Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It seemed like G was fully willing the rumble again

Where does G even go... i cant remember in KotM
    I think it was both of them trying to be tough guys and not let on how incredibly beat up they were but also showing some respect to the other. I felt like Kong standing up but putting the axe down was him kinda saying we’re cool and we don’t need to fight anymore but if you want to fight again I’ll scrape til I drop. Neither of them were in any shape to fight again and I doubt Kong had anything left in the tank to dodge Godzilla’s atomic breathe like before. Even though Kong probably wouldn’t have lasted much longer, he was never going to submit.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The energy source bothered me. It would be one thing if the company got a sample and brought it BACK to be used to power MechaGodzilla. But all they needed to do was.... what? remotely sample it, then duplicate its energy pattern?

Also, they made a big deal about getting into the hollow earth. Kong and the humans in the ships went through some kind of portal to get there. But all Godzilla needed to do is blast from the surface for long enough and he'd reach the center of the tootsie roll pop? And then Kong could just slide on down that new tunnel with no problem?
    Yeah the plot was stupid (something about energy?!?) and Godzilla being able to just blast a hole to hollow earth when they had made a big point about the challenges of getting there was incredibly silly, but it’s still a fun movie that knows exactly what it is. It’s not trying to be super pretentious and have some hidden deeper meaning. We just need a paper thin plot to get us to the point where these two iconic monsters beat the hell out of each other.

I was thinking about how it seemed like a happy ending but I found it a bit depressing. now that humans can access hollow earth, it’s just a matter of time before they destroy it. They’re probably going to extract all the energy and natural resources and start putting up condos. Humans finding new land rarely ends up well for the natural inhabitants.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-03-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Did putting the axe on the ground in that spot super charge G or something?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

This was so dumb I loved it.

Did putting the axe on the ground in that spot super charge G or something?
    You mean did Kong hit his G spot?

I'll see myself out now, thanks.

My partner and I watched it finally last night, I've been so excited to see it.

My thoughts are...What I liked/loved were obviously the Godzilla & Kong fights, I loved all the Kong scenes, I loved the special effects as they were amazing. Kong is my fav and always has been so he was so awesome. The action was great!

My dislikes or what I was iffy about are:

I didn't like that we never saw what happened to Skull Island, I didn't like that we never saw how Kong was captured.

I didn't like how they had to go through like a black hole/worm hole to get to the Earths Core and use a special kind of space ship coz gravity would crush them. But why could Kong go through and he was totally fine? Also how come Godzilla can just use his radiation breath to blow a hole from Honk Kong all the way to the earths core and then there was no worm hole and nothing mentioned about gravity and stuff.

I also was not a fan of how in the earths core there were rocks floating around, looked too space like to me. I would have preferred it to be more prehistoric looking and more jungle like.

I was not a fan at all how Kong kind of floated around thanks to gravity I guess.

Also so why was Godzilla going crazy attacking everything? If it was coz he could sense danger or whatever than why did he go and attack Kong when he was on the ship? I was a bit confused there.

I need to watch it again but overall I really did enjoy it but I guess I wish it was less scifi and more natural if that makes sense. I loved Kong Skull Island and wish the movie was more like that, more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post

Also so why was Godzilla going crazy attacking everything? If it was coz he could sense danger or whatever than why did he go and attack Kong when he was on the ship? I was a bit confused there.
    Godzilla attacked Apex facilities that were testing the Mech Godzilla. Siince it used Ghidora's skull/brain... he was drawn to it like he is drawn to all Alpha monster. So, Apex turns it out, Godzilla senses it, tries to find and destroy it.

He attacked Kong because Kong was another Alpha. They can sense each other. That is how Godzilla keeps finding monsters in the first two movies as well. Team Kong mentioned repeatedly that one of the reasons they didn't want to move Kong was because Godzilla would sense him and find him and there would be a brawl because Kong doesn't submit.

