Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Does anyone wish spoilers:
    MechaGodzilla
    end of spoilers had his vs. Godzilla movie in the MonsterVerse?

Extraordinary Member

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I enjoyed King of the Monsters more than this one.
    The plot holes were far too many and too large for me to ignore, even as I tried to escape and not think too much. The acting was no bueno and honestly, I'd wish they'd leave the humans out of these movies in the future. I'm all about just watching the monsters fight each other at this point because the human elements drag these movies down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    The plot holes were far too many and too large for me to ignore, even as I tried to escape and not think too much. The acting was no bueno and honestly, I'd wish they'd leave the humans out of these movies in the future. I'm all about just watching the monsters fight each other at this point because the human elements drag these movies down.
    This is wild to me because the humans in KotM had such a larger and central role in the movie compared to GvK
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I made the "Mothra!" joke when watching that scene

I think they should just reduce the human roles to 2 or 3 actually developed characters and keep throughout the series

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I was pretty disappointed in this, the trailers with the little girl interacting with Kong made me think there was actually going to a some what interesting story woven into all the monster fights...but it felt more than a little superfluous

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This is wild to me because the humans in KotM had such a larger and central role in the movie compared to GvK
    And I thought those roles and dialogues were much better in KotM, even though still a bit weak overall. Thus, after seeing GvK, I'm now at that point where I'd like as little human dialogue and roles as possible.

And I agree with Mik's take, if this is what they're going to keep doing, then narrow it down to just a few primary characters that we can follow. I think they're trying that with Millie Bobbie Brown but I felt her character took a step backwards in this one compared to KotM.

Extraordinary Member

In all Godzilla movies the humans are just there to move the plot along.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    In all Godzilla movies the humans are just there to move the plot along.
    Ok, something a few of you are not accepting or understanding: they were atrociously worse in this (GvK) than before (2014, 2019 - won't bring up the previous entries before those), at least in my opinion. That's all I'm saying.

While I did certainly have a lot of fun with this movie I do find it disheartening that the emerging narrative around it in the last couple of days is that kaiju movies must always be very simple, silly, and have little human material (if at all) so as not to get in the way headlining monsters. This is simply not the case, as the best Kaiju movies are ones that have great characters, interesting stories, moodiness and suspense, etc etc etc... same things any good movie needs.

I hope further films from Legendary/WB aim higher. Maybe lower budgets would force them to invest in good stories. Shin Godzilla, The Host, Cloverfield, and Collossal were all low budget films by Hollywood standards.

Extraordinary Member

Ok, something a few of you are not accepting or understanding: they were atrociously worse in this (GvK) than before (2014, 2019 - won't bring up the previous entries before those), at least in my opinion. That's all I'm saying.
    I would disagree entirely. When 2014 came out, the biggest complaint was that the human characters took up too much screen time and we didn’t get payoff to seeing the monsters. It was far and away the biggest complaint. People even complained about it in 2019. In this film, the humans were only vehicles for the monsters and could be largely ignored. The humans main roles were to get Kong on a journey to Hollow Earth which facilitated Kong and Godzilla being in the same path to fight (and later restart his heart) and to uncover the mystery of Mecha Godzilla for plot purposes so he wouldn’t show up out of nowhere. It was light and minimal just to get to what people care about.

And when I say Godzilla films, I mean all Godzilla films. Aside from the original and Shin Godzilla (which is basically a modernization of the original), the human plots are largely jargon to be screen filler. You ever see the original King Kong vs Godzilla? It’s about a business tycoon trying to use Kong to sell product. You ever see Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, which is basically the original KOTM? It’s a bunch of nonsense and sideplots to exposition dump and fill time until you get to
    Godzilla and Rodman fighting and Mothra eventually getting them to team up

Ultimate Member

And I thought those roles and dialogues were much better in KotM, even though still a bit weak overall. Thus, after seeing GvK, I'm now at that point where I'd like as little human dialogue and roles as possible.

And I agree with Mik's take, if this is what they're going to keep doing, then narrow it down to just a few primary characters that we can follow. I think they're trying that with Millie Bobbie Brown but I felt her character took a step backwards in this one compared to KotM.
    I agree. Millie Bobbie Brown's character felt a big inconsistent between both movies.

Although, I liked Serizawa in KotM and I feel a role like that was missing in GvK. So I think that kind of role would allow the human scenes to be better

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I would disagree entirely. When 2014 came out, the biggest complaint was that the human characters took up too much screen time and we didn’t get payoff to seeing the monsters. It was far and away the biggest complaint. People even complained about it in 2019. In this film, the humans were only vehicles for the monsters and could be largely ignored. The humans main roles were to get Kong on a journey to Hollow Earth which facilitated Kong and Godzilla being in the same path to fight (and later restart his heart) and to uncover the mystery of Mecha Godzilla for plot purposes so he wouldn’t show up out of nowhere. It was light and minimal just to get to what people care about.

And when I say Godzilla films, I mean all Godzilla films. Aside from the original and Shin Godzilla (which is basically a modernization of the original), the human plots are largely jargon to be screen filler. You ever see the original King Kong vs Godzilla? It’s about a business tycoon trying to use Kong to sell product. You ever see Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, which is basically the original KOTM? It’s a bunch of nonsense and sideplots to exposition dump and fill time until you get to
    Godzilla and Rodman fighting and Mothra eventually getting them to team up
    IMO Shin had some of the weakest human characters ever.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I was pretty disappointed in this, the trailers with the little girl interacting with Kong made me think there was actually going to a some what interesting story woven into all the monster fights...but it felt more than a little superfluous
    My thoughts too.

I didn't really enjoy the movie very much.

It felt very empty to me.

Ultimate Member

It seems a lot of guys didn't like the character of Shin Godzilla.

That's my favorite modern Godzilla movie. The human characters were deliberately depicted as clueless and in over their heads.

There were no heroes or grand speeches. Even the Prime Minister died a completely unceremonious death.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    This is simply not the case, as the best Kaiju movies are ones that have great characters, interesting stories, moodiness and suspense, .
    What are some examples of this?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html