Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm really curious to see how they'd tackle it now.
    I'm not. On the other hand, I also don't care. I'm not attached to Dark Victory. The Long Halloween was my favorite story, and they've already disappointed me on that front. It doesn't matter if they do DV great or if it's a piece of **** really, both are kind of the same for me on that front. That said, it'd be damn shame to me if that story winds up with the superior adaptation, but eh, to each their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    Did they? I may have missed something, but if I'm remembering correctly, DV's villain meets the same fate here as they do in the original TLH comic.

spoilers:
    Sofia falls from a window, yes, but she also did that in the comic. She is crippled but survives the fall.
    end of spoilers
    Maybe - looked dead to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm not. On the other hand, I also don't care. I'm not attached to Dark Victory. The Long Halloween was my favorite story, and they've already disappointed me on that front. It doesn't matter if they do DV great or if it's a piece of **** really, both are kind of the same for me on that front. That said, it'd be damn shame to me if that story winds up with the superior adaptation, but eh, to each their own.
    I actually enjoyed DV more and I'm kind of morbidly curious how they'll approach it given their take on LH. Maybe shift it to focus more on just Batman and Robin coming together than another murder mystery.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Bruce and Dick stuff was the only thing DV really had going for it, so if they wanted to do an in-name-only sequel (or just drop the name if it deviates too much) and focus mostly on the Batman and Robin vs. the rogues gallery and drop the mob/mystery stuff, I'd be down.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The Bruce and Dick stuff was the only thing DV really had going for it, so if they wanted to do an in-name-only sequel (or just drop the name if it deviates too much) and focus mostly on the Batman and Robin vs. the rogues gallery and drop the mob/mystery stuff, I'd be down.
    I also don't think the appeal of seeing a lot of the corrupt police from Year One get offed would work as well without having seen them in Year One (conversely Carmine Falcone and his family is a more established part of the mythos at this point so it works here).

You could probably keep the mystery of what Two-Face is doing and the new DA at the very least.

Extraordinary Member

Sofia seemed just as dead in the comic as she does at the end of the film - so if they wanted to do DV, they could have her return there as well.

I’ll be honest - the way I’d fill out DV a little more would be to incorporate even more When In Rome material, and maybe have the corrupt cops elements include some real world context.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Sofia seemed just as dead in the comic as she does at the end of the film - so if they wanted to do DV, they could have her return there as well.

I’ll be honest - the way I’d fill out DV a little more would be to incorporate even more When In Rome material, and maybe have the corrupt cops elements include some real world context.
    Since they pretty much ended the Long Halloween part 2 with Selina and Bruce together I'm sure they'll incorporate a couple of original scenes with them both.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Since they pretty much ended the Long Halloween part 2 with Selina and Bruce together I'm sure they'll incorporate a couple of original scenes with them both.
    The When In Rome always felt to me like to introduced a fascinating possible antagonist in Louisa Falcone, while the film had her name dropped, albeit without confirmation as to whether she was the mother of Carmine’s other children in this universe. Have her return with Sofia, and you might be able to better tie both stories together for Catwoman as a Deuteragonist.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I kind of wonder what they'll do with Selina after Naya Rivera's death. Off-screen breakup so Bruce can be looking for a new partner?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

This is true about the comic - we don't find out that Sofia survived until DV, in the comic she just plunges to what seems an endless fall off a skyscraper.

As for When in Rome, could be a nice idea - I don't really care for Catwoman, but I enjoyed her in this.

I actually enjoyed DV more and I'm kind of morbidly curious how they'll approach it given their take on LH. Maybe shift it to focus more on just Batman and Robin coming together than another murder mystery.
    I'm aware of that. Different strokes for different folks. I just....wanted an experience closer to what we got with Dark Knight Returns and Year One, and instead it was more like what happened with Hush or Batman vs Robin or any other adaptation made to fit into the animated cinematic universe, albeit this one was much, much better than anything that came out of that previous universe, it still was just...so-so. Best Batman story in existence for my money, made into an alright so-so story. Again, just my opinion and tastes but still...for the only animated adaptation of this I'll ever get, there's no way I'll never be disappointed that it wasn't a great instant super classic like it could've been.

I'm aware of that. Different strokes for different folks. I just....wanted an experience closer to what we got with Dark Knight Returns and Year One, and instead it was more like what happened with Hush or Batman vs Robin or any other adaptation made to fit into the animated cinematic universe, albeit this one was much, much better than anything that came out of that previous universe, it still was just...so-so. Best Batman story in existence for my money, made into an alright so-so story. Again, just my opinion and tastes but still...for the only animated adaptation of this I'll ever get, there's no way I'll never be disappointed that it wasn't a great instant super classic like it could've been.
    Hush had a lot of issues although I think BvR was actually one of the better of the Batman films (even if I don't see it as a straight Court of Owls adaption).

Hush had a lot of issues although I think BvR was actually one of the better of the Batman films (even if I don't see it as a straight Court of Owls adaption).
    Point is, like TLH they differ a lot from the source material, and none of them are great or spectacular.

Point is, like TLH they differ a lot from the source material, and none of them are great or spectacular.
    Well, TLH is the only one that advertises itself as an adaption and in that sense it is one even if it's not a one-to-one adaption.

Extraordinary Member

UTRH differs a *lot* from the source material, as does Gotham By Gaslight. Both are better than their inspirations.

And if you didn’t have some way to capture the full essence of Sale’s art and kept Loeb’s story, you’d just have a lackluster and overhyped story.

Well, TLH is the only one that advertises itself as an adaption and in that sense it is one even if it's not a one-to-one adaption.
    The others don't advertise themselves as an adaptation? Hush, the film named after and clearly based on the story Hush, isn't advertised as an adaptation? And therefore doesn't in that sense count as an adaptation, but TLH does? It's the only one that does?

Also...so? What does that have to do with my point? My point wasn't that it wasn't an adaptation, or that other movies were or weren't adaptations. My point was it strayed a lot from the source material, that it wasn't great or spectacular in any way.