Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

All I know is this - it was, at best and as I feared, "alright." It wasn't great, it should never be considered a classic Batman movie, just decent, and like I said for an adaptation of my favorite Batman story of all time "alright" was never not going to be kind of disappointing for me. I'll always look at Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, and Year One's animated adaptations, then look at my Long Halloween paperback, and wonder why I couldn't have gotten an adaptation of it on that level. It wasn't bad, it was even downright good in places, but what it could've been... I'd give anything for this to have been made a decade ago where it had a solid shot at actual greatness. But I'll have to forever settle for what we got because it'll never get another shot. We could have had something truly great, we could have had a classic, but I have to settle for something that's not. It's "good" and everyone else seems to think that just being good is all it ever deserved. To each, as always, their own. I actually do like it, but like isn't love, and to never get to love an adaptation of your favorite story? Tell me it shouldn't sting just a little.

Again, ten years ago or maybe ten years from now, but this was clearly not the time or the team to do it actual justice.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-23-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    All I know is this - it was, at best and as I feared, "alright." It wasn't great, it should never be considered a classic Batman movie, just decent, and like I said for an adaptation of my favorite Batman story of all time "alright" was never not going to be kind of disappointing for me. I'll always look at Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, and Year One's animated adaptations, then look at my Long Halloween paperback, and wonder why I couldn't have gotten an adaptation of it on that level. It wasn't bad, it was even downright good in places, but what it could've been... I'd give anything for this to have been made a decade ago where it had a solid shot at actual greatness. But I'll have to forever settle for what we got because it'll never get another shot. We could have had something truly great, we could have had a classic, but I have to settle for something that's not. It's "good" and everyone else seems to think that just being good is all it ever deserved. To each, as always, their own. I actually do like it, but like isn't love, and to never get to love an adaptation of your favorite story? Tell me it shouldn't sting just a little.

Again, ten years ago or maybe ten years from now, but this was clearly not the time or the team to do it actual justice.
    Sorry you didn't care for it. What didn't you enjoy?

Incredible Member

For me after some fairly ridiculous animated Batman treatments, we had a consistent,
    thoughtful story. It wasn't a bad story, but afterwards, it seemed worth the cash
    spent on ppv.

I won't give away the plot to those who have not viewed it yet, but there are
    some things you would imagine Batman would figure out. It was nice to
    see Catwoman this way as an equal partner. Jim Gordon also had a nice arc.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    spoilers:
    I'd say injured Gilda in the comic unhooking herself from her hospital bed to get past sleeping Harvey and all the hospital staff, kill a roomful of armed thugs, and sneaking back without anyone noticing like she did in the book is much harder to swallow
    end of spoilers
    *Raise an eyebrow*
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    *Raise an eyebrow*
    spoilers:
    There is also the fact that Harvey and Gilda are inside the house when it gets completely blown up, and then they're fine lol
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Sorry you didn't care for it. What didn't you enjoy?
    It's not that I didn't care for it, like I said it was "alright", but "alright" is basically damning with faint praise when adapting an outright classic. As for what I didn't enjoy? Still not a fan of their new shared universe super-flat art style, certain changes made to the story fell flat to me, some of the decisions on what to include and what to leave out. A lot of little things, but all in all, together they took what should've been "great" and just brought it down to "okay". I feel like a lot of people are just happy that it was good/okay after a bunch of actual bad films during the new-52 inspired era, but for me, for my favorite Batman story, good isn't good enough. Also the way a lot of people talk about it here, this feels like the perfect movie for Batman fans who were never fans of TLH, not so much for fans of that storyline.

Spectacular Member

It's not that I didn't care for it, like I said it was "alright", but "alright" is basically damning with faint praise when adapting an outright classic. As for what I didn't enjoy? Still not a fan of their new shared universe super-flat art style, certain changes made to the story fell flat to me, some of the decisions on what to include and what to leave out. A lot of little things, but all in all, together they took what should've been "great" and just brought it down to "okay". I feel like a lot of people are just happy that it was good/okay after a bunch of actual bad films during the new-52 inspired era, but for me, for my favorite Batman story, good isn't good enough. Also the way a lot of people talk about it here, this feels like the perfect movie for Batman fans who were never fans of TLH, not so much for fans of that storyline.
    I asked out of curiosity - I love TLH, and I was reticent going in (how could they adapt it?), but I loved the results. The story as written in the comic wouldn't work in the screen, so alterations were necessary. Are there things I would change? Yes, but they are minor tweaks. The biggest change from the source material, the simplification of the mystery, worked wonders for me onscreen.

I will say I like this artstyle quite a bit, whereas I didn't like the previous line's artstyle. I'm also not sure Tim Sale's designs could have truly worked for a full-length feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    I asked out of curiosity - I love TLH, and I was reticent going in (how could they adapt it?), but I loved the results. The story as written in the comic wouldn't work in the screen, so alterations were necessary. Are there things I would change? Yes, but they are minor tweaks. The biggest change from the source material, the simplification of the mystery, worked wonders for me onscreen.

I will say I like this artstyle quite a bit, whereas I didn't like the previous line's artstyle. I'm also not sure Tim Sale's designs could have truly worked for a full-length feature.
    While I'll agree that alterations were necessary, I can't say the alterations made here, in my opinion, were good nor the alterations needed. I just...liked the result, and mostly that's just for part two, part one largely felt mediocre and uninteresting as hell. I think they could've simplified the mystery while still doing better than what we got. Did it work? Yes, I've said so. But that's all it really did, work. It didn't satisfy, not in the way it should have. Wonders on screen it was not, not for me at any rate. For me it'll forever go down as "just fine" and that's never going to be a good thing when talking about something based on something actually great.

And we'll just have to agree to disagree - while I wouldn't have wanted to see it here either, I think the last universe's art style was head shoulders and even ankles above this new art style. The super flat style just falls flat with me, pun intended.

I'm curious if they will go through with Dark Victory most likely with how positive it is

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious if they will go through with Dark Victory most likely with how positive it is
    The movie is selling very well, so Tim Sheridan tweeted:

"Well well well…lookee what we have here…top seller, you say? #1 Blu-ray, is it? 85% market share, would we? Voting with your wallets, I see.�� Well played and thank you kindly for voting"

There's an implication of some sort of "you buy if you want more" to "voting with your wallets", which could be a nod to Dark Victory. I don't think there are any concrete plans yet, but it's a distinct possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    ...how? They killed off DV's villain.

I mean the producer wants to do DV. So who knows if they will just have him come back or have someone else will replace him with someone else

Incredible Member

I'm not sure what they wanted DC fans to do when the films came out?
    Not watch it. I don't think much of a choice about that, unless
    we were doing some mass boycott. I'm not sure how much we
    can read into sales figures.

I'm really curious to see how they'd tackle it now.

Spectacular Member

Did they? I may have missed something, but if I'm remembering correctly, DV's villain meets the same fate here as they do in the original TLH comic.

spoilers:
    Sofia falls from a window, yes, but she also did that in the comic. She is crippled but survives the fall.
    end of spoilers