Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There are a lot of good options on there but Superman and Lois are probably going to get my vote all the way to the top.

Zatanna and Super Pets are the fiercest competition for my vote. Robins would be in the running since I love Dick and Tim, but Bruce's brat tanks their score.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    There are a lot of good options on there but Superman and Lois are probably going to get my vote all the way to the top.

Zatanna and Super Pets are the fiercest competition for my vote. Robins would be in the running since I love Dick and Tim, but Bruce's brat tanks their score.
    It’s going to hurt if the second round is S&L vs. Suicide Squad and S&L loses. Gah I will never understand the Harley love.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s going to hurt if the second round is S&L vs. Suicide Squad and S&L loses. Gah I will never understand the Harley love.
    She's an empowerment self-insert because she more or less gets to run around the universe, punk anyone she wants and gets away with it. Those characters aren't without merit, but Harley's status as a former victim also makes anyone actually trying to deal with her crimes or portray her more evenly come across as kind of an *******. She's essentially that kid who lost their parent at the start of the school year and is treating everyone like **** (I say this as someone who lost their parent during middle school and was not pleasant to be around as well as a friend to someone who went through it in elementary school and another in middle school, so I know it's a thing) insofar as everyone steps on eggshells not to be the one to be mean to the victim even if it's deserved.

So you get modern Harley. She gets to kill whoever she wants, has all the plot armor of Superman and also gets to sexually harass pretty much anyone and it's either laughed off or shipped. The same way some people see Batman as their self-insert, Harley is the same for another crowd. I get it, and while nothing's wrong with identifying with a character, like Batman her fanbase has gotten pretty obnoxious. I'm sure they'd say the same of us Superfans, though, so as always take with salt.

I'm salty, obviously hence the strawman, but I don't think anything I've said is particularly untrue. I expect we will in fact lose to Suicide Squad, which is a shame (especially since the pitch is literally an ambiguous roster, thus the argument being vague Harley is a better sales draw than Superman, Lois and a story) but them's the breaks. As I've seen you say elsewhere, I'm more interested in who delivered the pitch and brought Lois up all the way into headlining with Clark and if I want them more involved in Superman projects going forward.

If we lose Waid/Manapul to Harley I'll lose my goddamn mind. Or if it turns out Jen Bartell was going to get her crack at cosmic Superman (and for all I know she couldn't care less, but dammit I want to see her work on Superman) all for more Suicide Squad drivel.
    Last edited by Robanker; 04-03-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

The premise sounds so good.

But I can't get behind a tournament like that. It's a cheap move. DC is forcing readers to do an editor's job. Choosing between representation in the case of JlQ and fan-favorite characters is also very unsettling.

And we are all acting like Robins won't win in the end just because of the name alone.

I hope dc comes out and be all '' gotcha''. And actually do all of them

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    The premise sounds so good.

But I can't get behind a tournament like that. It's a cheap move. DC is forcing readers to do an editor's job. Choosing between representation in the case of JlQ and fan-favorite characters is also very unsettling.

And we are all acting like Robins won't win in the end just because of the name alone.

I hope dc comes out and be all '' gotcha''. And actually do all of them
    I was against this from the start. They'll push out every Batman book under the sun no problem but every other book must fight for a single spot no matter the brilliant premise of the stories. Many will likely remain untold and it's a shame.

The set up of putting the JLQ book against Robins in the first round...... DC swear they slick I see they asses.

They should have released the creative teams behind all these pitches, because I am certain that that would have influenced things. A lot of them sound like the YA imprint books. But I'm still pretty sure we'll see most of these in some form at some point.

Though, if WB's and DC were smart, they'd lock down the Pixar creator behind this thread for a Lois & Clark book. Her 10 panel storyboard sequence blew up on twitter with over 60K likes and 10K retweets overnight. Engagement like that dwarfs the DC twitter.

https://twitter.com/kennnajean/statu...16343343828998

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Though, if WB's and DC were smart, they'd lock down the Pixar creator behind this thread for a Lois & Clark book. Her 10 panel storyboard sequence blew up on twitter with over 60K likes and 10K retweets overnight. Engagement like that dwarfs the DC twitter.

I like it, cute art style, cute little moment/interaction, and reminds me of Superman The Movie.

