people are gonna vote for familiarity. Robins and Suicide Squad at brands that have been in movies, TV shows, and had multiple titles over the years. people know who they are. people don't know who Ambush Bug is, or who Zatanna is like that. JLQ doesn't even exist yet. I know people in real life who follow DC on IG and have not a lick of a clue about anything regarding comics other than the movies and maybe one or two shows. comics fans vs general audiences are not the same thing, they are not informed on these choices the same way. that's why I said they should've taken more consideration for their match ups. why would you have the title of the competition be named for one of the titles that's in the competition? especially when it's one of the most well known brands in your industry? and you expect me to believe they "just wanted to see" what would happen if you put it up against JLQ in round one, as if they didn't know what would happen? if you're DC and your bright idea to respond to calls for more diverse stories is to match up the brands that are believed to be oversaturating the line against smaller or more niche or completely new/unestablished brands in this way, you'd have to be a baboon because it makes no sense.

if people here could call Robins and SS taking it from round 1, DC didn't need the research and they weren't surprised by this outcome either. neither titles needed to be here, period. not for inquiry sake, not for market research sake, not for exposure sake. if they released either of those books separate from this competition no one would've batted an eye and the same people picking it up would've picked it up anyway; hell, more people may have picked it up due to not feeling gyped by this tournament. now, these other titles that bring something new to the table just look like they got whored out for no reason other than the superficial appearance of DC having diverse stories without actually diversifying their story production.

it is what it is, I still think the gimmick was fun but they would've handled it far better. I hope they do this annually and improve on the structure and their selection next time.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if they released either of those books separate from this competition no one would've batted an eye and the same people picking it up would've picked it up anyway
    Lol, every time new Batfamily book gets announced we get dozens of posts with complaints.

Who is winning? Can we have a screenshot of the poll results so far from someone who's on DC Universe?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Lol, every time new Batfamily book gets announced we get dozens of posts with complaints.
    Yes you would have saw complaints.

The difference here is now you have added fuel to that fire with resentment. Why are they in this game? You just added more fuel to bad PR especially in terms of diversity.
    Not to mention even MADDER fanbases.

By including main franchises as well as less exposed characters, maybe it was DC's way of seeing how well some of these concepts would do vs. the big guns when it isn't just a question of what the comic book shops are willing to order?
    NO one knows who Ambush Bug is.

You had folks blind voting.

Remember this was NOT limited to comic book fans.

So the kid who knows Harley and NOT Jaime Reyes (because not everyone has HBO Max or saw Young Justice) to vote. Who is going to win that? Harley.

If you were going to use less exposed folks-use folks that EVERYONE has seen.

Black Canary? Starfire? Black Lightning? Wonder Twins? Cyborg? Beast Boy? Bumblebee? Thunder & Lighting? Young Justice? Nubia (whose OGN was a top seller).

Heck what about STATIC? Set in his cartoon universe. Even if he lost to Robins-you can hype up the upcoming comic (not set in DC).

Asking why the frontrunner is in the game is obtuse. DC isn't in the business of catering to the vocal minority. This is interactive marketing to try and move potential new product. Some of you guys go on and on about books DC should do cause you say there's people who want it, but then when there is tangible proof of people wanting something you cry and try to call them out. I don't want a Robins book, but clearly other people do. Despite some others complaining.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-02-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    . . . NO one knows who Ambush Bug is . . .
    Well, since I was well aware of Ambush Bug (and Cheeks the Toy Wonder!), I think your statement is totally incorrect.

Now, saying "very few people" may be appropriate, but I can't say for sure.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Asking why the frontrunner is in the game is obtuse. DC isn't in the business of catering to the vocal minority. This is interactive marketing to try and move potential new product. Some of you guys go on and on about books DC should do cause you say there's people who want it, but then when there is tangible proof of people wanting something you cry and try to call them out. I don't want a Robins book, but clearly other people do. Despite some others complaining.
    I think most people's issue from the beginning is why were certain books/characters even in the running to begin with, as opposed to why they are the frontrunner.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think most people's issue from the beginning is why were certain books/characters even in the running to begin with, as opposed to why they are the frontrunner.
    Im not addressing why they are the frontrunners, but the ignorance of asking why the books winning the polls are in the running. The reason why is self evident.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-04-2021 at 04:25 PM.