Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 204
  1. #106
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,013

    Default

    Here we go a new clip


  2. #107
    Amazing Member Micael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Here we go a new clip

    Maybe it's just me but I never saw Penguin as mentally ill, a little weird and sadistic but not crazy enough to be sent to Arkham.

  3. #108
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    68,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I never saw Penguin as mentally ill, a little weird and sadistic but not crazy enough to be sent to Arkham.
    The way they phrase it makes me think they're working it like Arkham is the only place that can contain criminals as dangerous as the Supervillains and not that they're all necessarily insane or crazy.

  4. #109
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    636

    Default

    I wish they had the budget to actually visualize these stories in a way that captures the comicbook art. Tim Sale is at least half the reason The Long Halloween is a beloved story, yet this doesn't resemble his art at all. It's a wasted opportunity, imo.

  5. #110
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    68,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I wish they had the budget to actually visualize these stories in a way that captures the comicbook art. Tim Sale is at least half the reason The Long Halloween is a beloved story, yet this doesn't resemble his art at all. It's a wasted opportunity, imo.
    It feels true to the spirit of the story and his art, in my opinion, but to each their own .

  6. #111
    Amazing Member Micael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Anyone notice how these new animated movies all have this awkward pause between lines that make the dialogue sound stiff? They need to work on that.

  7. #112
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    68,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Anyone notice how these new animated movies all have this awkward pause between lines that make the dialogue sound stiff? They need to work on that.
    Not really. At least, that I don't think is intentional?

  8. #113
    Amazing Member Micael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not really. At least, that I don't think is intentional?
    I don't think it's intentional but to me at least it's noticeable enough when I watch the movies. I remember someone arguing that it's due to the pandemic so the voice actors are not present in the studio together.

  9. #114
    Elektra Natchios vitaminbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I don't think it's intentional but to me at least it's noticeable enough when I watch the movies. I remember someone arguing that it's due to the pandemic so the voice actors are not present in the studio together.
    They usually aren’t in the studio together, ever. Most times they come in one or two at a time and record.

  10. #115
    Extraordinary Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,013

  11. #116
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I love Saleís art but I do love the style of the animated film. Itís SO MUCH BETTER than the old look of the animated films. They feel more comic like while still having some structure/volume to them. Also it doesnít abuse all the shines and lighting that the old Hush style did.
    I disagree and view this as SO MUCH WORSE than the old style. The old style's main faults were some of the costumes, but that's not really the old look's fault, and the fact that it got over used because 2/3rds or 3/4ths of all the films shared that style - it's the same fault this new style will inevitably have. But worse, unlike the old style, this new style is flat as flat can be. There's no illusion of depth, nothing to suggest curvature, the lines are just too glaringly big. I can't really comprehend how this is better in any way...

    Also what do you mean by "they feel more comic like"? In what way? I have comics, and none of them look like this. The Long Halloween certainly didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It feels true to the spirit of the story and his art, in my opinion, but to each their own .
    How can it feel true to the spirit of his art? It's just their new generic in house style with no thought given to being true to the spirit of any particular artist. Like really, how can it feel true to the spirit of the story when this story had literally zero influence in their decisions when coming up with this style? Unless you just mean like the really generic sense that it kind of works for any story sort of - serious, comedic, action, whatever - so it's "true" to the spirit of all stories? Which...isn't something that I find particularly appealing personally, but it's really the only way I can see this style being true to anything.

  12. #117
    Elektra Natchios vitaminbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I disagree and view this as SO MUCH WORSE than the old style. The old style's main faults were some of the costumes, but that's not really the old look's fault, and the fact that it got over used because 2/3rds or 3/4ths of all the films shared that style - it's the same fault this new style will inevitably have. But worse, unlike the old style, this new style is flat as flat can be. There's no illusion of depth, nothing to suggest curvature, the lines are just too glaringly big. I can't really comprehend how this is better in any way...

    Also what do you mean by "they feel more comic like"? In what way? I have comics, and none of them look like this. The Long Halloween certainly didn't..
    It isn’t highly rendered like the other one was. Where there were way too many highlights and shadows on the character designs and things looked muddied and cluttered. Now, it seems like less time is wasted on that and more on a more interesting design. You might consider it flat but it looks pretty good, form wise. Just because it lacks all those stupid highlights, doesn’t mean it’s flat epithet.

