Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Everett Thomas: Synch Appreciation 2021

Everett Thomas: Synch Appreciation 2021

Synch's Wikia page for who's interested Everett Thomas

Everett Thomas: Synch Appreciation 2020

It is been a good two months for Synch, Lets hope that leads to big year
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-01-2021 at 02:10 AM.

Okay that enough for now

Ev has been my favorite mutant ever since his debut and I hope 2021 is a breakout year for him. The last 2 issues of X-Men has really made me feel like Synch has a big role to play and hopefully that is indeed the case.

The man needs some respect on his name after X-Men #19.

Can't wait to see him leading his own team again.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

I never heard from Everett because Generation X predated me. Any recommendations for key stories from him? I really liked his appearances in X-Men.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

As of yesterday's X-Men 19, I officially appreciate Synch. Hickman made me fall in love with him in a way Lobdell never did.

The character I'm keeping an eye on. Quickly becoming a fave. Fan art imminent.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I never heard from Everett because Generation X predated me. Any recommendations for key stories from him? I really liked his appearances in X-Men.
    It has been forever since I have read Gen-X, I am trying to think of the stand out stories with Synch. I will go look for the specific issues but for now I will say he is more of case of missed potential than truly great collection of great stories with him in it. Hickman brought the potential in these two recent issues. Now the wait begins and we have to hope between Way of X, X-corps and X-men he shows up in a book.

I don't know about anyone else but I need more rainbow color powers on display

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I need more rainbow color powers on display
    YES! for sure!!!

Astonishing Member

Feels to me like they never brought Synch back.
    What they did was to take his name, appearance and power and slap a new character on it. Especialy since they never bothered to properly re-establish the character for a newer readership (after 20 years of being dead) before sending him into the vault and redefining his character entirely around having spend 100 years in the Vault. Which is the core of this new character, since it outweights his previous 16 or so years of "human" backstory and his time in Generation X. His lines at the end even seems to imply that he sees his life before the Vault mission as less important than what he is now.

So what does this do for the character, beyond some fancy displays of power and implied upgrade in skill? What does it add to the original Synch rather than replacing with something new entirely? What's left of the original personality, objective in life and history now that they are devalued by his new take?

He is now much more tied to the time in the Vault, which is a singular location cut-off from the actual world of the Marvel Universe, connected to a singular group of villains who are at a likely risk to be forgotten or ignored once the Hickman run ends, for being so issolated and insignificant to the lore of the Marvel universe, that it won't do the character any good in the future when the stories shift back again.

This is Moira MacTaggert all over again, they take a long dead character and redefine them so much that they are unrecognizable from the original. A recycling of the character rather than a revival.

If people find this New Synch much better or interesting that's fine, but i can't see them as the same character anymore. These are now two versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Ev was kinda the heart of the group. The stable, mature one who is a good friend to everyone. I remember Banshee thinking that in an early Gen-X comics already. As such, you have Ev moments all along early Gen-X. I would recommend reading the whole run until a Pooka shows up.
    But Ev stories I remember:

Uncanny-X-men : Phalanx covenant & the opening arc of Gen-X: The character first appearance, the start of his friendship with Jubilee and the foundation of the team.
    Ev & Jubilee against Marrow & Gene Nation (Gen-X 5-6): First hint of his true potential.
    Possesed by Emplate (Gen-X 15-16): We get to know his family. To my knowledge, first depiction in a X-men comic of the police being racist not towards mutants, but black people. The limits of his powers get stablished (to be forever ignored, lol).
    Gen X 29-31: His powers expanding, he is able to feel what M really is. (M was, at this point, still a Gestalt being).
    Gen X 39-40: A controversial story. Two local racist punks from the town near the academy had they car crashed by a spaceship in Gen-x related shenanigans, so as a retaliation, they beat up Synch to a comma. When he wakes up, he gives them all his savings to help them fix their car, to "close the circle of hatred". I do not think this one aged well.

The tail end of Gen-X is not that good, but you can find there the relationship between M & Synch.
    He dies in Gen-X 70.

I really recommend Gen-X, at least while Bachalo is drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Ev was kinda the heart of the group. The stable, mature one who is a good friend to everyone. I remember Banshee thinking that in an early Gen-X comics already. As such, you have Ev moments all along early Gen-X. I would recommend reading the whole run until a Pooka shows up.
    But Ev stories I remember:

Uncanny-X-men : Phalanx covenant & the opening arc of Gen-X: The character first appearance, the start of his friendship with Jubilee and the foundation of the team.
    Ev & Jubilee against Marrow & Gene Nation (Gen-X 5-6): First hint of his true potential.
    Possesed by Emplate (Gen-X 15-16): We get to know his family. To my knowledge, first depiction in a X-men comic of the police being racist not towards mutants, but black people. The limits of his powers get stablished (to be forever ignored, lol).
    Gen X 29-31: His powers expanding, he is able to feel what M really is. (M was, at this point, still a Gestalt being).
    Gen X 39-40: A controversial story. Two local racist punks from the town near the academy had they car crashed by a spaceship in Gen-x related shenanigans, so as a retaliation, they beat up Synch to a comma. When he wakes up, he gives them all his savings to help them fix their car, to "close the circle of hatred". I do not think this one aged well.

The tail end of Gen-X is not that good, but you can find there the relationship between M & Synch.
    He dies in Gen-X 70.

I really recommend Gen-X, at least while Bachalo is drawing.
    great list.. thank you

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Definitely holding on to hope that he'll be on the new X-mean team due to his work in the vault!