Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It is to me. I lost all trust in WB/DC DTV animated division regarding shared continuity they did it so bad. You don't just earn my trust back by getting a new team and shouting "Do over!"
    The last go of an animated universe burned me. It burned me bad. I can't just put blind hope in them anymore to churn out a good project once the word "universe" comes into play.
    I feel that way regarding Marvel Animations animated continuity, but I enjoyed more DC Animated films than Marvel cartoons within their continuity, so I guess I didn't mind it that much.

I don't feel like it's a do over, though, just a new take. I don't think you should blindly hope moreso just take each film individually as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel that way regarding Marvel Animations animated continuity, but I enjoyed more DC Animated films than Marvel cartoons within their continuity, so I guess I didn't mind it that much.

I don't feel like it's a do over, though, just a new take. I don't think you should blindly hope moreso just take each film individually as they are.
    I minded it. I minded it very much so.

And it's a do over. I don't really see how it's not. Maybe this new team won't suck at it like the previous team did. Maybe they won't make a universe I hate so much that I stop looking forward to just the one film a year that's out of continuity. Maybe. But I just can't help but think...God I wish this wasn't part of some shared continuity.
    I'd be so much more confident in their ability to do it well if this was standalone. And you know that "it can be standalone and in a shared universe" thing means nothing to me after the last DCAMU.

I minded it. I minded it very much so.

And it's a do over. I don't really see how it's not. Maybe this new team won't suck at it like the previous team did. Maybe they won't make a universe I hate so much that I stop looking forward to just the one film a year that's out of continuity. Maybe. But I just can't help but think...God I wish this wasn't part of some shared continuity.
    I'd be so much more confident in their ability to do it well if this was standalone. And you know that "it can be standalone and in a shared universe" thing means nothing to me after the last DCAMU.
    I mean, I guess it's a "do over" in the sense that their starting out with origin films but it doesn't seem like they're interested in repeating the same beats or handling the stories/characters the same way.

I just feel like you're overfocusing on a possible shared universe aspect with these films. I get that you didn't enjoy the Tucker era or those films (I personally grew to enjoy it a lot) but I feel like that shouldn't be used to judge the Lukic era so early into it.

Astonishing Member

I swear there was a Superman reference in at least Dark Victory or late into Long Halloween.
    There might have been. Hell, there was a Superman reference in Year One! The point is that such minor references aside, the wider DCU wasn't a factor at all in these stories. They were pretty strictly confined to the Batman mythos.

That's up to you if you wanted to headcanon it that way, but there was absolutely nothing about those films at all to suggest that they shared continuity. I never believed that they did.
    Agreed. It is headcanon on my part. Though many of those films had the same voice cast so you could argue they're kinda officially part of the same universe.

The real difference is that these were all standalone movies, regardless of whether or not they were set in the same universe. The ''shared universe'' concept only really becomes a factor if the movies go out of their way to include references to other movies. But it is possible to have movies set in the same universe/continuity that exist independently, albeit without contradicting each other.

Hell, a lot of the time, the DCU operates this way in the comics, in practise. If you wanna go strictly by the chronology of the Post-COIE DCU, Batman had not only met Superman but was probably already a Justice League member by the time of TLH...but that has zero relevance to TLH, which is a noir-driven story with nary a 'superhero' in sight!

I mean, I guess it's a "do over" in the sense that their starting out with origin films but it doesn't seem like they're interested in repeating the same beats or handling the stories/characters the same way.

I just feel like you're overfocusing on a possible shared universe aspect with these films. I get that you didn't enjoy the Tucker era or those films (I personally grew to enjoy it a lot) but I feel like that shouldn't be used to judge the Lukic era so early into it.
    I've no reason to trust the new team just yet. My last outing with a DCAMU sucked, I think it just makes sense that I'd be apprehensive when I'm told DC's doing it again. Maybe if we were several films in with standalone films from these guys I'd be more like "Yeah, I trust them to do a new universe." But we aren't, and I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Agreed. It is headcanon on my part. Though many of those films had the same voice cast so you could argue they're kinda officially part of the same universe.

