Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950 LastLast

I think we all know why they set it up this way ($$$), I think what people are asking is more of a metaphorical 'why.' 'Why don't they make better life choices? Why must they torment us so? Why do they bother marketing to people who aren't going to buy comics? Why did they think pitting fans against each other was an effective marketing strategy?' There are no answers to these questions, but we ask the universe anyway in the vain hope that one day things will make sense.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I still think the gimmick was fun but once we got toward the end there were two things that would've made this idea work better imo: 1) they should've had the final 4 ALL get the green light. all get. should be minis, 4-6 issues or something,
    and placement determines order of release with the winner getting a likkle one two bonus issue on theirs. 2) if they took more consideration for the match ups. Harley & Suicide Squad and Robin really didn't need to be here the same way some of these other titles did, and I feel titles like JLQ really got hoed because of that. they could've just released either of them anytime without pimping out some of these other titles.

I do maintain we will see some if not most of these ideas in some for. the ones that got art and sketches and whatnot, I could definitely see ending up in Truth & Justice or Let Them Live! down the road; and I can see a JLQ or equivalent concept getting the green light just because it's one of these ideas that reflect better on DC in the long run;. at least I hope so, because I'm not coping Robin's or Suicide Squad ngl.
    Having the top finalists (either top four or six, whatever it may be) rank for release schedule as opposed to a winner-take-all which all but promises the usual over-saturated market continues to saturate itself feels like a much better option.

That's why it had no chance at DC.

It would have been way more interesting to see who would have won if Robins and Harley's Suicide Squad wasn't included. With them in the running, the results were obvious.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Having the top finalists (either top four or six, whatever it may be) rank for release schedule as opposed to a winner-take-all which all but promises the usual over-saturated market continues to saturate itself feels like a much better option.

That's why it had no chance at DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It would have been way more interesting to see who would have won if Robins and Harley's Suicide Squad wasn't included. With them in the running, the results were obvious.
    This would have been a better option. Or as others have mentioned having the runner ups her back ups in series. There were a lot of fun ideas that I would have loved to see.

It's been two whole weeks since the contest closed. Will the winner be announced in the September solicits or...?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It's been two whole weeks since the contest closed. Will the winner be announced in the September solicits or...?
    The winner will be revealed at DC Fandome all the way in October...yes, I don't get the logic either. Most people will forget this contest even happened by then.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    The winner will be revealed at DC Fandome all the way in October...yes, I don't get the logic either. Most people will forget this contest even happened by then.
    Wow, what a fiasco from start to finish.

All the complaints seem to be from haters of Robins and Ss. I don't see any known Robin or Ss fans on this site bugging about when then the results will be revealed. People who really are interested enough to pay money for either title are not going to forget [that's such a stupid thing to say]

I'm fine with either winning since I enjoy Harley and the Robins. Hope Duke is part of the Robins titles. If Steph is there then he should be there too.
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-09-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    All the complaints seem to be from haters of Robins and Ss. I don't see any known Robin or Ss fans on this site bugging about when then the results will be revealed. People who really are interested enough to pay money for either title are not going to forget [that's such a stupid thing to say]

I'm fine with either winning since I enjoy Harley and the Robins. Hope Duke is part of the Robins titles. If Steph is there then he should be there too.
    The complaints for Robins and SS are not for them being made but why were they in this? Both are those are books that ANYONE would greenlighted.

I think we all know why they set it up this way ($$$), I think what people are asking is more of a metaphorical 'why.' 'Why don't they make better life choices? Why must they torment us so? Why do they bother marketing to people who aren't going to buy comics? Why did they think pitting fans against each other was an effective marketing strategy?' There are no answers to these questions, but we ask the universe anyway in the vain hope that one day things will make sense.
    Yes there are answers.

Why do they bother marketing to people who aren't going to buy comics? You do it to make more money with the understanding that book might do better as a trade as we have seen with others. Which begs the question why not do it as a trade to begin with. Also as we have seen ELSEWHERE-you don't know what might become a tv show.

Look at Falcon & Winter Soldier-how much money did Marvel NOT get because they did not take care of issues with Isaiah Bradley-Amazon got plenty of money for those digital issues and Ebay sellers for the few trades out there.
    How many dollar bin books are not jacking up in price?

Why did they think pitting fans against each other was an effective marketing strategy? Because they assumed certain characters don't have fans. Like the echo chamber LOVES to do. What they failed to understand is you opened a voting poll to EVERYBODY. Someone who knows who Harley is and NOT say JLQ is going to take Harley out brand naming.

Something like this does not work with Robins or Harley. If you TRUELY wanted to see how well your characters are known put lesser ones in it. Or ones you think don't have a large fanbase.
    How long did Wally West and Stephanie Brown fans fight with DC? Did Brown fans not send DC Waffles in support for her?
    Very FEW folks know who Nubia is. Yet her OGN sold very well as did Aqualad.

This would have been a perfect place to toss out a Cyborg (NOT about man vs machine) pitch since a certain version of him had support. YES the Snyder Cult would have seen to that win.
    Or Ryan Wilder version of Batwoman.
    Or Pain Killer.
    Stephanie Brown, Peacemaker and so on.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The complaints for Robins and SS are not for them being made but why were they in this? Both are those are books that ANYONE would greenlighted.

Yes there are answers.

Why do they bother marketing to people who aren't going to buy comics? You do it to make more money with the understanding that book might do better as a trade as we have seen with others. Which begs the question why not do it as a trade to begin with. Also as we have seen ELSEWHERE-you don't know what might become a tv show.

Look at Falcon & Winter Soldier-how much money did Marvel NOT get because they did not take care of issues with Isaiah Bradley-Amazon got plenty of money for those digital issues and Ebay sellers for the few trades out there.
    How many dollar bin books are not jacking up in price?

Why did they think pitting fans against each other was an effective marketing strategy? Because they assumed certain characters don't have fans. Like the echo chamber LOVES to do. What they failed to understand is you opened a voting poll to EVERYBODY. Someone who knows who Harley is and NOT say JLQ is going to take Harley out brand naming.

Something like this does not work with Robins or Harley. If you TRUELY wanted to see how well your characters are known put lesser ones in it. Or ones you think don't have a large fanbase.
    How long did Wally West and Stephanie Brown fans fight with DC? Did Brown fans not send DC Waffles in support for her?
    Very FEW folks know who Nubia is. Yet her OGN sold very well as did Aqualad.

This would have been a perfect place to toss out a Cyborg (NOT about man vs machine) pitch since a certain version of him had support. YES the Snyder Cult would have seen to that win.
    Or Ryan Wilder version of Batwoman.
    Or Pain Killer.
    Stephanie Brown, Peacemaker and so on.
    What were the figures for Nubia's and aqualads OGN's?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Wow, that's...a while.

Gives them plenty of time to commission a lot of these series as one shots to ease the pain of some of these losses

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Gives them plenty of time to commission a lot of these series as one shots to ease the pain of some of these losses
    Here's hoping .

Bleeding Cool posted an article about JLQ appearing in the DC Pride one-shot - and declared Robins the winner in this vote. Robins had beaten JLQ in the first round.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...-for-dc-pride/
    He was also the writer behind the pitch for JLQ in the DC Comics tournament that couldn't get past being initially put up against the eventual winner, Robins.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I thought JLQ was cool but the lineup was SERIOUS overkill. I mean, take like seven or eight of those characters and you'd have a really solid team.

Personally, I'd go with Extrano, Bunker, Batwoman, Tasmanian Devil, the Ray, Traci Thirteen, Steel, and the Shining Knight.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 06-10-2021 at 02:06 PM.