Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Ev definitely had a strong presence in issue 1, no doubt about that. I think the real test is will he still have one in issue 2...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I dunno. I still kind of think that writers gravitate towards the characters they personally relate to or like the most. There may be a push from editorial or whatever to include this or that character in a lineup, but if the writer isn't all that into it, that character ends up being slighted with only an occasional little bone thrown his or her way. While I have high hopes for Ev in X-Men, I've seen the same kind of story of someone becoming basically underutilized wallpaper play out for POC characters, especially black men.
    Perhaps but it bears considering that there was a marked difference in how Duggan handled and wrote Bishop versus how he wrote Everett. Its night and day.

Ev definitely had a strong presence in issue 1, no doubt about that. I think the real test is will he still have one in issue 2...
    That's the key. Consistently portraying Ev in this manner instead of it being one of those rare occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Perhaps but it bears considering that there was a marked difference in how Duggan handled and wrote Bishop versus how he wrote Everett. Its night and day.
    Straight facts bro. It's actually really hard to believe it's the same writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Let's see how long Duggan writes Ev like this.

Extraordinary Member

I dunno. I still kind of think that writers gravitate towards the characters they personally relate to or like the most. There may be a push from editorial or whatever to include this or that character in a lineup, but if the writer isn't all that into it, that character ends up being slighted with only an occasional little bone thrown his or her way. While I have high hopes for Ev in X-Men, I've seen the same kind of story of someone becoming basically underutilized wallpaper play out for POC characters, especially black men.
    I hear you. But what does that say about writers being paid to work on a book about bigotry & racism?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Based on issue 1 Sunfire seems more in danger of that than Synch.
    Yet, I bet that same writer loves him some Emma. Similar writers would be thrilled to write Namor.

Yet, folks get writer's block for Shiro.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Fellas, Jason Aaron has the same history with Black Panther.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-26-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Fellas, Jason Aaron has the same history with Black Panther.
    That's a good point. I'm a lifelong Avengers reader and Aaron's Avengers run is absolutely terrible as an Avengers book but the man is damn sure putting much respect on T'Challa's name.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Let's see how long Duggan writes Ev like this.
    Assuming that the writer has some intention ever of spending some time on Shiro or Lorna or anyone else, they're almost going to *have* to put less focus on Evan in a few upcoming issues, but I'm hoping this isn't it for six months or so, and as close to a 'focus on Evan' as they're are planning to get.

That's a good point. I'm a lifelong Avengers reader and Aaron's Avengers run is absolutely terrible as an Avengers book but the man is damn sure putting much respect on T'Challa's name.
    As he ought to! Dude got much penance to pay for what he did to T'Challa in AvX. Aaron was dead to me after that mess. If Duggan does a heel turn on Everett after how #1 started.....There Will be Blood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Assuming that the writer has some intention ever of spending some time on Shiro or Lorna or anyone else, they're almost going to *have* to put less focus on Evan in a few upcoming issues, but I'm hoping this isn't it for six months or so, and as close to a 'focus on Evan' as they're are planning to get.
    I don't think it has to be an either or situation with one getting focus at the expense of the other. Everyone should get the chance to shine in a team book setting. I don't think that Ev has to steal the show but I do want him to have a meaningful purpose for being on the team and not just some throwaway character on the team(like Bishop, Pyro and Bobby are on Marauders).

I don't want Ev getting more time than anyone else, I just don't want him getting less.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Duggan: “The outline is done and dusted, and every member of the team is going to have their issue not just to be the coolest mutant, but the most important character in the Marvel Universe for one month. Can't wait for you to join us. Hope you survive the experience."

I'm stoked.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Duggan: “The outline is done and dusted, and every member of the team is going to have their issue not just to be the coolest mutant, but the most important character in the Marvel Universe for one month. Can't wait for you to join us. Hope you survive the experience."

I'm stoked.
    Hmmmm, make this book bi-monthly and we get 2 issues of Everett bossin'

I'm stoked.
    This got me excited. Where is this quote from?
    Mutant and Proud!

I'm stoked.
    Definitely cool to read though I do have to wonder was issue #1 that for Synch.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    This got me excited. Where is this quote from?
    It was from an interview just after the announcement of the X-Men at the Gala. It got picked up in a few articles:
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...en-vote-winner
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!