Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Which Godzilla movies do we feel did the best with their human characters?

There's the original with its serious actors, Dr. Serizawa, Dr. Yamani, and the love triangle.

Final Wars had Don Frye and super-powered humans.

The Heisei films had Miki Sawagusa as a recurring character whose relationship with Godzilla and G-junior developed from film disappear.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

There's the original with its serious actors, Dr. Serizawa, Dr. Yamani, and the love triangle.

The Heisei films had Miki Sawagusa as a recurring character whose relationship with Godzilla and G-junior developed from film disappear.
    Easily the original

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Does anyone wish spoilers:
    MechaGodzilla
    end of spoilers had his vs. Godzilla movie in the MonsterVerse?
    Absolutely.

That was my biggest critique of the movie. This needed more screentime and origin time. It should have been used more than an obstacle. I makes it on the top tier list if you're looking at the strongest of the strong. I see why the writers did this though. Casual viewers would be more interested in lizard vs ape. However, its performance was amazing.

Overall, it definitely deserved its own movie. "Kevin's Revenge"
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-05-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Easily the original
    I think the original had it the easiest because Godzilla is bad. You actually need the humans in the story to stop Godzilla. There is no setting up monster fights or anything like that. It is a disaster movie.

When the humans are just window dressing to get monsters to fight each other, it gets a little bit more difficult to find that balance of having them useful without taking up too much time.

I think the biggest "human" issue of GvK was that there were too many of them and they made a couple of them caricatures.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Easily the original
    The leads in the '60s films are all super fun. Akira Takarada, Akira Kubo, Kumi Mizuno, Nick Adams, Tadao Takashima, Akihiko Hirata, Akiko Wakabayashi, and The Peanuts (the pop duo who played the Mothra twins) are all great performers... honestly, everyone's great in the '60s - now I'm thinking of all the weird-faced character actors who pop up for one scene or so in multiple films! Those films mashed up other popular genres of the time with the kaiju genre, so you got a lot of people popular for a type of screen persona reprising it in kaiju movie.

The humans in the Daimajin films are compelling.

Practically every Ultraman show has a likeable cast, even if it's not the best series.

In the last few decades I feel we've had a sportier record in regards to compelling humans (similar to the MonsterVerse). But movies like Shin Godzilla, GMK, Gamera: The Brave, and the Gamera Trilogy (my favorite!) all have great casts/characters.

Ultimate Member

Miki Saegusa was an interesting idea but she only was useful in about half of those movies.

I thought the Japanese and American pilots had a believable relationship in Monster Zero.

Captain Gordon and Xilien Commander in FW were entertaining in a hilarious way, but I don't feel Frye is a strong actor

I disliked the characters in Shin Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Absolutely.

That was my biggest critique of the movie. This needed more screentime and origin time. It should have been used more than an obstacle. I makes it on the top tier list if you're looking at the strongest of the strong. I see why the writers did this though. Casual viewers would be more interested in lizard vs ape. However, its performance was amazing.

Overall, it definitely deserved its own movie. "Kevin's Revenge"
    Kevin's Revenge is hilarious! I feel GvK should've come before KotM. While MechaG needed to be there from the start in his own movie, maybe as an anti-villain somewhat similar to the Heisei/Millenium versions, and Godzilla would team up with Angilas and/or King Shisa and/or Jet Jaguar to fight him

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It seems a lot of guys didn't like the character of Shin Godzilla.

That's my favorite modern Godzilla movie. The human characters were deliberately depicted as clueless and in over their heads.

There were no heroes or grand speeches. Even the Prime Minister died a completely unceremonious death.
    I understand the reasoning but they still weren't interesting characters, and dragged the movie down for me. Honestly the few good MonsterVerse human characters were better

I understand the reasoning but they still weren't interesting characters, and dragged the movie down for me. Honestly the few good MonsterVerse human characters were better

The idea of Shin Godzilla is everyone (at least the group at the end, as opposed to the self-serving charcters earlier in the film) acting as a collective - by the end it's like the city itself is fighting Godzilla!