The real difference is that these were all standalone movies, regardless of whether or not they were set in the same universe. The ''shared universe'' concept only really becomes a factor if the movies go out of their way to include references to other movies. But it is possible to have movies set in the same universe/continuity that exist independently, albeit without contradicting each other.

Hell, a lot of the time, the DCU operates this way in the comics, in practise. If you wanna go strictly by the chronology of the Post-COIE DCU, Batman had not only met Superman but was probably already a Justice League member by the time of TLH...but that has zero relevance to TLH, which is a noir-driven story with nary a 'superhero' in sight!
    True, you're right - but that's the comic books. It hasn't been pulled off in movies yet. The MCU, DCEU, and (former) DCAMU haven't operated that way. So while it's possible, it isn't common or expected. If it was more like the books, which can be insular and yet part of the greater universe, that'd be fine. But I haven't seen it done yet. And the fact that unlike the books they can't even vary the art style to what works best for the story and instead share the same style throughout doesn't help convey that they'll allow them to be more standalone.

Basically, it's a wait and see thing. Until it's out and they prove otherwise, my experiences thus far with the DCAMU tells me to be worried about their shared universe entries.

But, I do wish they prove me wrong. It's something the Tucker crew never did.

Was just coming to post this. It looks super good!!! Any idea when the blu ray drops?

Astonishing Member

Trailer is lit!

spoilers:
    It seems clear from this that Harvey Dent's transition into Two Face will be a focal point of the adaptation. Which makes perfect sense.

Part One seems relatively light on rogues - other than Joker, Catwoman, Solomon Grudny and Calendar Man. Of course we have Holiday and the Falcone family too. Also, is that Lex Luthor I spot in one scene?

Who's the woman Bruce says he wants to start a family with? Selina? If so, their relationship is on a very different track from what I remember from the original TLH story.

Alfred looks pretty old for a Year One era story...with grey temples and grey moustache. Interesting artistic choice. Gordon is in full Year One glory with his red hair and moustache.
    end of spoilers

Overall, it captures the spirit of the original story well. I think it'll be a better adaptation than the Hush movie (which I admittedly enjoyed, but which was pretty different from the original story).

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    spoilers:
    Who's the woman Bruce says he wants to start a family with? Selina? If so, their relationship is on a very different track from what I remember from the original TLH story.
    end of spoilers

Overall, it captures the spirit of the original story well. I think it'll be a better adaptation than the Hush movie (which I admittedly enjoyed, but which was pretty different from the original story).
    spoilers:
    That's Harvey talking to Gilda.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    That's Harvey talking to Gilda.
    end of spoilers
    Damn! I missed the hair color

I mean with how similar the artstyles are this might be shared. However, Superman was an origin story and Diana's story takes place in the past. So even if the Long Halloween is in the same universe they still can work has standalone.Woman:Bloodlines and the Batman movies while in the shared Universe. Still worked has a standalone.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-06-2021 at 12:56 PM.

Man, I forget sometimes how much Falcone is just a ripped off Brando from The Godfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Man, I forget sometimes how much Falcone is just a ripped off Brando from The Godfather.
    Well, if you're going to be a tribute to the mafia, you may as well go with the best .

I'd still have preferred a different art-style - I just don't feel the bold line style, I don't like it. But I don't dislike it either. More indifferent to it I guess. I'd much rather prefer something closer to the comic book, or something more like the Year One more, or...something else. On the other hand, it could be worse. It's not bad, so eh.

Outside my art nitpick, it looks okay. It looks good. But then, so does the trailer for every DC movie ever. Even the bad ones. Even the real bad ones. I liked the trailer for The Killing Joke, a that movie was a turd on ice. But there's no red flags here. What little we see is faithful to the comic book as far as I can tell. Still not sure how I feel about the voices just yet, like most of these new projects I got to give it a moment for my brain to reset on what Batman/Catwoman are supposed to sound like. But it seems like Jensen Ackles is trying out his own Batvoice instead of just sounding like Red Hood as Batman, so that's great.

Honestly? This trailer should get me excited, normally I'd be hyped as **** for this. But with DC Animation's recent history, the best I can currently drum forth is "it doesn't look like they fucked it up...yet." But you know what? I'll take it. That's a victory. It looks like they didn't **** it up, at least from what is shown in one minute and a half trailer.