Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The other backlash is not my concern.
    It is, nevertheless, a relevant concern to the subject as a whole, particularly since the other backlash functionally taints anything else said out against the book. A book that never actually got the chance to exist and be judged for what it actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How are they the worst when that book NEVER came out? So those screaming that don't know what the heck they are talking about and are NO better than the gators who throw fits about books before they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    People clowned on them, but I agree with skyvolt in general on this one.

I would have liked to have seen the actual book, story, and characters in action. I personally found what was there intriguing, and I wanted to see where it all was going. After seeing the execution, then I would be able to properly judge things.

Furthermore, some of the "backlash" was for ultra petty stuff that was opportunistically meshed into and piggybacked on top of the voices of those who had more genuinely-held reservations. So the "They Changed it, So it Sucks" crowd, for one, used this as a chance to "legitimize" themselves never having an inkling of giving things a chance in the first place. Then there's, basically, all the people who came out of the woodwork to bash Screentime and the short-form origin in his bio (so not his full story, but just the blurb) suddenly who have apparently never read a superhero comic story in their lives, ever.

Honestly, I think the backlash New Warriors was made to face sets a bad precedent of reactionary actions ultimately impeding progress.

That book did come out as a trade only.
    https://www.amazon.com/New-Warriors-Old/dp/1302922912
    although it does say currently unavailable. Possibly low print run.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    It never actually released lol. It's still listed as a trade on Amazon, sure, but it never saw print. The reason that it's unavailable is that Marvel never printed it.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    DC gives us six Batman anthologies but makes us fight over one of these? All of these look great! Christ the worst part is the Robins book is probably going to win despite there already being a Robin book coming! Rooting for S&L or Zatanna to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Exactly. It would be easier to take this whole thing seriously if there were NO Bat-books in the bracket at all.
    Leave it to some of my favorite posters to pretty much spell out my thoughts.

This sort of thing really should not have their A-List characters who are sure to crush the characters who are usually lucky to get a mini. Alas, Batman and Robin Eternal 2: Electric Robinaloo is a go.

I mean, I'd buy the damn thing (one of the few expanded Bat books I'm giving my time and money) but I would really love to see more Zatanna or Blue Beetle product, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Futbol View Post
    I donÂ’t have screen shots but so far itÂ’s going like this:

Green Lanterns (73.8%) vs Etta Candy (26.2%)— 18.5K votes
    Zatanna (78.7%) vs Ambush Bug (21.3%)— 19.5K votes
    Lobo/Animal Man (63.1%) vs Son of Creeper (26.9%)— 17.6K votes
    Robins (54.7%) vs JLQ (45.3%) — 34.2K votes
    Jesse Quick (58.9%) vs Paws off the JL (41.1%)— 18.2K votes
    Blue Beetle (70.2%) vs Nightrunner (29.8%)— 18.3K votes
    Suicide Squad (50.1%) vs Swamp Thing (49.9%)— 19.1K votes
    Asteria (51.8K) vs Superman and Lois (48.2K%)— 16.9K votes

Next round, combing the IG results with Twitter, looks like itÂ’ll be:

Green Lanterns vs Zatanna
    Lobo/Animal Man vs Robins
    Jesse Quick vs Blue Beetle
    Superman/Lois vs Suicide Squad

Should be interesting, especially since we will get some creative teams announced!
    The Instagram poll counts? Asteria has a near 3% lead over Superman & Lois on Twitter and Swamp Thing is actually deadlocked in a tie with Suicide Squad right now.

I want to see who the creative teams are on Swamp Thing and Asteria so want them to make it to the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The Instagram poll counts? Asteria has a near 3% lead over Superman & Lois on Twitter and Swamp Thing is actually deadlocked in a tie with Suicide Squad right now.

I want to see who the creative teams are on Swamp Thing and Asteria so want them to make it to the next round.
    Yep Instagram and Twitter are where the voting counts. I expect Instagram to push S&L and SS to the next round because of how lopsided their wins are on there.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep Instagram and Twitter are where the voting counts. I expect Instagram to push S&L and SS to the next round because of how lopsided their wins are on there.
    Let's see who gets offered as a sacrifice to Hot Topic's patron saint, Harley Quinn, and her legion of stans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Another thing to point to how the book doesn't exist despite the Amazon listing is that there isn't a digital version anywhere, not on Kindle or Comixology or wherever. (Would have been nice if they stealth-released it, just to get the book, at this point.)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'm going to assume (hope?) that Ram V is attached to any potential upcoming Swamp Thing projects.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Wouldn't it be a bit weird since his current Swamp Thing mini just started? I mean, announcing a new one, while current one is not even halfway thru?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Let's see who gets offered as a sacrifice to Hot Topic's patron saint, Harley Quinn, and her legion of stans.
    Lois and Clark will be her next victims in Round 2 if the Instagrammers keep voting for her SS title.

Lois and Clark will be her next victims in Round 2 if the Instagrammers keep voting for her SS title.
    Whoever wins, we lose!

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Some of the LGBTQ fans even decided to go with Robins because with that one they know what to expect while JLQ can be like Marvel's Snowflake and Safe Space, the worst stereotype and tone-deaf rep possible. Also by the comments I don't think some of them even know the Instagram poll exist.
    Here’s my thoughts on this. Was the whole Snowflake and Safespace thing bad? Yes. But the book was delayed due to the pandemic and has never been released, I’m assuming as a result of the backlash towards the characters and the really stereotypical portrayal of a non-binary person.

However, I don’t think that this is a reason to be wary of JLQ. In fact, Marvel and DC have both increased LGBTQ+ representation in recent months, and they’ve done so really well.

•A couple of the students in Strange Academy were shown to be queer in issue #9. This wasn’t some big reveal of anything, but simply some normalising dialogue.
    •New Mutants has had a non-binary writer (Vita Ayala) since issue #14. They’ve introduced two non-binary characters, a trans man and a trans woman. All of these characters are mutants. We haven’t seen much of them yet, but from what we have seen these characters look like they’re going to be really good representation.
    •Marvel have introduced a pair of non-binary twins in Star Wars: The High Republic. I’ve not read this yet (I’m not too keen on most licensed comics), but from what I’ve seen they look good and I’m glad that they exist.
    •DC have given us Jess Chambers, the Kid Quick and future Flash of Earth-11. They’ve had only a handful of appearances so far, but are really fantastic and exactly the kind of non-binary representation we need in comics. I’m really hoping we see more of them again in the near future in an ongoing series (but of course I’ll be grabbing the Pride issue in June as they’re featured in it!)
    •Teen Titans Academy has introduced Stitch. We don’t know much about them yet as the series is only one issue in, but they look to be another fantastic non-binary character and I’m really excited to see how they develop.

I think it’s very likely that a lot of this representation, especially the non-binary characters, is a result of the backlash Marvel received to the New Warriors announcement. Our community made it clear that we want representation, but that what Marvel had offered us wasn’t good enough. I honestly think this is a case of Marvel and DC actually listening to what we said and working to improve queer representation.

The above gives me confidence that a Justice League Queer series would follow this recently established trend and give us good queer representation.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    Here’s my thoughts on this. Was the whole Snowflake and Safespace thing bad? Yes. But the book was delayed due to the pandemic and has never been released, I’m assuming as a result of the backlash towards the characters and the really stereotypical portrayal of a non-binary person.

However, I don’t think that this is a reason to be wary of JLQ. In fact, Marvel and DC have both increased LGBTQ+ representation in recent months, and they’ve done so really well.

•A couple of the students in Strange Academy were shown to be queer in issue #9. This wasn’t some big reveal of anything, but simply some normalising dialogue.
    •New Mutants has had a non-binary writer (Vita Ayala) since issue #14. They’ve introduced two non-binary characters, a trans man and a trans woman. All of these characters are mutants. We haven’t seen much of them yet, but from what we have seen these characters look like they’re going to be really good representation.
    •Marvel have introduced a pair of non-binary twins in Star Wars: The High Republic. I’ve not read this yet (I’m not too keen on most licensed comics), but from what I’ve seen they look good and I’m glad that they exist.
    •DC have given us Jess Chambers, the Kid Quick and future Flash of Earth-11. They’ve had only a handful of appearances so far, but are really fantastic and exactly the kind of non-binary representation we need in comics. I’m really hoping we see more of them again in the near future in an ongoing series (but of course I’ll be grabbing the Pride issue in June as they’re featured in it!)
    •Teen Titans Academy has introduced Stitch. We don’t know much about them yet as the series is only one issue in, but they look to be another fantastic non-binary character and I’m really excited to see how they develop.

I think it’s very likely that a lot of this representation, especially the non-binary characters, is a result of the backlash Marvel received to the New Warriors announcement. Our community made it clear that we want representation, but that what Marvel had offered us wasn’t good enough. I honestly think this is a case of Marvel and DC actually listening to what we said and working to improve queer representation.

The above gives me confidence that a Justice League Queer series would follow this recently established trend and give us good queer representation.
    I wonder would Kid Quick be on the team?

I think roster is what’s going to be the make or break for JLQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I wonder would Kid Quick be on the team?

I think roster is what’s going to be the make or break for JLQ.
    I’d be surprised if they’re not, would seem like the perfect opportunity to put them in a regular series.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them