    As for the comparison with comics, it looks a little more graphic and more interesting, but art is subjective and what one person likes, another can hate. I appreciate this a whole lite more than how Hush looked though.

  13. #118
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    68,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    How can it feel true to the spirit of his art? It's just their new generic in house style with no thought given to being true to the spirit of any particular artist. Like really, how can it feel true to the spirit of the story when this story had literally zero influence in their decisions when coming up with this style? Unless you just mean like the really generic sense that it kind of works for any story sort of - serious, comedic, action, whatever - so it's "true" to the spirit of all stories? Which...isn't something that I find particularly appealing personally, but it's really the only way I can see this style being true to anything.
    It does to me. I mean, maybe it's just that I like the art style but from what I've seen of it it captures the story well and the spirit of Sale's art without being a direct recreation. The art style feels appropriate for the story.

  14. #119
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    It isn’t highly rendered like the other one was. Where there were way too many highlights and shadows on the character designs and things looked muddied and cluttered. Now, it seems like less time is wasted on that and more on a more interesting design. You might consider it flat but it looks pretty good, form wise. Just because it lacks all those stupid highlights, doesn’t mean it’s flat epithet.

    As for the comparison with comics, it looks a little more graphic and more interesting, but art is subjective and what one person likes, another can hate. I appreciate this a whole lite more than how Hush looked though.
    I didn't think it was too detailed/messy outside of some of the costumes, which again I don't blame on the style. I do agree that it looks like less time is spent on it now, but I don't think that's a good thing. Again, it's just too flat, like less effort was put into it as a whole. Again, my only problems with the old style was just that it was almost every movie and the costumes started out rough for a lot of characters (Superman, GL, WW), but that's just me I guess. It's not just that it lacks highlights - it really is just a flat epithet to me, and form-wise doesn't offer any improvements over previous styles. But like you said art is subjective, and to me there's literally nothing of any interest at all with the design. It's not the worst design ever, it's just...dull and flat to me. As an art style it's on about a similar level to tracing the outlines of popular characters - and only the outlines. It's very in your face that it exists in a 2-dimensional flat world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It does to me. I mean, maybe it's just that I like the art style but from what I've seen of it it captures the story well and the spirit of Sale's art without being a direct recreation. The art style feels appropriate for the story.
    It doesn't to me. But maybe it's that I just don't have a reason to like the art style. From what I've seen, sure it feels appropriate, but only because it's generic enough that it can, again, literally fit in with any and every story there is. But the spirit of Sale's art has nothing to do with this style and never has nor will - it's okay to like it, it's okay to feel it is appropriate, but I don't think it's right to say it's in the spirit of the original artwork - they never took the original artwork into consideration, it literally has nothing to do with it. It'd be the same as if they did this movie in the old shared universe style, or in the old DCAU style - there's no connection to Sale's art, so talking about it having the spirit of it just seems wrong. The one didn't ever inform the other - it's just a happy coincidence that it's not a style that feels out of place in this sort of more grounded/dark tone.

  15. #120
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    68,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It doesn't to me. But maybe it's that I just don't have a reason to like the art style. From what I've seen, sure it feels appropriate, but only because it's generic enough that it can, again, literally fit in with any and every story there is. But the spirit of Sale's art has nothing to do with this style and never has nor will - it's okay to like it, it's okay to feel it is appropriate, but I don't think it's right to say it's in the spirit of the original artwork - they never took the original artwork into consideration, it literally has nothing to do with it. It'd be the same as if they did this movie in the old shared universe style, or in the old DCAU style - there's no connection to Sale's art, so talking about it having the spirit of it just seems wrong. The one didn't ever inform the other - it's just a happy coincidence that it's not a style that feels out of place in this sort of more grounded/dark tone.
    I guess to me, I just don't really see it as a generic so it's fine for me and it's really grown on me.

    Visually it looks good and I think it fits, which is what I personally think matters at the end of the day. Butch Lukic said they were considering trying to adapt Sale's style before they shifted into using the current art style and I feel it's still evocative of his art in the clips I've seen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •