Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 176
  1. #1
    The Kid 80sbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    924

    Default Godzilla vs Kong *SPOILERS*

    So this thread is so we can discuss the film without using spoiler tags

    I really enjoyed this film. The fights were epic and fun to watch! I think fans of both monsters will be pleased. Yeah, Big G "won" 2/3 but they still gave Kong 1 win and good showings all around. Kong is shown as more agile and MUCH smarter. I love they show the nuclear breath isn't a one-shot KO as some fans seemed to believe it would be. I was one who always assumed Kong could dodge it easily enough. And Kong never actually admits defeat to Godzilla but earns his respect, which is what I expected to happen.

    I did find it funny that they were spending time trying to shut down the satellite instead of just unplugging the Ghidora head.

    All in all, I liked this more than KOTM (which I also enjoyed) and would give it a 8/10.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    I think Kong would have fought better if he had a hot blonde woman in his corner. Kong tends to fight better when he had that
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  3. #3
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Yeah, Big G "won" 2/3 but they still gave Kong 1 win and good showings all around. Kong is shown as more agile and MUCH smarter. I love they show the nuclear breath isn't a one-shot KO as some fans seemed to believe it would be. I was one who always assumed Kong could dodge it easily enough. And Kong never actually admits defeat to Godzilla but earns his respect, which is what I expected to happen.
    I liked how the movie shows both of them could win depending on terrain, what they could use or even how they fought each other. Just like the previous great VS movie, Freddy vs Jason.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,544

    Default

    Sure hope this isn't the end of the Monster-verse, because it was an excellent movie, IMO.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Kong needs a power. All the other monsters have something they can do. Sure he got a weapon but that just made him feel...lesser. Maybe give him some kind of TK ability because he had such a big brain because he is a gorilla. All the other monsters have received power ups over the years but Kong has pretty much stayed the same.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  6. #6
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,958

    Default

    Utter garbage but not without some fun. The whole centre of the Earth thing made no sense but, man, that was some great spectacle. Loved Mecha Godzilla too for its sheer lunacy. For a movie this stupid, though, it's shocking how convoluted and incoherent its storytelling is. It's a major step up from the last Godzilla movie, though, in no small part because Kong feels like a much more fully formed character than his more reptilian counterparts. And, for that matter, every human character aside for maybe the little deaf girl.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  7. #7
    The Kid 80sbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Kong needs a power. All the other monsters have something they can do. Sure he got a weapon but that just made him feel...lesser. Maybe give him some kind of TK ability because he had such a big brain because he is a gorilla. All the other monsters have received power ups over the years but Kong has pretty much stayed the same.
    I disagree. Kong's "power" is that he's very intelligent and tactical in comparison to the other monsters, not to mention much more agile. His use of tools gives him an edge against them, imo. And it makes his fights more exciting since there isn't just an "easy win button," so to speak.

  8. #8
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Kong needs a power. All the other monsters have something they can do. Sure he got a weapon but that just made him feel...lesser. Maybe give him some kind of TK ability because he had such a big brain because he is a gorilla. All the other monsters have received power ups over the years but Kong has pretty much stayed the same.
    Let's not mix Flash villains with our kaiju, please.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  9. #9
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Enjoyed this bit of cheese in my film diet, but man. This has gotta be the most ridiculous version of Mecha-Godzilla we've ever gotten.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,409

    Default

    The plot was ridiculous. The science silly and many flaws in the military aspects. However, it was fun. The graphics were great. Mecha G really being possessed by Ghidorah was a nice nuance.

    The original Gojira had a deeper meaning and message than all the later films.

    The idea that there was a techno Kong family civilization is an interesting point. Wonder what happened to decivilized them?

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Enjoyed this bit of cheese in my film diet, but man. This has gotta be the most ridiculous version of Mecha-Godzilla we've ever gotten.
    Its not straying much from the Kiryu concept of MechaG. Just substitute Ghidorah brain possession for 'remembering' that it was the 1954 Godzilla.

