Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Maybe he will appear in part 2. I hope of Dick does get to appear they don't make him original DAMU. The guy just wasn't good
    I assume you mean you hope they don't make him like he was in the previous DCAOM universe?

If so, I agree completely. Though to be fair, that Dick wasn't a major character. Damian was the Robin those films focused on. Dick was a supporting character at best in the Batman films, and also in the Titans films.

Dick, if they introduce him as Robin in this 'verse, will presumably have a much more significant role.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just finished this after renting it. Have to say, I really enjoyed this. The animation style took a bit to get used to, but once I did it became very engrossing. I've said before I like the bare bones aspects of TLH, but outside the art holding it up, I don't think the story comes together all that well. I was relieved to see that this was adapting the plot but not copying everything directly and throwing in its own embellishments. I liked that there is so far better telegraphing that Gilda is Holiday and that they brought in (through heavy implication) that Selina is Carmine's daughter. Since it's unlikely that Alberto's death is a fake out like in the comic, I wonder if they are planning on just revealing that it's Gilda and Harvey? Or someone else?

The voice work was solid. I really liked Ackles as Batman, and Baker does an awesome Hammil impression. The use of the Joker here was a big improvement over the comic: same basic use, but all the extra dialogue makes him seem like less of a one note caricature that the rogues often are under Loeb. It gives me hope for the villains of Part 2. It'd be a shame to get Katee Sackhoff for Poison Ivy only to have her just spout endless variations of "NO MAN CAN RESIST ME" and I pray we don't get the Scarecrow spewing random nursery rhymes just because he's cRaZy. The sneak peek showing that Harvey's mental illness is present would also strengthen his transformation into Two-Face.

Would be interested in Dark Victory even though it's a weaker story outside of the Robin stuff, but maybe since it's not as prolific of a story and they are already making changes to TLH, they could make some good ones to DV
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 06-26-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I assume you mean you hope they don't make him like he was in the previous DCAOM universe?

If so, I agree completely. Though to be fair, that Dick wasn't a major character. Damian was the Robin those films focused on. Dick was a supporting character at best in the Batman films, and also in the Titans films.

Dick, if they introduce him as Robin in this 'verse, will presumably have a much more significant role.
    True. Yes. I do hope they don't make him weak. I mean even has a side character they could have made him not look weak. I do wonder is Dark Victory a few years after TLH

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    True. Yes. I do hope they don't make him weak. I mean even has a side character they could have made him not look weak. I do wonder is Dark Victory a few years after TLH
    Dark Victory is, I think, either only the next year, or even just a few months apart from TLH: DV opens with Falcone’s burial, and recently enough that when Two-Face steals Falcone’s body, it hasn’t visibly decomposed.

I also hope we don’t get a Dick who seems as secondary as the older universe seemed to treat him… but beyond that, I’d personally love it if they dedicated a few films to being true “Batfamily” films with multiple kids and legacy characters. Like, imagine if they adopted Gates of Gotham, or No Man’s Land, or Bruce Wayne: Murderer.

All those stories were much more family oriented, and all could be fine tuned and fixed up like TLJ could be.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Dark Victory is, I think, either only the next year, or even just a few months apart from TLH: DV opens with Falcone’s burial, and recently enough that when Two-Face steals Falcone’s body, it hasn’t visibly decomposed.

I also hope we don’t get a Dick who seems as secondary as the older universe seemed to treat him… but beyond that, I’d personally love it if they dedicated a few films to being true “Batfamily” films with multiple kids and legacy characters. Like, imagine if they adopted Gates of Gotham, or No Man’s Land, or Bruce Wayne: Murderer.

All those stories were much more family oriented, and all could be fine tuned and fixed up like TLJ could be.
    Yeah...Bad Blood was probably the best of the New 52 era Batman films IMO and it had everyone (including Dick taking the role of Batman in a very Bronze Age-inspired suit).

But its something I want them to develop over a period of time, not rush into. And a full-blown Bat-family doesn't fit with the 'young' DC Universe it looks like they're having with these early films. Much like the New 52 comics, the New 52 films kinda skipped ahead to a full-blown DCU...I'd prefer the evolution to be gradual this time round.

