Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I don't understand this 'need' to always escalate threats.

Godzilla was rampaging. Humans tried to stop him with Kong.

Why do we need more than that?
    If they would have made it as simple as that, it wouldn't be a problem but the point the movie made was that apex was to blame for Godzilla rampaging. So they painted Godzilla as a villain but then he wasn't actually villain. If Godzilla was just jacking stuff up to bring out Kong and show he is the bigger alpha (which isn't out of character for him) then its completely fine imo. But he was rampaging because he knew that an unpowered mecha godzilla was out there?

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    If they would have made it as simple as that, it wouldn't be a problem but the point the movie made was that apex was to blame for Godzilla rampaging. So they painted Godzilla as a villain but then he wasn't actually villain. If Godzilla was just jacking stuff up to bring out Kong and show he is the bigger alpha (which isn't out of character for him) then its completely fine imo. But he was rampaging because he knew that an unpowered mecha godzilla was out there?
    How does that not make sense? He's always been drawn to Ghidora so when he senses him again, it sets Godzilla off. He wasn't attacking random spots.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I don't like how they let Godzilla beat Kong two out of three times and then let Kong have the victory against MG only because Godzilla was tired from fighting Kong.
    Yeah I wasn't a fan of that either but I also thought that Godzilla was so OP from the prior films that nothing about Kong, outside of physical strength actually matched Godzilla's power equally.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    How does that not make sense? He's always been drawn to Ghidora so when he senses him again, it sets Godzilla off. He wasn't attacking random spots.
    I get him being drawn to Ghidora due to MG, but the part I don't get is that MG was powered off the whole time until apex was able to get the energy source from hollow earth. If MG isn't powered on, isn't it the same as a dead Ghidorah at that point?

Ultimate Member

I get him being drawn to Ghidora due to MG, but the part I don't get is that MG was powered off the whole time until apex was able to get the energy source from hollow earth. If MG isn't powered on, isn't it the same as a dead Ghidorah at that point?
    They were mixing in Ghidorah's brain into every part of Mecha-Zill and doing test runs. They got him up to 40% in one scene. That's what Godzilla was sensing

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They were mixing in Ghidorah's brain into every part of Mecha-Zill and doing test runs. They got him up to 40% in one scene. That's what Godzilla was sensing
    Ah, I missed that part then where they got him up to 40%. From that standpoint it makes a bit more sense, then it did.

MechaG wasn't powered off, though. He just wasn't at full power (40%).

Astonishing Member

The movie felt like a PR piece for Kong, his interactions with the girl were the only human scenes worth the time taken to shoot them. Godzilla's motivation is to remain the apex Titan, any challengers pop up G rides in to smack them down, didn't get so much of a protector of earth vibe as a king of the hill vibe but I am fine with that. I wouldn't want G longingly looking into Millie B. Brown's eyes or anything like that. We got fights, G won so I can't complain but the plots were so thread bare until the monsters started fighting it was hard to ignore how stupid the plot was, that being said that was such a small part of the movie it wasn't too bad. KOTM felt like a love letter to Godzilla and his fans, G vs K felt like a Hollywood produced blockbuster sequel, we know what action the fans want give them that, know need for much of a plot/writer/script besides.

Was just thinking about this power source they were after. It seems like it was the same energy that Godzilla produces (they even had the image on the ground, presumably the source, look like him). They’ve said that the Titans come from a time and place that had higher levels of radiation. So the power that Alexander Skarsgard’s character says can save mankind is just nuclear power?

I said in my initially reaction post that I didn’t mind the plot being paper thin, I do actually wish they wouldn’t have glossed over so much. The fate of Skull Island was mentioned in a few sentences. I guess there was a storm of some kind. Sure why not? The scientist woman said something about Kong outgrowing the island. I wish that would have been a better driving force for moving him. Not to mention the fact they don’t explain how the hell they can transport him all over the place.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that either but I also thought that Godzilla was so OP from the prior films that nothing about Kong, outside of physical strength actually matched Godzilla's power equally.
    Oddly enough it was Godzilla’s physical strength that got him the KO. But humans didn’t conquer this planet through brute strength but with our ape brains. So I guess Kong’s ancestors didn’t have to always be the strongest to rule the hollow earth because they could make tools.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-01-2021 at 08:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

They sure were able to replicate that power source fast, weren't they?

Extraordinary Member

Just speaking in terms of the rumble itself, very glad that they didn't go the obvious route of making the underdog come out on top. I was expecting it to be like the 60s film where Godzilla wins round 1 and Kong bounces back with some contrivance to win the rematch, but they didn't do that. I did appreciate the callbacks to the original with how they transported Kong, first on a ship and then being flown (balloons in the original, helicopters in the new film).

I watched this last night, I liked it but I prefer King of the Monsters and Skull Island. The plot was paper thin but the human characters served their purpose and weren't too annoying. Though the human villian was a waste of time and they wasted Ken Watanabe characters son. The highlight being the little girl and her relationship with Kong. The CGI here is fantastic and the fight scenes were also awesome (the Hong Kong fights were epic). Mecha Godzilla design was kinda weak though. I do feel they kind over hyped this movie though as one of the tag line says " one will fall" or something like that (implying one will die or something).

I was hoping Kong would have won more rounds in the fight than he did. The fight on the sea and the ship really shouldn't have counted in my opinion as that definitely wasn't a fair fight. Also, there is NO WAY that ship could hold the weight of both Kong and Godzilla on it. The biggest plot hole for me is how the film doesn't explain where the rest of the titans are the survived King of the Monsters (Rodan etc). I know they say it's been 5 years since the events of that film (in universe) but its weird none of them had a cameo, or reference, or appearance during the final fight in Hong Kong.