  12. #12
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    So this thread is so we can discuss the film without using spoiler tags

    I really enjoyed this film. The fights were epic and fun to watch! I think fans of both monsters will be pleased. Yeah, Big G "won" 2/3 but they still gave Kong 1 win and good showings all around. Kong is shown as more agile and MUCH smarter. I love they show the nuclear breath isn't a one-shot KO as some fans seemed to believe it would be. I was one who always assumed Kong could dodge it easily enough. And Kong never actually admits defeat to Godzilla but earns his respect, which is what I expected to happen.

    I did find it funny that they were spending time trying to shut down the satellite instead of just unplugging the Ghidora head.

    All in all, I liked this more than KOTM (which I also enjoyed) and would give it a 8/10.
    I really liked it. I thought it was going to drag when it started into the secondary story of the conspiracy theory podcaster and the group with him but it turned out to connect to the main story.

    I loved that they had a clear decision. Godzilla wins easily in the sea and wins a hard fought land battle. But it takes King Thor Kong to beat Mecha-Godzilla but only because Godzilla seems to know he can power up the axe with his nuclear breath.

    Decent story with some feelings to it without taking itself too seriously.

    Got to watch "Skull Island" now. Was this a sequel?
    Power with Girl is better.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member protege's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Chandler az
    Posts
    4,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    The plot was ridiculous. The science silly and many flaws in the military aspects. However, it was fun. The graphics were great. Mecha G really being possessed by Ghidorah was a nice nuance.

    The original Gojira had a deeper meaning and message than all the later films.

    The idea that there was a techno Kong family civilization is an interesting point. Wonder what happened to decivilized them?
    I wondered how they got from middle earth to skull island; but then, if Godzilla can blast a hole in the ground in Hong Kong that reaches to middle earth, I guess anything’s possible.
    Now that I’ve seen it; I loved the visuals, and the music, but at times I felt I was watching two separate movies. And I only really liked the kong plot. Godzilla just shows up randomly to move the action along , with no clear understanding of what was motivating him. He attacks kong on the aircraft carrier, because why? And how did they even get kong to cooperate enough so they could get him on the aircraft carrier to begin with? Then Godzilla shows up in Hong Kong because he can sense gidorah somehow? Then there were the “bad” guys. Not really developed either. I was kind of dissapointed that neither Simmons or serizawa jr were arrested. That would have been preferable to them just getting killed. Serisawa jr was particularly underdeveloped; why was he helping Simmons build a robot to go after Godzilla? Was he mad because his dad cared more for Godzilla than him? Finally, I saw no real need for the russels to be there at all. All Mark did was worry about his daughter- again. And that reunion scene at the end seems to be a standard in all these movies.

  14. #14
    The Kid 80sbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Got to watch "Skull Island" now. Was this a sequel?
    The order goes:
    Godzilla (2014)
    Skull Island
    Godzilla: KOTM
    Godzilla vs Kong

  15. #15
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,361

    Default

    I didn't really dig this one. Part of it was the black engineer really reminded me of Anthony Anderson in the original Transformers- he just wouldn't shut up. The few characters they brought back from the last one were wasted, even Millie Bobby Brown was no where near as engaging as she was in the last one. Actually, she, her friend and the engineer were the worst parts of the movie for me. And the human villains(?) this time around were just stupid. Not to mention the wasted the idea of Serizawa's son.

    And for most of it, Godzilla was a straight-up villain, which he has never really been in two other movies.

    I did really like Kong- he was powerful and highly intelligent. The kid could have been annoying, but she was actually very sweet. Rebecca Hall's character- she spent 10 years studying Kong, and never realized he could speak sign language? Still, her and Skarsgard were the best parts of the human cast for me.

    The fights, at least, were very well done.

    All in all, if I were to rank them? It would be:

    Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    Kong: Skull Island
    Godzilla
    Godzilla vs Kong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •