Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Agreed. The tournament is crass and uncool.

Truth? Not all of these pitches are for me but nearly all of them are more creative and/or interesting than most of DC’s standard line and that’s a damning commentary.

Even the Superman and Lois vs. The Amazon pitch is uncomfortable for several reasons.

On the surface, it’s easy to frame it as “oh who needs another Superman book—we should vote for the Amazon book for more representation for women” except obviously that’s a trick and untrue given Lois Lane rarely ever actually gets her NAME in the title in a true co-starring role and given the fact that she’s basically absent right now ffom Philip Kennedy Johnson’s run and he has basically expressed zero desire to use her in any capacity. So, no, this isn’t just another Superman book. Lois deserves the book. The Amazon book also sounds fun to me and I would buy it.

Even going deeper, it’s another case of DC pitting Lois and Wonder Woman against each other by forcing people to choose between another much deserved book for Wonder Woman’s world and Lois getting a shot. Which given their history of literally never allowing these two women to peacefully Co-exist and constantly stoking fan misogyny and tension is crappy.

Pitting JLQ up against The Robins is trash. That book should just be made period and it shouldn’t have to win some arbitrary contest for people to get representation. The whole thing is ick.
    Yeah, I’d take this more seriously if no Bat-characters had any presence here or they pitted the Bat-books against one another.

They should just work their ways through all these titles and the ones who got voted on go first.

...seriously DC, we'll wait...

Astonishing Member

Damn that Superman and Lois books actually sound interesting. But I'm a firm believer that Jaime Reyes is the future of DC once DC gets off it's ass and seriously starts to push him.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I still believe that their in general gauging interest in all these titles rather than it being a full "there can only be one" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still believe that their in general gauging interest in all these titles rather than it being a full "there can only be one" situation.
    I could see the final four all getting published one way or another (perhaps as backups?)
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Agreed. The tournament is crass and uncool.

Truth? Not all of these pitches are for me but nearly all of them are more creative and/or interesting than most of DC’s standard line and that’s a damning commentary.

Even the Superman and Lois vs. The Amazon pitch is uncomfortable for several reasons.

On the surface, it’s easy to frame it as “oh who needs another Superman book—we should vote for the Amazon book for more representation for women” except obviously that’s a trick and untrue given Lois Lane rarely ever actually gets her NAME in the title in a true co-starring role and given the fact that she’s basically absent right now ffom Philip Kennedy Johnson’s run and he has basically expressed zero desire to use her in any capacity. So, no, this isn’t just another Superman book. Lois deserves the book. The Amazon book also sounds fun to me and I would buy it.

Even going deeper, it’s another case of DC pitting Lois and Wonder Woman against each other by forcing people to choose between another much deserved book for Wonder Woman’s world and Lois getting a shot. Which given their history of literally never allowing these two women to peacefully Co-exist and constantly stoking fan misogyny and tension is crappy.

Pitting JLQ up against The Robins is trash. That book should just be made period and it shouldn’t have to win some arbitrary contest for people to get representation. The whole thing is ick.
    I think we're all in agreement this is DC's "bread and circus" gambit to distract from BatJuly's impending solicitations.

Apparently Instagram had 3x the number of votes as Twitter according to the Live Q&A, so S&L beat Asteria and will move on to Round 2 I guess. We’ll find out tomorrow for sure.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Citadel's,battles with machines,planet sized robot...etc why do these thing sound familiar?Huh! this seems cool.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

There was a Q&A thread on DCU Unlimited today with the editors of the projects, and they made clear we're going to see something out of many if not all of the pitches even besides the winner.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There was a Q&A thread on DCU Unlimited today with the editors of the projects, and they made clear we're going to see something out of many if not all of the pitches even besides the winner.
    That's good to hear .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Apparently Instagram had 3x the number of votes as Twitter according to the Live Q&A, so S&L beat Asteria and will move on to Round 2 I guess. We’ll find out tomorrow for sure.
    Ignition actually inched ahead of Asteria by 0.4% so it appears to have this all wrapped up if Instagram is a blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    This is not really that surprising. I think they took the 2022 slate of unannounced YA & Digital First titles and fed them into this to test interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Ignition actually inched ahead of Asteria by 0.4% so it appears to have this all wrapped up if Instagram is a blowout.

This is not really that surprising. I think they took the 2022 slate of unannounced YA & Digital First titles and fed them into this to test interest.
    Damn I thought the majority of voting would be over after the first day. But yeah S&L will go on to the next round then.

YA, Digital Firsts, or backups, that’s where I see all this stuff ending up. Only two I don’t care for are the Harley SS pitch and Robins so I’d love to see all these stories get made.

Nighrunner and Asteria made me think o the YA line.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nighrunner and Asteria made me think o the YA line.
    Same. Which improves my interest in those titles a bit since I've been enjoying some of the YA books a lot.

Jimmy Olsen and Son of the Creeper also fit pretty solidly into the type of books they've had for the YA line. Superman & Lois sounds more like a digital first tie in to the show to me. Considering so many of CW shows seem to get those at one point or another.