G basically shows up wherever he needs to assert dominance in order to remain the King of Monsters.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

... I guess with the run time of the movie, the choice was made to not get into much of the backstory of Apex, the CEO, his daughter, and the relationship to Monarch. Mark Russell really didn't have much to do in this story, at all. Curious.

there should have been more going on regarding why does Apex genetically raise skullcrawlers? Was it just to give Mechagodzilla sparring partners? Or were they looking to sell them as bio-weapons to countries?

Indeed, what was the "ultimate" purpose of Mechagodzilla? Was Apex going to loan it out-- or maybe create multiple copies, to combat kaijus who show up at random?

I wonder what other creatures that DNA was harvested from. obviously there was a skull of Ghidorah... (and what happened to the intact head that was sold to someone at the end of King of the Monsters?)

I thought that there might be some other kaiju monsters to show up in Kong's trek through hollow earth. The landscapes seem to change arbitrarily, though.. that was odd..
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 04-04-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ... I guess with the run time of the movie, the choice was made to not get into much of the backstory of Apex, the CEO, his daughter, and the relationship to Monarch. Mark Russell really didn't have much to do in this story, at all. Curious.
    Which I think is a good thing. Going into that stuff would have been KotM all over again... spending too much time on stuff people really don't care about.

Which I think is a good thing. Going into that stuff would have been KotM all over again... spending too much time on stuff people really don't care about.
    are there plans for comics? who has the license?

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    My partner and I watched it finally last night, I've been so excited to see it.

My thoughts are...What I liked/loved were obviously the Godzilla & Kong fights, I loved all the Kong scenes, I loved the special effects as they were amazing. Kong is my fav and always has been so he was so awesome. The action was great!

My dislikes or what I was iffy about are:

I didn't like that we never saw what happened to Skull Island, I didn't like that we never saw how Kong was captured.

I didn't like how they had to go through like a black hole/worm hole to get to the Earths Core and use a special kind of space ship coz gravity would crush them. But why could Kong go through and he was totally fine? Also how come Godzilla can just use his radiation breath to blow a hole from Honk Kong all the way to the earths core and then there was no worm hole and nothing mentioned about gravity and stuff.

I also was not a fan of how in the earths core there were rocks floating around, looked too space like to me. I would have preferred it to be more prehistoric looking and more jungle like.

I was not a fan at all how Kong kind of floated around thanks to gravity I guess.

I need to watch it again but overall I really did enjoy it but I guess I wish it was less scifi and more natural if that makes sense. I loved Kong Skull Island and wish the movie was more like that, more realistic.
    I had just assumed that there had been a previous movie I had not seen yet that explained how Kong ended up in some weird holodeck situation that was a simulated Skull Island. Then, it turns out it really is Skull Island? But I guess there was no previous movie that explains it.

The Black Hole thing made no sense. Movies frequently throw in things to show off special effects that make no sense., It's akin to the wall of lightning storms in "Kong: Skull Island" that they had to take the copters through. But, at the end, when they are leaving the island on a makeshift raft, there are conveniently no storms at all.

Also, a random axe just lying there turns out to be this highly significant artifact but we never find out it's history other than assuming it was the axe of some previous giant ape king.

All of which goes to the main problem with these sorts of movies. Nobody gives a c**p about the human parts of the movie. They are just filler because you can't have Kong fighting Godzilla for an hour followed by Kong and Godzilla fighting Mecha-Godzilla for an hour.

The first Godzilla I ever saw was Godzilla versus Megalon which was basically an entire movie mostly of them fighting which was a bore fest after ten minutes. Or, as I said when someone asked me what I thought of the "Hulk versus Thor" and "Hulk versus Wolverine" movies, I responded, "Movies? Oh, you mean those one hour long fight scenes".

I really think that now, in the Age of Streaming, what would really work is a "short", maybe twenty minutes or thirty. Five minutes to set up the situation. Kong and Godzilla fight for twenty minutes. Five minute aftermath that nobody watches.