That said, one problem I can see with evolving the Bat-family is Barbara.

spoilers:
    She's a kid of not more than 4 or 5 in TLH. I certainly don't see her becoming Batgirl for another decade or so at least, and even if they play fast and loose with the passage of time and skip ahead, I think it'll take several years before we get a Batgirl in this 'verse.
    end of spoilers

Yeah...Bad Blood was probably the best of the New 52 era Batman films IMO and it had everyone (including Dick taking the role of Batman in a very Bronze Age-inspired suit).

But its something I want them to develop over a period of time, not rush into. And a full-blown Bat-family doesn't fit with the 'young' DC Universe it looks like they're having with these early films. Much like the New 52 comics, the New 52 films kinda skipped ahead to a full-blown DCU...I'd prefer the evolution to be gradual this time round.

spoilers:
    She's a kid of not more than 4 or 5 in TLH. I certainly don't see her becoming Batgirl for another decade or so at least, and even if they play fast and loose with the passage of time and skip ahead, I think it'll take several years before we get a Batgirl in this 'verse.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah it was really odd how young they made her. Timeline wise if we are following the comics, she should be about 10-12 at this point.

Though frankly, I'm just happy they included her as not only Jim's biological daughter, but as the main focus kid. Miller's YO and TLH/DV causing the whole adoption mess and Jim Jr. getting the focus in stuff like the Dark Knight is always annoying
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The voice work was solid. I really liked Ackles as Batman, and Baker does an awesome Hammil impression. The use of the Joker here was a big improvement over the comic: same basic use, but all the extra dialogue makes him seem like less of a one note caricature that the rogues often are under Loeb. It gives me hope for the villains of Part 2. It'd be a shame to get Katee Sackhoff for Poison Ivy only to have her just spout endless variations of "NO MAN CAN RESIST ME" and I pray we don't get the Scarecrow spewing random nursery rhymes just because he's cRaZy. The sneak peek showing that Harvey's mental illness is present would also strengthen his transformation into Two-Face.
    Agreed, this was always a major nitpick with Leob's portrayal of Batman Rogues (especially Scarecrow, what the heck is with those rhymes)

Extraordinary Member

Rewatching this again, and I have to say that Titus Welliver’s Falcone is maybe the stand-out of the newcomers to the cast. He sounds like a genuinely hyper-intelligent and steel-spinesd mobster compared to the other crooks, particularly in his “board-meeting” scene.

And yeah, I think Alberto and Gilda had a thing in the past. The way they both have dialogue that significantly cites a past romance and the desire for children, and the way Alberto technically sent Gilda flowers instead of the Dents…
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Speaking of Damian, I wonder if they'd do what they did with him in the past animated films and cast as an actual kid as Dick for DV like Stuart Allan was for Damian (and he got to actually grow up with the role, more or less), although I'm not sure how practical that would be.
    One of my problems with Bad Blood was that it had too many characters and plots within one movie and the film felt kind of overstuffed. I kind of appreciated that in some respects, but I felt like Batman vs Robin was better paced and told its story more effectively because it didn't have so many other heroes or villains to balance out like Bad Blood did.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I'm expecting some time skips if only so we can get Barbara old enough to be Batgirl if they keep making Batman movies with Ackles' Batman.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah it was really odd how young they made her. Timeline wise if we are following the comics, she should be about 10-12 at this point.

Though frankly, I'm just happy they included her as not only Jim's biological daughter, but as the main focus kid. Miller's YO and TLH/DV causing the whole adoption mess and Jim Jr. getting the focus in stuff like the Dark Knight is always annoying
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It is the first time both Babs and James Jr. have been in an animated work together, I think...and also the first time an animated Babs has had freckles?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Agreed, this was always a major nitpick with Leob's portrayal of Batman Rogues (especially Scarecrow, what the heck is with those rhymes)
    I think it it's meant to indicate that he's creepy and crazy...I guess? Despite the fact that someone creepily reciting children's nursery rhymes in a horror movie is a red flag that the movie is lame and not scary at all.

The Hatter reciting Carroll quotes makes a bit more sense, but is still too limiting for the character. Loeb also does it haphazardly whereas Rucka did it much better with Alice in Elegy. And it even had a limited shelf life there.

Rewatching this again, and I have to say that Titus Welliver’s Falcone is maybe the stand-out of the newcomers to the cast. He sounds like a genuinely hyper-intelligent and steel-spinesd mobster compared to the other crooks, particularly in his “board-meeting” scene.

And yeah, I think Alberto and Gilda had a thing in the past. The way they both have dialogue that significantly cites a past romance and the desire for children, and the way Alberto technically sent Gilda flowers instead of the Dents…
    Agreed on Welliver, and that link between Alberto and Gilda didn't occur to me but is a neat idea I hope ends up being true.

Rewatched the movie and they're definitely setting up a surprising twist that will make it totally different from the comic.

spoilers:
    Notice when the nurse mentions that Falcone sent flowers Gilda gets all nervous and pockets the conversation. I believe she reacts this way because Alberto Falcone and her had a relationship in the past. He even mentions falling in love with a girl but giving up on her because his father disapproved. I think the girl is Gilda and they're working together on the murders.
    end of spoilers

Haven't seen anyone noticing it but I'm almost 100% sure that's where they going wit it.
    Last edited by Micael; 06-27-2021 at 11:06 AM.

I think it it's meant to indicate that he's creepy and crazy...I guess? Despite the fact that someone creepily reciting children's nursery rhymes in a horror movie is a red flag that the movie is lame and not scary at all.
    I think it's all in the delivery. I guess maybe it's Crane trying to portray Scarecrow as this primeval force of fear that haunts your dreams in a lyrical way? Maybe?
    The Hatter reciting Carroll quotes makes a bit more sense, but is still too limiting for the character. Loeb also does it haphazardly whereas Rucka did it much better with Alice in Elegy. And it even had a limited shelf life there.
    Well, better that than Hatter in YJ where he's basically just some guy who uses hats or tech to control people.

Extraordinary Member

Hatter’s always interesting, because “uses hats or tech to control people” is a pretty popular version of the character, even if sometimes opposed by “Dude who really fixates on a Lewis Carrol story.” I mean, usually, they’re combined, but most of Hatter’s BTAS, Arkham and other Dini-penned appearances tended to treat the Carrol thing as fun flavoring rather than the main course.

Personally, I prefer a somewhat more lucid Tetch. He’s more formidable that way… like in Young Justice…

(Personally, my let peeves with YJ Bat villains are much more on Riddler being a bucked-tooth hipster, and Bane being jobbed out to Mammoth in his first appearance.)
    Last edited by godisawesome; 06-27-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's all in the delivery. I guess maybe it's Crane trying to portray Scarecrow as this primeval force of fear that haunts your dreams in a lyrical way? Maybe
    That's being awfully generous to Loeb. I don't think it goes much beyond "crazy people say random things, isn't this sooooo creepy??"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, better that than Hatter in YJ where he's basically just some guy who uses hats or tech to control people.
    I'm drawing a blank on YJ Hatter, if I saw him I don't really remember him. All the Bat-villains in YJ were fairly unremarkable though, so this checks.

I'd rather not have either though. Dini/BTAS Hatter reigns supreme. I liked Morrison's use of the Hatter in Arkham Asylum, but that one is too icky to be much use on a regular basis.

Hatter’s always interesting, because “uses hats or tech to control people” is a pretty popular version of the character, even if sometimes opposed by “Dude who really fixates on a Lewis Carrol story.” I mean, usually, they’re combined, but most of Hatter’s BTAS, Arkham and other Dini-penned appearances tended to treat the Carrol thing as fun flavoring rather than the main course.

Personally, I prefer a somewhat more lucid Tetch. He’s more formidable that way… like in Young Justice…
    I think if you're going to call yourself the "Mad Hatter" then there should be some expectation of a little lyrical whimsy in your persona.
    (Personally, my let peeves with YJ Bat villains are much more on Riddler being a bucket other hipster, and Bane being jobbed out to Mammoth in his first appearance.)
    It's hard for me to believe that they got David Franco to play Riddler. Although Bane got a good Outsiders appearance (kind of out of nowhere, but still).
    I'm drawing a blank on YJ Hatter, if I saw him I don't really remember him. All the Bat-villains in YJ were fairly unremarkable though, so this checks.
    It was a waste of Dwight Schultz.