Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. I liked Super MechaG's power up but his design wasn't threatening enough IMO
    Yeah ... the pre docked Super G is kind of lame looking compared to all the others.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yeah ... the pre docked Super G is kind of lame looking compared to all the others.
    Yeah. But Super-MG did come closest to actually killing Godzilla

Both Legendary and Super Mecha came about The same degree of closeness. Both Godzillas needed a hand from another kaiju.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Both Legendary and Super Mecha came about The same degree of closeness. Both Godzillas needed a hand from another kaiju.
    Godzilla always needs a hand against MechaGodzilla, except Kiryu

Astonishing Member

I watched it and enjoyed it a lot. The movie did a good job of playing up Kong's agility and intelligence in contrast to Godzilla's raw power. Mechagodzilla was a welcome addition, despite the fact that we went from eco-terrorists finding Ghidorah's head to a big tech company finding it to explain Mecha-G's existence (What the hell. Toho kaiju movies were never good at continuity anyway). I also thought the Hollow Earth was an interesting way of implementing an old pulp sci-fi idea (going back to Jules Verne even) to create a new take on Monster Island. It's too bad this is probably the end of the Monsterverse. I could probably watch a whole bunch more of these.

One thing I'll never understand is the criticisms of these Monsterverse movies. On one hand we've got people complaining that these movies are nothing more than big, dumb monster wrestling. On the other we've got people complaining that there's too much of the humans and they just want to see big, dumb monster wrestling. I mean, could it just pick a lane already?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I watched it and enjoyed it a lot. The movie did a good job of playing up Kong's agility and intelligence in contrast to Godzilla's raw power. Mechagodzilla was a welcome addition, despite the fact that we went from eco-terrorists finding Ghidorah's head to a big tech company finding it to explain Mecha-G's existence (What the hell. Toho kaiju movies were never good at continuity anyway). I also thought the Hollow Earth was an interesting way of implementing an old pulp sci-fi idea (going back to Jules Verne even) to create a new take on Monster Island. It's too bad this is probably the end of the Monsterverse. I could probably watch a whole bunch more of these.

One thing I'll never understand is the criticisms of these Monsterverse movies. On one hand we've got people complaining that these movies are nothing more than big, dumb monster wrestling. On the other we've got people complaining that there's too much of the humans and they just want to see big, dumb monster wrestling. I mean, could it just pick a lane already?
    Different people complaining about different things, I would presume. But I feel the human characters were too many to really care about except Jia

Anyone else think MG looks so much better in RP1?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    It's too bad this is probably the end of the Monsterverse. I could probably watch a whole bunch more of these.
    I thought this was going to be the case after King of the Monsters but now I doubt it. Just talking business it's going to be the first profittable blockbuster released in theaters during a pandemic and people generally like it, people are going to watch another one in a safer world in a couple or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Anyone else think MG looks so much better in RP1?
    I'd have to rewatch but I just remember the Gundam. You really feel when MG drags Godzilla all over the screen.

I wouldn't say profitable more like break even.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I wouldn't say profitable more like break even.
    At theaters, yes. WB will have to decide if the new HBOMax customers make up for it. They say they had a big uptick, but won't release the numbers.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Honestly, I love Godzilla and Kong but I have no attachment with the shared "MonsterVerse" continuity, and I think that's probably the default for most audiences. I think getting filmmakers who have an interesting take on the character/world/genre without worrying about linking the films together is the way to go.