Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Indeed!

Starting to not like that uniform though.
    It is very much just a new generation of training uniform in vibe.

Has Synch ever had an individualized design outside of the Hellfire Gala?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It is very much just a new generation of training uniform in vibe.

Has Synch ever had an individualized design outside of the Hellfire Gala?
    Not yet. Would love to see him in these colors and some white.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Am I the only one who wants Ev to be a little older physically? At least 21-22.

And as a reflection of his maturity, would it hurt to give him a new codename and uniform? It's not that I hate the name "Synch", it just doesn't hit the same now like it did back in 1990 for me. Plus, he's just not that kid from the block any longer.

"Synch" feels like one of those nicknames that a person outgrows. Maybe family and close friends who knew you back when use it, but rarely, and certainly no one outside of your circle uses it. Like my friend, whom we used to call "Bumba" back when we were young. But he's grown now. Gone through some things. Seen some things. War changed him quite a bit. His faith changed him even more. You can't call him Bumba now. He answers to Dr. Ayers, Reverend Ayers or Cornel Ayers. But don't call him Bumba. Not if you want him to respond.

Anyway, it's great having Everett back. I'm really looking forward to seeing him take that next step and come into his own, i.e., a gentleman's gentleman, a man amongst men, primus inter pares, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

And as a reflection of his maturity, would it hurt to give him a new codename and uniform? It's not that I hate the name "Synch", it just doesn't hit the same now like it did back in 1990 for me. Plus, he's just not that kid from the block any longer.

"Synch" feels like one of those nicknames that a person outgrows. Maybe family and close friends who knew you back when use it, but rarely, and certainly no one outside of your circle uses it. Like my friend, whom we used to call "Bumba" back when we were young. But he's grown now. Gone through some things. Seen some things. War changed him quite a bit. His faith changed him even more. You can't call him Bumba now. He answers to Dr. Ayers, Reverend Ayers or Cornel Ayers. But don't call him Bumba. Not if you want him to respond.

Anyway, it's great having Everett back. I'm really looking forward to seeing him take that next step and come into his own, i.e., a gentleman's gentleman, a man amongst men, primus inter pares, etc, etc.
    Unless we just start calling him Ev, I don't know what other codename to give him that's somewhat related to his abilities.

I do agree with the costume change though.

New codenames have a weird habit of...not sticking.

I quite like "Synch". It's not overly complicated (hence easy to call out in battle), it describes his abilities, and...well...it's his.

I quite like "Synch". It's not overly complicated (hence easy to call out in battle), it describes his abilities, and...well...it's his.
    I like "Synch" as well and I like how it looks on the printed page. I'd vote to keep it.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Synch is an awesome codename. Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.

The big question is when the hell are Marvel gonna make Legendary cards for Synch and Sunfire?! Then and only then will I be able to run a game with the new X-Men team, as Jesus clearly intended.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

It would be a bold move, not a bad one though. Would you also like to see them play in to the old soul that he should be with having lived over 100 yrs developing and growing into a more hardened man? I feel there's so much depth that could transcend the focus of his power set. If only X-Men had writers that weren't hung up on their palm of the hand people.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Going by that DoX teaser poster it looks like Ev is still in play. I really hope they don't mess with X-Men's line-up or creative team as I think it's perfect as is.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    It would be a bold move, not a bad one though. Would you also like to see them play in to the old soul that he should be with having lived over 100 yrs developing and growing into a more hardened man? I feel there's so much depth that could transcend the focus of his power set. If only X-Men had writers that weren't hung up on their palm of the hand people.
    Love the idea of digging into his old soul. I'd also like to see him with Angelo in quieter, bonding moments.
    Nice avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Going by that DoX teaser poster it looks like Ev is still in play. I really hope they don't mess with X-Men's line-up or creative team as I think it's perfect as is.
    I agree completely. I'd like X-Men to stay as it is for now.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I wish as part of his dealing with dying so young and and then living for several several years but locked in the vault Synch develops more devil-may-care attitude. I mean his life was cut short In the OG Gen X run he was brought back only to spend a huuuge chunk of time isolated and locked up in the vault. The kid needs to let loose and live!!!! Go out and your wet son!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Unless we just start calling him Ev, I don't know what other codename to give him that's somewhat related to his abilities.

I do agree with the costume change though.
    The codename doesn't always match the abilities. Take Thunderbird, for example. There's nothing about that name that matches the respective powers of either of the men who held that name. And that is a great name imho. Mystique is another one. Polaris as well. Nova, as originally created, is yet another one still.

You're right. I haven't forgotten how Captain Britain (Brian Braddock) went through that awkward phase where he was called Britanic for a spell. And I guess now he's called Captain Avalon, a name that is almost begging to be changed. Brian was just one of many characters that have a plethora of aliases. Carol Danvers also comes to mind.

But I think, if given proper thought, a writer could come up with a codename for Everett that stuck long-term. It takes creativity, but I think the writers would be up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Synch is an awesome codename. Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.
    I don't hate the name. I'd just prefer to see Everett given a name that shows that's he's no longer a kid. We saw something similar when Claremont decided that it was time for Jean to put away the Marvel Girl moniker and become the Phoenix. My understanding is that initial desire to show that Jean was all grown up is what triggered one of the most epic story arcs in all of comicdom. Maybe we get something equally epic when writers decide to explore Everett's progression?

But I don't hate the name. If another young mutant happens along, sure, go ahead and give that name to them. Synch 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I'd definitely like to see them really delve into the impact of being alive for a hundred years in a hostile environment. I'm not saying we need an "Old Man Logan" style portrayal, but time changes all mortal beings spiritually and mentally. And hard times, even moreso.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

The codename doesn't always match the abilities. Take Thunderbird, for example. There's nothing about that name that matches the respective powers of either of the men who held that name. And that is a great name imho. Mystique is another one. Polaris as well. Nova, as originally created, is yet another one still.
    Mystique's name matches her powers. She's a shapeshifter and that matches the meaning of mystique as her true identity is laced in mystery and secrecy

Okay, sounds like we have our next set if marching orders. Guys let's see if we could come up with a new code name!

I don't hate the name. I'd just prefer to see Everett given a name that shows that's he's no longer a kid. We saw something similar when Claremont decided that it was time for Jean to put away the Marvel Girl moniker and become the Phoenix. My understanding is that initial desire to show that Jean was all grown up is what triggered one of the most epic story arcs in all of comicdom. Maybe we get something equally epic when writers decide to explore Everett's progression?
    Synch isn't a "junior" name that he needs to graduate out of. Other than Moonstar, all of the New Mutants and Generation X-era X-Men are still using their original codenames.