Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Welp, at least he's no longer with DC I guess?
    Never been a fan of his art, one of the worst artists ever IMO.
    I've never understood the appeal to his art either, yes, even his earlier work is just not decent enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. The JRJR version is unforgettably creepy (IMHO):

hee-hee.. I consider this to be Mephisto's "true" form (or at least a "truer" form). Too bad this has scarcely ever been used by other artists. Especially now. The arcs with Daredevil, etc., were fascinating.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Romita Jr back at Marvel... ugh, the dude's a has-been. Hated his work on Bendis's Action Comics.
    I'm glad he's back. The guy is Monica's co-creator, after all. His FF looks particularly inspired.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's the inker more often than not who highlights the more unappreciated aspects of his distinctive style.
    I preferred when Al Williamson inked his art in DD over his Thor later on under Janson.
    Exactly.

Janson and JRjr are pretty much inseparable now but Janson’s inking isn’t really helping JR.

For artists like JRjr, inking is critical or else it all looks very ugly. It’s like Colleta on Kirby, his inking made Kirby’s detailed work look very ugly and bland.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Janson and JRjr are pretty much inseparable now but Janson’s inking isn’t really helping JR.

For artists like JRjr, inking is critical or else it all looks very ugly. It’s like Colletta on Kirby, his inking made Kirby’s detailed work look very ugly and bland.
    I never really liked Janson's work as an inker on just about anyone for quite a while. JRjr has been paired with better in the past IMO, like Bob Layton or Scott Hanna.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

What was his last work at Marvel? Last I recall seeing JRjr was Remender’s Cap. I really enjoyed that but it seems so long ago, glad he’s back in the fold at Marvel.

All-New Member

Wow, the haters!
    Dude is a legend. Glad he got a chance to draw Batman and Supes, but he belongs at Marvel.
    Maybe he is out of his prime, but he still has some of the best storytelling of any comic artist. He's great at twisting his characters in space and logic-ing out how actions happen.
    Much like how Bachalo went looser and more 'animated' over time, JRjr has gotten a bit boxier, but he's still great.

That said, I followed his DC work and it felt super rushed for whatever reason. His Batman was ok, Action Comics was meh.
    Get him back on a Spider-Man book asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hee-hee.. I consider this to be Mephisto's "true" form (or at least a "truer" form). Too bad this has scarcely ever been used by other artists. Especially now. The arcs with Daredevil, etc., were fascinating.
    Yeah, I've always liked the Romita version best as well.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Yeah, I've always liked the Romita version best as well.
    Absolutely. Same here.
    Mephisto JRjr.jpg
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!