It's partially why some commentators have criticized it as a nationalistic movie (I think it's a bit more complex then that, but I see their point).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    The idea of Shin Godzilla is everyone (at least the group at the end, as opposed to the self-serving charcters earlier in the film) acting as a collective - by the end it's like the city itself is fighting Godzilla!

It's partially why some commentators have criticized it as a nationalistic movie (I think it's a bit more complex then that, but I see their point).
    idk if it counts as nationalistic, but I'm not Japanese so i don't know enough about that to really comment yet.

I see the purpose of showing the characters as somewhat useless, as a response to Japanese government mishandling Fukushima (I think). I just didn't enjoy watching them. Making them so paper thin seems to be the reverse of good filmmaking IMHO.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Kevin's Revenge is hilarious! I feel GvK should've come before KotM. While MechaG needed to be there from the start in his own movie, maybe as an anti-villain somewhat similar to the Heisei/Millenium versions, and Godzilla would team up with Angilas and/or King Shisa and/or Jet Jaguar to fight him
    I agree and disagree.

I don't see any kaiju topping the Monsterverse King Ghidorah. It was terrifying, powerful,and its concept/design was absolutely perfect (For something so frightening it even looked majestic). It was everything I wanted in Ghidorah. Godzilla taking him down and showing he's the true king sounds like how a trilogy would end.

However, because of Ghidorah, it made this latest version of spoilers:
    Mecha Godzilla
    end of spoilers extremely powerful. It didn't move like a pilot controlling it but an actual Kaiju. It didn't have a targeting system when firing its weapons, but it 'breathed' the laser cannon and used its other weapons as reflexes. I personally thought the spirit of Ghidorah (and I loved that is was Kevin) still lingering in the Monsterverse was a great idea. Finally, combining arguably two of Godzilla's Strongest Foes was also an awesome twist (This version would destroy Destroyah) It was a good nod to Kiryu.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-05-2021 at 12:53 PM.

It was glorious. While there were a few issues overall I loved it, just saying. It is fun (mostly) mindless entertainment which is just what I need right now.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I agree and disagree.

I don't see any kaiju topping the Monsterverse King Ghidorah. It was terrifying, powerful,and its concept/design was absolutely perfect (For something so frightening it even looked majestic). It was everything I wanted in Ghidorah. Godzilla taking him down and showing he's the true king sounds like how a trilogy would end.

However, because of Ghidorah, it made this latest version of spoilers:
    Mecha Godzilla
    end of spoilers extremely powerful. It didn't move like a pilot controlling it but an actual Kaiju. It didn't have a targeting system when firing its weapons, but it 'breathed' the laser cannon and used its other weapons as reflexes. I personally thought the spirit of Ghidorah (and I loved that is was Kevin) still lingering in the Monsterverse was a great idea. Finally, combining arguably two of Godzilla's Strongest Foes was also an awesome twist (This version would destroy Destroyah) It was a good nod to Kiryu.
    Idk if we need to necessarily go "bigger" with each sequel. Not all godzilla movies do. But I agree with the rest of your points. I just wish MechaG had a more central narrative role in a monsterverse movie

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

My thoughts on Godzilla Vs. Kong.

Silly, but not silly enough. This movie should have been 90 minutes of Godzilla and King Kong duking it out with all of the human character cut out save for the Robert DeNiro impersonater.

Did anyone else find it weird that we had two sets of characters who never interacted with one another?

This movie made me interested in checking out more King Kong movies. What do people think of the 1976 film starring the Dude?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 04-05-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Did anyone else find it weird that we had two sets of characters who never interacted with one another?
    Not really, Bernie was fixated on Apex who didn't have interest in Kong until the last minute, and Madison was fixated on Godzilla's return after 3 years (Kong was a media non-entity).

But everyone from the Kong and Zilla teams shared a shot when Kong and Zilla stared at each other for the last time. Maybe they had Shawarma afterwards.

Ultimate Member

One thing I liked was seeing Godzilla team up with another monster. When did we actually last see him team up during the actual battle? because KotM kinda disappointed me on that front. He never really fought alongside Rodan or Mothra. So I appreciate getting that there.

Too bad there's no MechaniKong!