They should have released the creative teams behind all these pitches, because I am certain that that would have influenced things. A lot of them sound like the YA imprint books. But I'm still pretty sure we'll see most of these in some form at some point.

This...this is adorable .

Make it happen, DC!

This is adorable. I’ve been saying for a while that WB needs to invest in their animation department more. For all their woes on the live action side, DC Animation is still well regarded. I’d be far more excited for an Into the Spider-Verse type Superman movie than I will be for any big budget Superman film at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's an empowerment self-insert because she more or less gets to run around the universe, punk anyone she wants and gets away with it. Those characters aren't without merit, but Harley's status as a former victim also makes anyone actually trying to deal with her crimes or portray her more evenly come across as kind of an *******. She's essentially that kid who lost their parent at the start of the school year and is treating everyone like **** (I say this as someone who lost their parent during middle school and was not pleasant to be around as well as a friend to someone who went through it in elementary school and another in middle school, so I know it's a thing) insofar as everyone steps on eggshells not to be the one to be mean to the victim even if it's deserved.

So you get modern Harley. She gets to kill whoever she wants, has all the plot armor of Superman and also gets to sexually harass pretty much anyone and it's either laughed off or shipped. The same way some people see Batman as their self-insert, Harley is the same for another crowd. I get it, and while nothing's wrong with identifying with a character, like Batman her fanbase has gotten pretty obnoxious. I'm sure they'd say the same of us Superfans, though, so as always take with salt.

If we lose Waid/Manapul to Harley I'll lose my goddamn mind. Or if it turns out Jen Bartell was going to get her crack at cosmic Superman (and for all I know she couldn't care less, but dammit I want to see her work on Superman) all for more Suicide Squad drivel.
    Yeah I “get” her appeal intellectually, but it’s always been so shallow in appearance yet has been shown to sustain itself. I can totally understand Batman’s greater appeal and success over Supes, but so much of Harley’s stuff just seems awful to me, yet others love it. Guess it’s just one of those things I’ll never grasp.

Lol I wondered if maybe Waid was the one who pitched this. Doubt it would be Manupal though, he’s doing a creator owned book with Scott Snyder, doubt he’d have time for a full mini, he’s only doing small stories in anthologies for DC right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This is adorable. I’ve been saying for a while that WB needs to invest in their animation department more. For all their woes on the live action side, DC Animation is still well regarded. I’d be far more excited for an Into the Spider-Verse type Superman movie than I will be for any big budget Superman film at this point.
    I still say they should make Superman Smashes the Klan into an animated movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I still say they should make Superman Smashes the Klan into an animated movie.
    You and everyone else who read it. Such a good book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I was against this from the start. They'll push out every Batman book under the sun no problem but every other book must fight for a single spot no matter the brilliant premise of the stories. Many will likely remain untold and it's a shame.
    Agreed. The tournament is crass and uncool.

Truth? Not all of these pitches are for me but nearly all of them are more creative and/or interesting than most of DC’s standard line and that’s a damning commentary.

Even the Superman and Lois vs. The Amazon pitch is uncomfortable for several reasons.

On the surface, it’s easy to frame it as “oh who needs another Superman book—we should vote for the Amazon book for more representation for women” except obviously that’s a trick and untrue given Lois Lane rarely ever actually gets her NAME in the title in a true co-starring role and given the fact that she’s basically absent right now ffom Philip Kennedy Johnson’s run and he has basically expressed zero desire to use her in any capacity. So, no, this isn’t just another Superman book. Lois deserves the book. The Amazon book also sounds fun to me and I would buy it.

Even going deeper, it’s another case of DC pitting Lois and Wonder Woman against each other by forcing people to choose between another much deserved book for Wonder Woman’s world and Lois getting a shot. Which given their history of literally never allowing these two women to peacefully Co-exist and constantly stoking fan misogyny and tension is crappy.

Pitting JLQ up against The Robins is trash. That book should just be made period and it shouldn’t have to win some arbitrary contest for people to get representation. The whole thing is ick.

I've got no issue on making a silly bracket. It was March, capitalize on March Madness, yaddy yadda. But if any good stories end up dying because they were pitted up against a more popular idea in a ridiculous bracket like this, that would be a traveshamockery. Not like DC Comics is so limited in resources that there can be only one winner out of this group.