Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default John Romita Jr back at Marvel

Romita Jr back at Marvel... ugh, the dude's a has-been. Hated his work on Bendis's Action Comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Mixed feelings on this but somewhat optimistic. On the one hand, I didn't enjoy his last run on Action Comics with Bendis one bit. When he's phoning it in AND he's inked by the otherwise great Klaus Janson, his art has an unfinished, sketchy look that makes it quite unappealing to me. When paired with a good colourist and a different inker however, and actually puts the time in, his work is still absolutely beautiful like in Superman: Year One. So I'm curious to see who he's paired with for this new Marvel stint and also what project/s he'll be working on, but as I said I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

JRJR just belongs at Marvel.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    JRJR just belongs at Marvel.
    Yeah, Marvel is in his DNA. I wonder what title he will be working on?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Mixed feelings on this but somewhat optimistic. On the one hand, I didn't enjoy his last run on Action Comics with Bendis one bit. When he's phoning it in AND he's inked by the otherwise great Klaus Janson, his art has an unfinished, sketchy look that makes it quite unappealing to me. When paired with a good colourist and a different inker however, and actually puts the time in, his work is still absolutely beautiful like in Superman: Year One. So I'm curious to see who he's paired with for this new Marvel stint and also what project/s he'll be working on, but as I said I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic.
    Eh, can't agree with you on Klaus Janson. If anything, I've seen him on other artists and he does give them a sketchy look on their work too.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-31-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Incredible Member

What sad news for Marvel fans

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Romita Jr back at Marvel... ugh, the dude's a has-been. Hated his work on Bendis's Action Comics.
    Yay! i love his art. The amount of technicality that goes into what he produces is amazing. I just love looking at his pencils and grids. Hopefully he is joining the x-line.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Lmao good! And if Marvel traded one of their good artists to DC for him all the better
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lmao good! And if Marvel traded one of their good artists to DC for him all the better
    Marvel doesn't have THAT many of those these days IMO. I'm going to wait and see on this with him. I'm curious to see what title he is going to work on.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-31-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    What sad news for Marvel fans
    Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Yay! i love his art. The amount of technicality that goes into what he produces is amazing. I just love looking at his pencils and grids. Hopefully he is joining the x-line.
    Yeah I was actually thinking July would be a match for one a new artist is debuting on Hickman's X-Men. I was thinking of Sara Pichelli initially due to her being part of the art team of June's Gala issue, but JR Jr would also fit the bill.

excellent the king is back now get rid of booth
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Not interested but there's plenty of books they could stick him on without being a problem for me lol.

I'll drop X-Men if he's the artist, probably.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Please explain.
    What's to explain? His artwork is basically taking a pencil, scratching it back and forth, and done. The last time I enjoyed any of his art was on Amazing Spider-Man. In the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    excellent the king is back now get rid of booth
    Fortunately he's been shipped off to McFarlane and will likely be the artist on one of the new Spawn titles since he's contributing to the Spawn Universe one-shot. I personally don't like him but I think he could be a good fit for Spawn, especially if inked by McFarlane, so best of luck to him.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

"has-been"

HILARIOUS!!!
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!