Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Got to watch "Skull Island" now. Was this a sequel?
    Less straight sequel, more continuation of Kong's story. Kong: Skull Island is a period piece that takes place in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The order goes:
    Godzilla (2014)
    Skull Island
    Godzilla: KOTM
    Godzilla vs Kong
    Thanks to you and AnakinFlair. I just started watching Skull Island. My watching is going to be all out of sequence but it will work.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

This def deserves an oscar for vfx seamless from top to bottom for the most part. I was concerned millie bobbi and crew would suck the life out of this like that last sucky godzilla movie. But GVK def lived up to the hype I was cheering for Kong at the end. Epic def multiple rewatches for this one!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    This def deserves an oscar for vfx seamless from top to bottom for the most part. I was concerned millie bobbi and crew would suck the life out of this like that last sucky godzilla movie. But GVK def lived up to the hype I was cheering for Kong at the end. Epic def multiple rewatches for this one!
    Human distractions I mean characters can be a necessary evil in these movies (I mostly forgot them from the previous Godzillas, Millie is cool though) but I think this movie buoyed them up well enough, especially the Kong side, so you don't have hard feelings by the time the credits roll and everyone goes their way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Human distractions I mean characters can be a necessary evil in these movies (I mostly forgot them from the previous Godzillas, Millie is cool though) but I think this movie buoyed them up well enough, especially the Kong side, so you don't have hard feelings by the time the credits roll and everyone goes their way.
    Yeah they were definitely used better here than in the last godzilla movie. I don't need family drama in my titan movies. Like seriously but here the humans helped move the plot along. And i felt Kong and godzilla were definitely the main chars. Kong more being the star.

Super fun. My heart will always belong to Godzilla, and he got some cool stuff to do in here, but I'll be the first to admit that Kong and the little girl ( and the crazy fantasy world of the Hollow Earth) stole the show. Light, fast, and fun - tonally very much like a '70s Godzilla movie or even one of the old Gamera movies. It's that kind of film. None of the weightier themes found in other installments, but that's fine. The genre has always contained movies like Shin Godzilla and ones like Godzilla vs. Kong.

Mighty Member

I liked it. I didn't love it. King of the Monsters was better.

I was surprised how sci-fi they went with the tech in some places. For more so than even in KotM, which had more than a little of the same. I was also surprised that the film, for the first time, didn't even attempt to tell a story with it's human characters. They were purely there to set up the monster fights. Which felt more than a little pointless, but did have the benefit of keeping them mostly out of the way of the fighting this time.

The plot itself is dumb. They needed to deepen the human villains and spend more time on their motivations to sell it. But then you're not spending as much time with the monsters. I thought KotM hit the happy medium, more or less. This one doesn't even try. Thing A goes over here, there's a moment of exposition to try and justify it, and then something big hits something else. But, honestly, we're not here for the plot, are we?

The monster fights were pretty good, particularly the climax in Hong Kong. I really liked the way they made sure to show both Kong and Big G being tactical in their thinking, and trying to use their respective advantages to gain the upper hand. It felt, and this is a compliment to the execution, like the big fight at the end of a boxing movie. Two prime contenders going toe to toe, giving their all. I ended the movie feeling like both characters were respected, even if one of them does in fact lose. I don't imagine that everybody can't guess the outcome, it feels like it had to go that way in the end.

spoilers:
    MechaG looked wonky. Not a huge fan of the design. But awesome in action. I do wish we'd gotten more weapons from him, but the thruster assisted attacks, anti-grav punches and shoulder charges, and drill tail were all badass. Definitely worth the price of admission. And Kong's signature head rip finisher is a wonderful way to warm up for Mortal Kombat in a couple of weeks.
    end of spoilers

Fun, if mindless. Not as loud as KotM, and lacked the truly epic feeling of that film. But the main event was worth the time, and there are definitely worse ways to spend an evening. I was Team Kong all the way, and I remain as much at the end of it all. But neither felt like a chump, or like they jobbed. My only regret is that we never got an Iron Man and Captain America style deflecting the energy beam around a corner style attack from Kong's new hardware.

