Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Eh, who cared? Her being Robin literally has zero affect on anyone besides her. It was easily written out and nothing of value was lost. And her similarity with Jason is just a further proof that she brought nothing new to the mantle and was pretty redundant.
    You don't value it, but it appears other people do.

So might as well just move on since you're not going to change their minds.

That being, it's just my personal opinion on this matter and the reason why I'm not really interested in the Robins series.
    I said that before the post you quoted. So, don't lecture me about respecting other people's opinions because I made clear it was just my opinion since the beginning and I simply respoded to their post.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Eh, who cared? Her being Robin literally has zero affect on anyone besides her. It was easily written out and nothing of value was lost. And her similarity with Jason is just a further proof that she brought nothing new to the mantle and was pretty redundant.
    Well, Bruce (at the time), Tim, Babs, etc.

There were parallels but they weren't exactly alike just like Dick and Tim aren't alike even if they were both the standard Robins.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Seeley dropped the ball including Steph while excluding Duke [seemingly. He might show up]

A lot of the discourse over this Round Robin debacle is that this was a chance to spotlight lesser known characters/characters with limited page space/diverse characters.

In hindsight having a visual ethnic minority as shallow as that sounds would have been a pro.

Also Shady of Seeley to add Steph and not Duke. Many people value Duke and the WAR kids time as Robin too

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    . . . Also Shady of Seeley to add Steph and not Duke. Many people value Duke and the WAR kids time as Robin too
    But Duke and the other WAR crew weren't "Robin" in terms of a "Batman and Robin" duo, while Steph was.
    (The one exception for Duke I'm aware of was in a Futures End one-shot, where he was a future Robin.)

And for the record, I did really enjoy the We Are Robin series, even though it initially seemed like it wasn't really targeted for an old white guy like me.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But Duke and the other WAR crew weren't "Robin" in terms of a "Batman and Robin" duo, while Steph was.
    (The one exception for Duke I'm aware of was in a Futures End one-shot, where he was a future Robin.)

And for the record, I did really enjoy the We Are Robin series, even though it initially seemed like it wasn't really targeted for an old white guy like me.
    I guess that's valid justification if the book was Batman and the Robins, but it's a Robin book. if it's meant to be a celebration or a meditation on Robin then We Are Robin should be fair game because it's still a significant interpretation on the Robin concept. it's like having a red party and allowing the color pink but not the color scarlet because it's not a shade you learned in kindergarten.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Seeley dropped the ball including Steph while excluding Duke [seemingly. He might show up]

A lot of the discourse over this Round Robin debacle is that this was a chance to spotlight lesser known characters/characters with limited page space/diverse characters.

In hindsight having a visual ethnic minority as shallow as that sounds would have been a pro.

Also Shady of Seeley to add Steph and not Duke. Many people value Duke and the WAR kids time as Robin too
    Duke from the ending of We are Robin and welll into his solo period has said I am
    Not Robin

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I guess that's valid justification if the book was Batman and the Robins, but it's a Robin book. if it's meant to be a celebration or a meditation on Robin then We Are Robin should be fair game because it's still a significant interpretation on the Robin concept. it's like having a red party and allowing the color pink but not the color scarlet because it's not a shade you learned in kindergarten.
    If this goes to series there's probably a chance that they might touch on Duke and the WAR movement at some point in it, even if the core focus is on those specifically tied to the Robin mantle and how that impacted them, since the whole movement was inspired by Robin even if the official Robin during their time was Damian.

Seeley was there during the second Eternal where they were a thing so I don't think he's unaware of them, at the very least. Actually, did he write a Robin War tie-in? I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If this goes to series there's probably a chance that they might touch on Duke and the WAR movement at some point in it, even if the core focus is on those specifically tied to the Robin mantle and how that impacted them, since the whole movement was inspired by Robin even if the official Robin during their time was Damian.

Seeley was there during the second Eternal where they were a thing so I don't think he's unaware of them, at the very least. Actually, did he write a Robin War tie-in? I forget.
    He did which is why I'm surprised Duke's not here [yet]

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Duke from the ending of We are Robin and welll into his solo period has said I am
    Not Robin
    The guy that wrote that [Snyder] also said that Duke has done the Robin thing.

Duke said he wasn't Robin AFTER WAR. He said that in Rebirth

Duke's Robin status is kind of murky, if only because of Snyder.

Incredible Member

No, she wasn't. She was Robin for like what? One hour (and I'm being generous here)? She has no place among them or any connection to any one of them (besides Tim) or Batman to earn a spot in the series.

And I'm not saying this because I "hate" or "dislike" her. I simply dislike how forced her presence feel here.
    In-universe it was seventy-something days (can't remember the exact number). Her stopgap tenure was obviously brief and filled less than a dozen individual issues, but like it or not she was recognized as an official Robin by Batman himself.

Extraordinary Member

The guy that wrote that [Snyder] also said that Duke has done the Robin thing.

Duke said he wasn't Robin AFTER WAR. He said that in Rebirth
    robin war issue 2

Even if Duke was never Robin he was still more of a Robin than Steph ever was. He actually operated as a proper sidekick to Batman. I just can't count Steph as an actual Robin because I don't think she really contributed anything to the identity. She was only put in the costume for a few issues in order to fail to push Tim's story forward, not her own. Batgirl and Spoiler are the identities that pushed her character forward. I mean I get it. Steph fans desperately want to have that time matter because there is a status of being included as a "Robin", and DC obviously wants to pat themselves on the back to show a female Robin, but I can't include her. Also the story it all happened in isn't even good. War Games is completely forgotten now. Maybe if it was some TDKR level of story that endured her fans can make more of an argument for it mattering like Carrie Kelly in TDKR, but it isn't.

I mean why isn't Helena Bertinelli considered a Batgirl if Steph is a Robin? She wore the Batgirl costume in No Mans Land. She should be included with Babs, Cass, and Steph. Then there is Bette Kane who created the Bat-Girl identity! Why isn't she included? She should be a proper Batgirl way before Steph is considered a proper Robin in my opinion, but DC is so inconsistent in how they want to deal with these legacy roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    . . . Then there is Bette Kane who created the Bat-Girl identity! Why isn't she included? She should be a proper Batgirl way before Steph is considered a proper Robin in my opinion, but DC is so inconsistent in how they want to deal with these legacy roles.
    Was Bette's identity as "Betty" / "Bat-Girl" essentially written out post-CoIE when they changed her backstory to being "Flamebird"?