Kong versus Godzilla did keep my attention, mostly for the jungle scenes, the fights and the little girl which was maybe cliche but worked for me.

I thought Kong: Skull Island was the best of the lot, ironically the only one without Godzilla. It was basically a Vietnam War movie with King Kong in it.

Godzilla (2014) just dragged for me. Way, way too much of the human parts of the story that nobody cares about. Basically, a disaster movie with giant monsters being the disaster instead of a hurricane or whatever.

I have not seen King of the Monsters yet. The impression I get on this forum is that people consider it the worst of the lot.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

You know, I don't spend much time looking at CBR's front page, with the news items and articles, on account of all the stupid click bait crap they write these days. But every now and then it's worth it, just for the stupid click bait crap that makes it clear they didn't even WATCH the movie they're talking about.

They have an article up comparing GvK to The Rise of Skywalker, claiming that "Somehow Palpatine returned," which was absurd and lazy writing, compares to the explanation for why Godzilla was being aggressive and rampaging in this film, using the line "Something provoked Godzilla." The difference being that, in this film, something actually HAS provoked Godzilla, and it is explicitly called out in the film as to exactly what and how in case the audience isn't able to make the connection themselves. Really, CBR? Did you write your click-bait from a synopsis after passing on viewing the film? Now, on the other hand, I suppose they got a click so they're happy enough to be the Donal Trump of the comic and movie news world.

I remember when this site used to actually be good comics journalism. Depressing as all hell.

But yeah, Ghidorah, dumbf$%#s. That's what was provoking Godzilla. Remember KotM? Big rival, bad juju? No, not ringing any bells? The entire point of Millie Bobbie Brown's "arc", aka how to collect a quick paycheck, is explaining why Godzilla is pissed off. It isn't glossed over, left up to guessing, or just imagined for the sake of rushing a quick ending with a villain your heroes don't deserve. False equivalence, thy name is CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Basically, a disaster movie with giant monsters being the disaster instead of a hurricane or whatever.
    You know what other film you just described, perfectly? The ORIGINAL Godzilla, from the 50's. That's the point. He's an expression of Japanese angst and fear in the wake of the atom bomb. The US film took him in the direction of climate change, but same idea.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 04-04-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Ultimate Member

I just saw that, yeah. They pretty clearly explained why Godzilla was pulling his rampage act.

I swear, this movie was far from perfect, but the internal logic was solid and motivations weren't so complex that they couldn't be understood.

Rewatching the beginning, it made sense why the first scene is Kong shielding his eyes from the sun then throwing a giant stick at it. There's no sun (or open sky for that matter) in the hollow earth, so it was a constant reminder that this wasn't his home.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I just saw that, yeah. They pretty clearly explained why Godzilla was pulling his rampage act.

I swear, this movie was far from perfect, but the internal logic was solid and motivations weren't so complex that they couldn't be understood.
    The internet wants to so quickly jump on the "criticize" bandwagon that I don't even think they sit and watch movies... they sit and look for reasons to not be entertained.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I was thinking about how it seemed like a happy ending but I found it a bit depressing. now that humans can access hollow earth, it’s just a matter of time before they destroy it. They’re probably going to extract all the energy and natural resources and start putting up condos. Humans finding new land rarely ends up well for the natural inhabitants.
    Who knows what the future will hold but for now I'll stick with the happy ending and I'm sure the studio has learned a lesson about being too gloomy here. I'd think Monsterverse humans would make treaties against that kind of thing, with Apex's technology to reach Hollow Earth appropriated after their CEO's death, since Apex's overreach was what caused the biggest Titan damages in years since Ghidorah and Kong and Godzilla already reached a truce.

By the way I still love how the movie's first Godzilla vs Kong fight out in the sea is basically Kaiju Jaws, with Kong as the underdog hero.