Amazing Member

Why even have the 'Monster War' teaser in the trailer if it was gonna be ignored in the movie? The lady brings up the cave painting once and the Hollow Earth Hall sort of alludes to it with the Godzilla plate axe and the Godzilla hieroglyph art on the ground with the power source, but the "war" is never really acknowledge or explored. The lady kept saying that Godzilla would come for Kong, but why? he never had before, the only reason we have seen him fight other monsters was as Predator and prey with the MUTOs and an invasive, destructive species with Ghidorah. Did Godzilla went attacked Kong at some point? He didn't just went and attacked Rodan, Behemoth, Methuselah, etc and Kong was just Alpha of Skull Island. I feel like it didn't made sense for Godzilla to track him down and beat him down just to show dominance like that (which is part of the bigger issue of Godzilla being a non-character in this movie).

What was up with the Hollow Earth Hall? Was it smart Kongs, was it humans worshiping Kaiju? Between that and "Atlantis" in KOTM it feels like there should be a movie actually exploring the Hollow Earth civilization and maybe have Anguirus, Megalon and Ebirah involved.

There is a basically throw away line about the Skull Island storm wiping out the natives but did it wiped out everything else? how and when did they build that huge bio dome? All the other "containment facilities seemed like simple outpost on top of of dormant Kaiju if that. And how did they kept tranquilizing Kong?

Technology seemed to take a big leap in this movie. MechaGodzilla, the HEAVs, the APEX (hollow earth) rail system, the Skull Island Bio Dome. And I didnt get what they did with the hollow earth energy. So Kong knew to go to the Hollow Earth Hall cause genetic memory, but how did they knew that he would go to where the specific energy they wanted was? Like Godzilla's "Atlantis" energy source was just a thermal vent, not sci fi radiation rock. And then they just radio transmitted the energy? like they didnt actually tap into it, but synthesized it? Also Jesus Christ Godzilla blasting a hole to the Hollow Earth to scream at Kong was too ridiculous for me.

What happened to the rest of the Kaiju? at the end of KOTM some go back to sleep (like Rodan is mentioned to) but others are mentioned to still be out and about. It would have made more sense for the the reason to build Mecha G if some of the other Titans were mentioned to have had kept rampaging. No mentioned of what it took to rebuild all the cities attacked by the Titans during the Ghidorah induced rampage. Which I guess is par for the course with Kaiju movies but still.

Also was the Mecha G pilot supposed to be Serizawa's son?! 'cause woooww did they dropped the ball with that character if that was the case. Plus Mark Russell coming back to not do anything also a waste.

I didnt hate the movie. I loved the monster fights and at the end of the day that is why I watch this movies, but I really believe that King of the Monsters was the better movie. This one felt like it was missing pieces (that were never there or chopped off at editing). I dont mind if this is the end of the MonsterVerse but it is an odd end, I feel like too much was left opened/unanswered rather than concluded.

I really enjoyed it! The plot was paper thin, the human characters were pretty weak, but that’s not why we’re here. The fights between Godzilla and Kong were great! King Kong means a lot to me as the original 1933 version was a childhood favorite that I would watch all the damn time. He’s one of my favorite pop culture figures. So seeing Kong as a fully fleshed out character and the heart of this movie made me very happy.

While I was disappointed as a fanboy, I really have no problem with Kong getting KO'd. He's the Rocky of the Monsterverse. Rocky lost the big fight (in part 1) but "won" overall. Kong lost but I think he gained a ton of fans and came off looking great. Was it me or did Godzilla’s design look a bit more “ugly” in this compared to the previous 2 movies? He was made to look more villainous.

I was hoping they would end it with Kong finding more of his kind. Maybe in the sequel . There are a lot of questions I’d like answered on the follow up. Mainly what was up with the Kong cave? Were there humans that carved all that or are Kong’s descendants super smart. Though Kong is shown to already be more intelligent than he’s ever been portrayed. So maybe he has the capacity.

It’s amazing that Apex is the most highly advanced tech company in the world but they didn’t both to install security cameras .