I give Godzilla VS Kong a 7.5/10
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 04-01-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Also, there is NO WAY that ship could hold the weight of both Kong and Godzilla on it.
    I mean, that's not how gravity works either. Like, at all. Not to mention that the acceleration of the mag-lev car would have seriously strained all three passengers if not killed them outright as they weren't strapped in. We're talking space shuttle type forces in play here. The film wasn't trying for any kind of realism. It was an excuse for two famous big monsters to beat on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    The biggest plot hole for me is how the film doesn't explain where the rest of the titans are the survived King of the Monsters (Rodan etc). I know they say it's been 5 years since the events of that film (in universe) but its weird none of them had a cameo, or reference, or appearance during the final fight in Hong Kong.
    This didn't really need explanation, though. Both Kong and Godzilla are Alpha Titans. Kings. They've earned their respective titles through combat. True, we're more told about Kong's victories than shown them (the end credits of KotM, mostly), but none of the other monsters want any part of getting between them. The only reason they got involved during KotM was because Ghidorah could compel them to fight.

Think of it like boxing. These two guys are both champions, they've defeated all comers thus far. Big G is the World Champ, Kong is a more regional presence. But Kong's very existence means that Godzilla's title is disputed. He needs to assert his dominance and put the younger buck in his place. Now, G is apparently content to let Kong have Skull Island. Stay there, there's no beef. But as soon as you hit international waters, it's on like Ali-Frasier.

The film kind of hand waves it a bit with the ancient rivalry stuff. Apparently Kong's ancestors and G's ancestors have had this battle before. They are natural rivals, as opposed to G and Ghidorah who are unnatural ones. Which is the only reason the ending kind of works. Mutual respect. Your territory and mine. Peace in our time.

I do wish they'd invested more time in Ghidorah's seeming resurrection as MechaG. The bot just sort of comes alive and that's the end of it. But this was a grudge match of truly cosmic proportions, and it would have been nice to see that given a little bit more recognition than it got. It's still there in the film, but it's very between the lines. They really needed Madison to tell her dad about Ghidorah's involvement and spend a wee spot of time with the humans dwelling on the fact that we resurrected a conquering alien menace, with advanced tech upgrades no less.

But the plot is so bare bones here, and was clearly not where they spent their energy making the film. I'm sure there are tons of holes and problems, if you actually look at it in any depth. It's flimsy, but it knows it. It really just wants you to watch Kong and Godzilla smash stuff. And that's ok, too.

I think I'd rate it below both KotM and Skull Island, the more I think about it. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy myself. I'd watch more of these if they think it's worth paying to re-up the rights. Hell, go get Gamera as well and do a full alien invasion picture with Big G, Kong, Mothra and Gamera defending the earth from an army of evil space Titans and I'd watch the crap out of that.

I grew up with kaiju films dismissed as puerile by pretty much any cultural arbiter I came across, so it's fun to see a movie that's thematically and tonally similar to something like Gamera vs. Jiger being largely embraced!

Godzilla's more of a hero antagonist than a villain. I didn't have a problem harkening Godzilla back to being a "threat to humanity" the way the first MV and original movies portrayed him, especially since the reason turned out to be valid enough (no Apex MechaGodzilla = no Godzilla rampage, after all).

But I suppose by going with that classic approach, by default it means that Kong would have gotten more screen time in order to satisfy the needs for more SFX appearances.

With that said, I realize that Kong getting more screen time and being the central protagonist is equitable (this is Godzilla's 3rd movie, Kong's 2nd), but I still feel some kind of way that Godzilla was basically a "special guest star," despite literally being the first name on the title.

It's also hilarious reading the character sheet on Wikipedia. Every other character has comments by either the actor or the producers about their characters' real motivations and personal drives, and even growth from previous movies, and yet -- we get almost none of that here. Not that anyone should expect these kinds of introspections in a monster-slugfest movie (though Godzilla's fame was built on being a metaphor), but the human characters should serve to assist in those metaphors. Here, they're really just set pieces to give the budget and the SFX artists a break.

I liked the movie for the most part, though. It was 2 hours of escaping reality for a bit, and that's all I can ask for. It wasn't as drawn out as KOTM, and it wasn't as meandering or pretentious like some other movies (ahem, JLSC).

I do wish we had a little bit more crossover with the mythos itself, i.e. MechaGodzilla vs. the Skullcrawler was fun for its entire 15 seconds, and in Kong fighting MechaGodzilla (a great enough concept as it is), peppering it as essentially Kong vs. Ghidorah was a nice added touch. I would've liked to see Godzilla vs. a swarm of Skullcrawlers or some of the beasties of Hollow Earth, and it would've been neat to see Kong vs. Rodan or other of Godzilla's rogues before the main event. Sure, they could be saving those types of battles for a future movie, but for now the slate is fairly clean and there isn't another Godzilla movie in development currently at Legendary -- the studio and Toho are still negotiating their next steps.

(also, Godzilla won all his fights with King Kong, Dr. Bland's line of "Round 2 goes to Kong" was premature, and Godzilla outright and viciously [and literally] stomped Kong undisputedly once he got his second wind -- so much so that that wasn't really "Round 3" so much as a continuation of Round 2 and a complete owning of Kong)
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-01-2021 at 11:36 AM.