Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

I was. You guys think they will do Dark Victory? I think someone said it would be a great more to introduce Dick Grayson.

All new DC animated movies have this awkward pauses in dialogue and this one does too. I'm almost sure it's covid related the voice actors must not be working in the same studio so there might be some editing issues because of that.

It seems that the producer does want to go for Dark Victory. Most likely he will

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/dc-ani...n-dark-victory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Batman not expecting to do extensive detective work when he's going against organized crime is funny any way you put it. I understand what they were trying to do with the rookie Batman to justify him struggling with this specific murder case and needing the help of Gordon and Dent but they could've done it better. Just say he's still learning the ropes on detective work not that he never expected to do it.
    Taking into account Year One as well, Batman's war on organized crime so far has mostly involved beating the cr#p out of drug-dealers and terrorizing members of the Falcone crime family into testifying. He's had to gather intel in order to find targets and carry out his missions, but he hasn't really had to piece together evidence to solve something like the Holiday killings.

Batman has his ears to the ground and can find out which Triad hitman was seen in the vicinity of Harvey Dent's house before the bombing, and can then go and grab the guy. But that doesn't mean he has the ability to deduce who the Holliday killer is. That requires hard detective work of the kind he's so far not really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Taking into account Year One as well, Batman's war on organized crime so far has mostly involved beating the cr#p out of drug-dealers and terrorizing members of the Falcone crime family into testifying. He's had to gather intel in order to find targets and carry out his missions, but he hasn't really had to piece together evidence to solve something like the Holiday killings.

Batman has his ears to the ground and can find out which Triad hitman was seen in the vicinity of Harvey Dent's house before the bombing, and can then go and grab the guy. But that doesn't mean he has the ability to deduce who the Holliday killer is. That requires hard detective work of the kind he's so far not really needed.
    They're also (apparently) cutting Riddler out and he's one of the main villains who really makes Batman have to think and figure out stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I was. You guys think they will do Dark Victory? I think someone said it would be a great more to introduce Dick Grayson.
    Butch Lukic, the producer, said in an interview that he always planned to do Dark Victory and he's hoping they get the chance.

Whether DV or something else, I really do hope they introduce Dick Grayson as Robin in the next movie. And I think it makes sense for them to do that, given the way this new universe is shaping up. It seems to be a 'young' DCU with a bit of an old-school vibe, in terms of the animation style as well as plot elements. Man of Tomorrow was a Superman origin story. Justice Society: World War II borrowed a fair bit from Golden Age and Silver Age comics and sets up the formation of the Justice League. The classic Robin would fit this continuity perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They're also (apparently) cutting Riddler out and he's one of the main villains who really makes Batman have to think and figure out stuff.
    Yeah, that might explain a lot. If this Batman hasn't encountered Riddler yet, it makes sense that he isn't up to the task of solving the Holiday killings.

Is Riddler being excluded because of Matt Reeves' movie? I thought we were past this stupid Bat-Embargo crap

Extraordinary Member

Butch Lukic, the producer, said in an interview that he always planned to do Dark Victory and he's hoping they get the chance.

Whether DV or something else, I really do hope they introduce Dick Grayson as Robin in the next movie. And I think it makes sense for them to do that, given the way this new universe is shaping up. It seems to be a 'young' DCU with a bit of an old-school vibe, in terms of the animation style as well as plot elements. Man of Tomorrow was a Superman origin story. Justice Society: World War II borrowed a fair bit from Golden Age and Silver Age comics and sets up the formation of the Justice League. The classic Robin would fit this continuity perfectly.

Yeah, that might explain a lot. If this Batman hasn't encountered Riddler yet, it makes sense that he isn't up to the task of solving the Holiday killings.

Is Riddler being excluded because of Matt Reeves' movie? I thought we were past this stupid Bat-Embargo crap
    I think Riddler’s being cut out as part of a general trimming of a lot of stuff from the comic; pretty much the entire first issue was reduced to Johnny Vitti being shot, and most of Selina and Bruce’s interactions were removed in exchange for a very implication-heavy series fo dialogues at the end.

It’s why I’m curious about the general set-up of the second part - I don’t think we’re getting the full “run the gauntlet” of the Rogues Gallery, which could work out if they use that time to focus on the story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

How far long is Dark Victory? Like is in a few years after was?

I think if we get another Jensen Ackles Batman film, Dark Victory is probably the most likely story to tell.

Although I wonder if they'd still do it as a two-parter.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think Riddler’s being cut out as part of a general trimming of a lot of stuff from the comic; pretty much the entire first issue was reduced to Johnny Vitti being shot, and most of Selina and Bruce’s interactions were removed in exchange for a very implication-heavy series fo dialogues at the end.
    Riddler's role in the story was also not that plot relevant, so he's easy to cut out.
    It’s why I’m curious about the general set-up of the second part - I don’t think we’re getting the full “run the gauntlet” of the Rogues Gallery, which could work out if they use that time to focus on the story.
    I think they're definitely going to breeze through the villain fights.

Spectacular Member

I think Riddler was cut for several reasons. One, he is the arguably the least essential villain that appears in that story, since he never truly fights Batman and he's only in the one issue. Plus, he's the main villain in The Batman, and since both these two movies are pulling from the same source material, they likely want to distance them somewhat. Finally, like Frontier and Bat39 said, he's the one villain that Batman would need serious detective skills to stop, so removing him makes it more plausible that Bruce has put all these rogues away without being a great detective. He's still smart and quick on his feat, but he's not thinking 5 steps ahead of everyone else in the room just yet.

Wait a minute are you guys forgetting the story? How can Riddler be not essential to the plot when he was the only person to survive the Holiday killer on April's fool. Sure they can replace him with someone else but that goes for a lot of the characters that will appear on both parts.

Spectacular Member

Maybe it's less about importance and more about iconography. Loeb and Sale's versions of Scarecrow, Hatter, Ivy, etc are so iconic and have shaped their future appearances. The Riddler is just a sleazy informant, a portrayal that is out of step with the modern idea of Riddler as a terrifying sociopath and master criminal. Or, that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    Maybe it's less about importance and more about iconography. Loeb and Sale's versions of Scarecrow, Hatter, Ivy, etc are so iconic and have shaped their future appearances. The Riddler is just a sleazy informant, a portrayal that is out of step with the modern idea of Riddler as a terrifying sociopath and master criminal. Or, that's my guess.
    I would argue Loeb's scarecrow also doesn't read like modern scarecrow. And honestly Riddler never struck me as terrifying (maybe Tom King's version) he always seems to be a coward who believes he's smarter than anyone and I think Loeb depicts that even though I can see that his version seems a lot less arrogant and more submissive than he usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I would argue Loeb's scarecrow also doesn't read like modern scarecrow. And honestly Riddler never struck me as terrifying (maybe Tom King's version) he always seems to be a coward who believes he's smarter than anyone and I think Loeb depicts that even though I can see that his version seems a lot less arrogant and more submissive than he usually is.
    I don't think of Nigma as a coward. Maybe not a physical guy, but he radiates ego and self-confidence that he's smarter than anyone and anything.

LH Riddler just comes off kind of too pathetic compared to what people expect from him, which is probably why it's not a big deal for him to get cut.

Maybe he will appear in part 2. I hope of Dick does get to appear they don't make him original DAMU. The guy just wasn't good