Demián Bichir kind of reminded me of Ricardo Montalbán in one of his classic villainous role. That made the silliness all the more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-01-2021 at 01:05 AM.

Incredible Member

Saw it and have to say that it was just okay. I watched it on HBO Max but can see if I saw it in theaters I may have liked it better. The conspiracy group could've been left out of the whole movie and it would've been okay still. The fight scenes were good but they were the worst of the Godzilla films both the first film and KOTM had better and more fight scenes between monsters imo. I really didn't like that Godzilla was the villain for most of the film, and the reason I didn't really buy considering mecha godzilla wasn't even powered on until the last part of the film. Kong and the deaf girl are the best part of the film. For me it's a 7/10.

Astonishing Member

It certainly had better visuals and fight choreography but, man, this was paper thin and entirely predictable. Oddly enough, the parts I enjoyed were the stuff with Kong and the world building surrounding the Hallowed Earth and ancient civilisation. Why? Because all of those things are at least fresh. I liked Godzilla 2014 because it gave us a new monster. First chance they get and they serve up rehashes of Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (Godzilla: King Of The Monsters) and now King Kong Vs Godzilla (Godzilla vs Kong), except they added Mecha-Godzilla who, rather than being remade from Mecha-Ghidorah, is made from Ghidorah proper.

They have the entire Toho library to play with. I really hope any future films come up with something new. I guess the only saying grace is that they haven't introduced aliens yet. Every reboot of the franchise Japan does immediately turns to **** for me when they do that.

Incredible Member

One major aspect that I didn't like were the events that we didn't see happen but know from the film had occurred. All the monster fights that happened before this film that we didn't see. Kong and Godzilla apparently fought alot more monsters and we didn't see any of it.

How did Kong get captured? We missed out on the whole adventure of his capture. Where was Mothra?

The more I think about it KOTM was the better film not only by action but stakes and power too. The whole time I never once thought Kong had a chance without a power up (Godzilla is nuclear at this point). In KOTM Ghidorah came across as being more equal in power to Godzilla and the fate of the world was literally at stake in that film. Kong should've gotten some major power up outside of the axe he got in hollow earth. He could've breathed fire or something, got nuclear fists, or something.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 04-01-2021 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It certainly had better visuals and fight choreography but, man, this was paper thin and entirely predictable. Oddly enough, the parts I enjoyed were the stuff with Kong and the world building surrounding the Hallowed Earth and ancient civilisation. Why? Because all of those things are at least fresh. I liked Godzilla 2014 because it gave us a new monster. First chance they get and they serve up rehashes of Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (Godzilla: King Of The Monsters) and now King Kong Vs Godzilla (Godzilla vs Kong), except they added Mecha-Godzilla who, rather than being remade from Mecha-Ghidorah, is made from Ghidorah proper.

They have the entire Toho library to play with. I really hope any future films come up with something new. I guess the only saying grace is that they haven't introduced aliens yet. Every reboot of the franchise Japan does immediately turns to **** for me when they do that.
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that count. This film mentioned a Monarch (or maybe Apex?) site at Roswell, New Mexico several times, and we all know what Roswell is famous for.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    One major aspect that I didn't like were the events that we didn't see happen but know from the film had occurred. All the monster fights that happened before this film that we didn't see. Kong and Godzilla apparently fought alot more monsters and we didn't see any of it.

How did Kong get captured? We missed out on the whole adventure of his capture. Where was Mothra?

The more I think about it KOTM was the better film not only by action but stakes and power too. The whole time I never once thought Kong had a chance without a power up (Godzilla is nuclear at this point). In KOTM Ghidorah came across as being more equal in power to Godzilla and the fate of the world was literally at stake in that film. Kong should've gotten some major power up outside of the axe he got in hollow earth. He could've breathed fire or something, got nuclear fists, or something.
    I don't understand this 'need' to always escalate threats.

Godzilla was rampaging. Humans tried to stop him with Kong.

Why do we need more than that?

Mighty Member

I don't like how they let Godzilla beat Kong two out of three times and then let Kong have the victory against MG only because Godzilla was tired from fighting Kong.