Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Well, can't say everyone didn't call it. Blah.

That said, I'll be voting for Harley in the final, because I have absolutely zero interest in that book. Might as well save myself a few bucks at this point...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Your right.

DC shouldn't have tried to seek out any feedback on potential projects.

Fans are just a bunch of ungrateful little snots who will whine and complain no matter what DC does.
    Hey, I did say that fan engagement was an interesting idea! And yeah DC certainly can’t please everyone and they know they have to deal with whiny fans to some degree.

But the way this particular experiment turned out...just a mess all around. I still hope they can come up with something more fun next time. Polls like “who’s the hottest DC character” are pretty harmless, but pitting creative teams and minority characters against each other in a popularity contest leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    This is essentially a popularity contest though
    I was never buying this whole let's give spotlight to lesser characters spiel
    The most popular characters minus superman made it to the final
    Well, Supes just lost to Harley TBF, and Harley is undefeated so far.

ETA: LMAO, just realized the voting rule change for the final round. Love her or hate her, Harley would have won this fair and square. Now neither the casuals or the diehards are happy.

Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-19-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Isn't getting people to buy comic books all about popularity of the comic book titles?
    How many of the folks voting were even going to BUY any of these books?

How many books got votes because of hatred for a book starring someone who was not straight white and male?

How many books got votes out of hatred for the Bat franchise?

How many book in all reality would have found a way to get made and did not need this silly format?

And here is the low blow for DC-what happens WHEN Robins win and say later on JLQ or Jaime Reyes or Kyle's books do come out and OUTSELL Robins?

How many times have we seen losers on stuff like Idol or American's Next Top Model have a bigger career than the winner? Jennifer Hudson & Yaya Da Costa says hi.

Or we can see store owners NOT over order a Batman book. Because a lot of them are tired of Batman too.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    that's such weird move, why switching to that now when these titles are only in the final spot off the strength of the polls that weren't on DC community?
    No putting the finals on a site used primarily buy comic readers is a smart move. Letting casuals who don't read comics vote was a stupid idea.

Votes are a way to predict the sales figures of these comics. votes from casual's are worthless at best problematic at worst.

More votes on the platforms they've used leading up ti the finals doesn't means will sell more copies.

DC community means votes from the people who are already buying comics. They are more likely to back that vote with their wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How many of the folks voting were even going to BUY any of these books?

How many books got votes because of hatred for a book starring someone who was not straight white and male?

How many books got votes out of hatred for the Bat franchise?

How many book in all reality would have found a way to get made and did not need this silly format?

And here is the low blow for DC-what happens WHEN Robins win and say later on JLQ or Jaime Reyes or Kyle's books do come out and OUTSELL Robins?

How many times have we seen losers on stuff like Idol or American's Next Top Model have a bigger career than the winner? Jennifer Hudson & Yaya Da Costa says hi.

Or we can see store owners NOT over order a Batman book. Because a lot of them are tired of Batman too.

got to say I enjoy your comments. very interesting.....
    to read but JLQ outselling Robins isn't a low blow for DC. That is a ridiculous statement. JLq out selling Robins is a huge win for DC. They gain another profitable Ip and a ton of goodwill/Pr boost for having a successful hero team consisting of LGBTQ members.

JLq, Robins, BB doesn't matter which sells more. What matters is that the money from all these titles still go to DC.

JLQ turning into a bigger brand than Robin is I imagine a Dc exec's wet dream. Think of the bonuses and the clout.
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-20-2021 at 01:34 AM.

I think another goal might have been to drive interest to DC's platform. Before this I had already forgotten that it even exists and I figure some people are going to sign up for it now.

As long as most of the series end up getting made then I'm rather fine with this experiment. I mean, I know that there is a cool Superman/Lois pitch out there with good creative team and maybe it'll get made. Would it be better if I didn't know anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Hey, I did say that fan engagement was an interesting idea! And yeah DC certainly can’t please everyone and they know they have to deal with whiny fans to some degree.

But the way this particular experiment turned out...just a mess all around. I still hope they can come up with something more fun next time. Polls like “who’s the hottest DC character” are pretty harmless, but pitting creative teams and minority characters against each other in a popularity contest leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Pitting a diverse range of characters against each is what I think you meant to say.

If this contest had titles featuring just hereto Caucasians exclusively I don't think it'd taste any better.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Worst case scenerio! I don't get it. It's not like DC is about to come to your house and force you to read it the fans aren't getting a Harley comic for free. They still have to pay for it.

Harley being popular is a positive AT&T needs every penny
    Worst case for me because I’m not buying a Harley SS book. But if it’s DCU only than Robins will probably win.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

This is why I can't even go to the social media today because I knew the whole internet was explosive with angers and furstration comments .

Mighty Member

DC COMICS become the "Next" Grammy Awards.

Popularity over Talents. No wonder a lot of people want to support Marvel instead.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post

Popularity over Talents. No wonder a lot of people want to support Marvel instead.
    Comic book fans support the characters not the publisher and majority of readers enjoy character and teams from both.

The characters that click isn't something a person can control. It's like falling in love.

Tell those people who wish to rage quit DC to also try some independent publishers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post

Despite my buying very few DC titles these days, I gave up on buying Marvel comic books on a regular basis a few years ago.

So I'm not sure how you're getting "a lot of people want to support Marvel instead"; I don't know if it's a desire to go out of their way to ACTIVELY SUPPORT MARVEL or just buying Marvel Comics titles they prefer at the moment.

Some people see this as some kind of a war, if you don't support DC then you are supporting Marvel. No other options available.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What a stupid way to end this whole experiment and I don't even want Harley to win. I didn't want Robins either, frankly, but here we are.

This was a clown fiesta, top to bottom.