Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Well, which is the better Hamill performance?

ROtJ has that monologue about torturing BTAS Tim, ending with that just brutal “It would have been funny if it weren’t so pathetic…Oh, what the hell, I’ll laugh anyway!” line.
    I think MoTP had the most memorable Joker laugh.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well, which is the better Hamill performance?

ROtJ has that monologue about torturing BTAS Tim, ending with that just brutal “It would have been funny if it weren’t so pathetic…Oh, what the hell, I’ll laugh anyway!” line.
    I'd probably go with ROTJ overall since it was more restrained at times and creepier as a result.

But like Frontier said, MOTP had some of his best laughs.

Extraordinary Member

Part II is out, and Part II is *good.* Part I wasn’t bad, but Part II’s in a different league.

There’s much more stylistic confidence and creativity in adopting Two-Face’s debut. Duhamel wasn’t a stand-out in Part I, but he is here. Poison Ivy is a powerhouse in this thing. And yeah, they definitely cleaned up the mystery segment a lot, and it works surprisingly well… and a bit of Dark Victory and When In Rome applies to Selina that adds some depth and nuance to her role in the finale.

Also, rather hilariously, the credits say Titus Welliver voiced Luigi Maroni as well as Carmine; dude was a highlight of Part I, and it’s fun to see them decide the best dude to voice the guy who almost killed Falcone is Falcone.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

There’s much more stylistic confidence and creativity in adopting Two-Face’s debut. Duhamel wasn’t a stand-out in Part I, but he is here. Poison Ivy is a powerhouse in this thing. And yeah, they definitely cleaned up the mystery segment a lot,
    That does not inspire me with confidence...but I knew they weren't going into this thing with the care to be faithful in the slightest to begin with so, eh.

Both of these movies had shown Batman to be the worst detective in the world, so that ending was satisfying.

I know that Nolan took a lot from The Long Halloween for The Dark Knight, but I feel like maybe the producers of this took a few things from The Dark Knight for themselves. Two-Face's voice really reminded me of Bale's growl, and that end in the basement really reminded me of Batman in the last scene of The Dark Knight.

I like to think the trick or treater at the end (the kid) was Tim Drake.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Both of these movies had shown Batman to be the worst detective in the world, so that ending was satisfying.
    One of the common criticisms of the comic was how bad Batman's detective work was in the story and how ineffectual he was...so the fact that the movie made it kind of a plot point arguably brings that together.
    I know that Nolan took a lot from The Long Halloween for The Dark Knight, but I feel like maybe the producers of this took a few things from The Dark Knight for themselves. Two-Face's voice really reminded me of Bale's growl, and that end in the basement really reminded me of Batman in the last scene of The Dark Knight.
    Every Two-Face voice just sounds like their channeling their own interpretation of Richard Moll's Two-Face to me...not that that's a bad thing.

Seems like the JL is starting to form in TLH. GA and Flash are going to appear

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed Part 2. Wasn't as blown away as I was for Part 1, but that might just be my expectations being higher. I'll hold off on spoilers, but it did fix some of my issues with the later portions of the comic. The mystery came together more for me (even if I still have a few questions, but a second viewing may clear that up) and Harvey's fall worked a lot more here. I also LOVED Scarecrow. Robin Atkin Downes was really creepy and the hallucination sequence was the highlight of the movie. My biggest criticism was one dialogue exchange making no sense between Batman and Falcone (the gf and I spent 5 minutes with the movie paused trying to understand what it meant) and the animation was a tad less consistent in this one. I still absolutely love the designs of this new universe though.

Overall, I am eager to watch both parts in one sitting. I think this could still be one of my favorite Batman movies (maybe below Begins, Dark Knight, and Mask of the Phantasm), but I want to see how it plays all together.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    One of the common criticisms of the comic was how bad Batman's detective work was in the story and how ineffectual he was...so the fact that the movie made it kind of a plot point arguably brings that together.
    Yeah when the actual comic undermines Batman's status as the World's Greatest Detective as badly as it does, I think anything is a step up and appreciate them at least trying to address it.

I don't think Loeb's Bruce ever got better at detective work even by the time of Hush....

Extraordinary Member

On rewatch, I really think they were wise to have Selina know Bruce’s identity here; it tightens things up both on the plot end and from the character end a lot.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 07-28-2021 at 02:42 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

spoilers:
    A lot of the changes were quite welcoming;

I love that Catwoman is more supportive in this adaptation. And the fact that the one plot-point from Dark Victory/ When In Rome is brought up was fantastic.

THANK GOD SCARECROW DOESN'T SPEAK IN NURSERY RHYME. SERIOUSLY LEOB, WHAT WAS WITH THAT?!?

Having "Big Bad Harv" echoing in Harvey's mind was fun as heck, and it made the courthouse scene all the more creepy.

The Holiday Killer story-line is alot more interesting in this story with the one plotpoint similar to Dark Victory (coughOXFORDcough) being intriguing. And Batman being there at the reveal was well done.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    spoilers:
    THANK GOD SCARECROW DOESN'T SPEAK IN NURSERY RHYME. SERIOUSLY LEOB, WHAT WAS WITH THAT?!?
    end of spoilers
    Oh thank God, that is a VAST improvement

Extraordinary Member

The combined two-part story is now much more of a “fair play” mystery, which I enjoy much more, especially since, again, Harvey’s fall is much more a substantial drama plot driving the story to its climax over the mystery.

Utterly brilliant. ::chef’s kiss::

Will write more later.

I actually really liked Long Halloween Part 2 - sadly there's a glaring not so good that drags it down a lot though in my estimation, namely that I found Part 1 so poorly done. Part 2 is a really good movie bordering on great, while Part 1 is just mediocre enough to not be considered bad outright.
    Anyways, good or bad it's over now - that was the last great iconic Batman story adapted, so I no longer have to fear if it'll be good or bad when they announce future adaptations. Most were good (TDKR, Year One) one was awful (TKJ) and one was mixed (TLH). I still would've preferred they'd made TLH 10 years ago when there was a chance of it being a legitimately great film, but I have to settle for a mediocre as heck first part and a pretty good but not great second part. It could've been worse, but on the other hand part one could've been a few light years better so...

Again, it's over, at least I don't have to live in dread of them futzing up this adaptation anymore. Is that worse than having to learn to settle for a very middling movie and a mostly good followup to what should've been an instant classic? Is what it is. I wish I was like the others in this thread who loved this film, but I happened to have liked the comic book, not just for the art, and part one was kind of one of those things that was a really great and vast improvement for fans who didn't like the book I think, so not for me. Just, yeah, really mixed feelings on all of this. Maybe in 20 or 30 years I'll get a Long Halloween adaptation that I'll completely like - probably not, probably this is the only one there will ever be. Again, I really, really, really liked part two for the most part, but yikes I wish the part one had been...not what it was.

Also I get they were trying to go cute for the after credits scene and hype up hype for this universe's Justice League movie for next year, but god that bit made me groan.