Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I mean, that's not how gravity works either. Like, at all. Not to mention that the acceleration of the mag-lev car would have seriously strained all three passengers if not killed them outright as they weren't strapped in. We're talking space shuttle type forces in play here. The film wasn't trying for any kind of realism. It was an excuse for two famous big monsters to beat on each other.

This didn't really need explanation, though. Both Kong and Godzilla are Alpha Titans. Kings. They've earned their respective titles through combat. True, we're more told about Kong's victories than shown them (the end credits of KotM, mostly), but none of the other monsters want any part of getting between them. The only reason they got involved during KotM was because Ghidorah could compel them to fight.

Think of it like boxing. These two guys are both champions, they've defeated all comers thus far. Big G is the World Champ, Kong is a more regional presence. But Kong's very existence means that Godzilla's title is disputed. He needs to assert his dominance and put the younger buck in his place. Now, G is apparently content to let Kong have Skull Island. Stay there, there's no beef. But as soon as you hit international waters, it's on like Ali-Frasier.

The film kind of hand waves it a bit with the ancient rivalry stuff. Apparently Kong's ancestors and G's ancestors have had this battle before. They are natural rivals, as opposed to G and Ghidorah who are unnatural ones. Which is the only reason the ending kind of works. Mutual respect. Your territory and mine. Peace in our time.

I do wish they'd invested more time in Ghidorah's seeming resurrection as MechaG. The bot just sort of comes alive and that's the end of it. But this was a grudge match of truly cosmic proportions, and it would have been nice to see that given a little bit more recognition than it got. It's still there in the film, but it's very between the lines. They really needed Madison to tell her dad about Ghidorah's involvement and spend a wee spot of time with the humans dwelling on the fact that we resurrected a conquering alien menace, with advanced tech upgrades no less.

But the plot is so bare bones here, and was clearly not where they spent their energy making the film. I'm sure there are tons of holes and problems, if you actually look at it in any depth. It's flimsy, but it knows it. It really just wants you to watch Kong and Godzilla smash stuff. And that's ok, too.

I think I'd rate it below both KotM and Skull Island, the more I think about it. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy myself. I'd watch more of these if they think it's worth paying to re-up the rights. Hell, go get Gamera as well and do a full alien invasion picture with Big G, Kong, Mothra and Gamera defending the earth from an army of evil space Titans and I'd watch the crap out of that.
    How much does Madison know about monarch? Did she ever meet serizawa? It might’ve been nice if someone there might’ve known who his son was, but given how he was barely developed as a character... and how was he supposedly able to “ control” mecha g, anyway? Telepathy?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that count. This film mentioned a Monarch (or maybe Apex?) site at Roswell, New Mexico several times, and we all know what Roswell is famous for.
    If they do another, bet it will be a remake of Destroy All Monsters! Hollywood can't help themselves. I much prefer Godzilla films where they at least try to do something new. You'll know they are scrapping the bottom for ideas if Jet Jaguar shows up.

I freely admit I was rooting for Godzilla going in, but I'm just so pleasantly tickled that they didn't go with the obvious copout of having their fight interrupted by MechaG and avoid any clear winner at all.

I still have qualms with these MonsterVerse films making Godzilla squarely heroic (instead of an antihero or villain), but I enjoy how, in wrestling terms, Godzilla still got to play the heel in this movie.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Watched this last night and liked it. It was incredibly stupid, but the spectacle was neat and I appreciate that they are leaning into the ridciulousness of this stuff. It's the only trajectory you can really take with Kaiju movies. The first move started out relatively grounded, then we have space horror Ghidorah and Godzilla going Super Saiyan after being charged up by magical Mothra ashes. And now Godzilla shoots a hole through the Earth just to say "**** you" to Kong and Kong has an axe made from a Godzilla fin that super charges to lay the smack down against a giant robot powered by the ghost of an alien dragon. They are delivering with the crazy kaiju nonsense and it is fantastic. I think overall I liked KOTM more because it had more monsters I'm a fan of and the soundtrack was awesome. but this was still an entertaining and satisfying use of the two most iconic cinematic giant monsters. The three kaiju each had a distinct personality and were a joy to watch.

The humans aside from the little girl were pretty bland and forgettable. I actually liked the cast of KOTM better, and MBB's addition seems pointless here aside from the fact that she was in the last film and I guess they needed some humans on the Godzilla side of the narrative? Found it funny that Divorced Wolf Dad was shunted off to the side though.

The air craft carrier fight seeming like a likely shout out to Asuka/Eva-02's grand debut in NGE put the biggest smile on my face. As did "get in the robot"

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It certainly had better visuals and fight choreography but, man, this was paper thin and entirely predictable. Oddly enough, the parts I enjoyed were the stuff with Kong and the world building surrounding the Hallowed Earth and ancient civilisation. Why? Because all of those things are at least fresh. I liked Godzilla 2014 because it gave us a new monster. First chance they get and they serve up rehashes of Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster (Godzilla: King Of The Monsters) and now King Kong Vs Godzilla (Godzilla vs Kong), except they added Mecha-Godzilla who, rather than being remade from Mecha-Ghidorah, is made from Ghidorah proper.

They have the entire Toho library to play with. I really hope any future films come up with something new. I guess the only saying grace is that they haven't introduced aliens yet. Every reboot of the franchise Japan does immediately turns to **** for me when they do that.
    I think they only have access to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan and MechaG. Toho charged them up the ass for those licenses and they couldn't or didn't want to pay for any of the others.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I love Godzilla and even more so Kong. I've really enjoyed the last three movie with Kong being my favorite by far. I really even enjoyed this movie. However the two things that just grated my every nerve were the abundant over use of 1981s dayglo neon piping everywhere and the mega-synth music.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I love Godzilla and even more so Kong. I've really enjoyed the last three movie with Kong being my favorite by far. I really even enjoyed this movie. However the two things that just grated my every nerve were the abundant over use of 1981s dayglo neon piping everywhere and the mega-synth music.
    given that I saw it in a theater with twin 4K laser projectors and really good sound(AMC's Dolby Experience theater) I loved it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Watched this last night and liked it. It was incredibly stupid, but the spectacle was neat and I appreciate that they are leaning into the ridciulousness of this stuff. It's the only trajectory you can really take with Kaiju movies. The first move started out relatively grounded, then we have space horror Ghidorah and Godzilla going Super Saiyan after being charged up by magical Mothra ashes. And now Godzilla shoots a hole through the Earth just to say "**** you" to Kong and Kong has an axe made from a Godzilla fin that super charges to lay the smack down against a giant robot powered by the ghost of an alien dragon. They are delivering with the crazy kaiju nonsense and it is fantastic. I think overall I liked KOTM more because it had more monsters I'm a fan of and the soundtrack was awesome. but this was still an entertaining and satisfying use of the two most iconic cinematic giant monsters. The three kaiju each had a distinct personality and were a joy to watch.

The humans aside from the little girl were pretty bland and forgettable. I actually liked the cast of KOTM better, and MBB's addition seems pointless here aside from the fact that she was in the last film and I guess they needed some humans on the Godzilla side of the narrative? Found it funny that Divorced Wolf Dad was shunted off to the side though.

The air craft carrier fight seeming like a likely shout out to Asuka/Eva-02's grand debut in NGE put the biggest smile on my face. As did "get in the robot"

I think they only have access to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan and MechaG. Toho charged them up the ass for those licenses and they couldn't or didn't want to pay for any of the others.
    Since they used the Oxygen Destroyer in King Of The Monsters, maybe Destoroyah too? One can only hope. I didn't mind that one.

Stupid movie. But also. Good movie.

I like that Godzilla won. All is right in the world.

Also Godzilla was FAST like OH MY GOD HE EVEN JUMPED!!!

For once they had a cast of human characters that didn't make me want to rip my ears off. They even got me to laugh sometimes.

I wish the soundtrack was better. I seriously can't remember a single song.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I still have qualms with these MonsterVerse films making Godzilla squarely heroic (instead of an antihero or villain), but I enjoy how, in wrestling terms, Godzilla still got to play the heel in this movie.
    If anything they might be best to have him occupy a grey area. Neither heroic or villain. I do feel they are playing up Kong is more for humanity. This Godzilla is at the top of the chain and, so far, seems content so long as nothing exists that challenges that.

Still Godzilla's motives shift with each film. Depends on the story. The Showa Era was notorious for doing that.

Ultimate Member

I actually laughed at Godzilla laughing at Kong after he nailed him with the atomic breath spam.

I know it seemed a bit out of character but it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I actually laughed at Godzilla laughing at Kong after he nailed him with the atomic breath spam.

I know it seemed a bit out of character but it was funny.
    I literally came back to this thread to ask hardcore Godzilla fans how they felt about that. It was a bit weird to see Godzilla actually smile and laugh (reminded me of Bowser from Super Mario games lol). I like both Kong and Godzilla, but I wish Kong would have gotten in one last fight with Godzilla to tie it up in terms of wins. Kong is smarter than Godzilla, but Godzilla is just to OP lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I literally came back to this thread to ask hardcore Godzilla fans how they felt about that. It was a bit weird to see Godzilla actually smile and laugh (reminded me of Bowser from Super Mario games lol). I like both Kong and Godzilla, but I wish Kong would have gotten in one last fight with Godzilla to tie it up in terms of wins. Kong is smarter than Godzilla, but Godzilla is just to OP lol.
    Well, I, for one, miss Dancing Godzilla:

Anyway, from what I understand, any moments of Godzilla being a jerkass here is inspired by the original Kong Vs. Godzilla, where he was even more of a jerkass there.

That..made...no...sense. Not saying it wasn't fun, and the FX was great. But in between the stupid bits were the parts that were just plain dumb. Liked the fights and I appreciate they finally did a Godzilla movie that didn't have the big end battle at night. This is not a good movie, but it is an entertaining one. I thought it was much better than the previous two Godzilla movies, which I thought were neither good or entertaining. (Liked Kong Skull Island a great deal)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That..made...no...sense. Not saying it wasn't fun, and the FX was great. But in between the stupid bits were the parts that were just plain dumb. Liked the fights and I appreciate they finally did a Godzilla movie that didn't have the big end battle at night. This is not a good movie, but it is an entertaining one. I thought it was much better than the previous two Godzilla movies, which I thought were neither good or entertaining. (Liked Kong Skull Island a great deal)
    What didn't make sense? I thought the story logic was pretty good, overall