Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    This is Moira MacTaggert all over again, they take a long dead character and redefine them so much that they are unrecognizable from the original. A recycling of the character rather than a revival.

If people find this New Synch much better or interesting that's fine, but i can't see them as the same character anymore. These are now two versions.
    He is same character with some history add on, Cannonball went through something similar I don't see anyone pretending that he is different character. To pretend he is two issue more than Gen X 75 issues, Feels wonky to me but to each their own I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    He is same character with some history add on, Cannonball went through something similar I don't see anyone pretending that he is different character. To pretend he is two issue more than Gen X 75 issues, Feels wonky to me but to each their own I guess
    It honestly feel like some are actually butt hurt at a black man getting a story. Most of the posts i have seen people weren't even familar with everett so i kind of wonder what people expect. Like what exactly would flesh out the history of a dead teen who literally came back to a new world for mutants. Like was he suppose to run around just getting reacquainted with friends that have moved on or had relationships since him. To me that would be kind of creepy. But haters gonna hate. Having something where he is the focus is better than what it seems people were expecting. Him following around a group that has moved beyond him and not getting to find a place in this new world.

And people complaining about his powers growing? Such poor taste. Should they take away Emma diamond form or how about all the other mutants who powers grew and change. Now he is too powerful and different. Suspect.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-01-2021 at 05:15 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Definitely holding on to hope that he'll be on the new X-mean team due to his work in the vault!
    There's nothing I would love more than to see Everett included, and even leading the new X-Men team. Unfortunately There's this nagging thing of history that rears it ugly ass head on x-books. Their perception and execution on heroic black male mutants is damn near Jim crow-ish! Lol.

My biggest disappointment with Ev's most recent appearance in X-Men 19(?) ....WHERE WAS THE AURA?!?!

Other than that: Gorgeous issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    It honestly feel like some are actually butt hurt at a black man getting a story. Most of the posts i have seen people weren't even familar with everett so i kind of wonder what people expect. Like what exactly would flesh out the history of a dead teen who literally came back to a new world for mutants. Like was he suppose to run around just getting reacquainted with friends that have moved on or had relationships since him. To me that would be kind of creepy. But haters gonna hate. Having something where he is the focus is better than what it seems people were expecting. Him following around a group that has moved beyond him and not getting to find a place in this new world.

And people complaining about his powers growing? Such poor taste. Should they take away Emma diamond form or how about all the other mutants who powers grew and change. Now he is too powerful and different. Suspect.
    Come on fam, you know any kind cool elevation of black male heroes is counter programming for many posters. Their minds are blown when confronted with the reality of black males have agency, can be heroes, and leaders, all the thing on between. I'm fully convinced that not bringing in any black male writing talent to the X-office is deliberate and meant to maintain the status quo of a distorted mentality permeating at Marvel's X-Men dept. Not a coincidence that Hickman from outside of that influence comes in and writes a good showing for Synch and people are coming up with all kinds of trash, masking the negative intentions.

Someone needs to tell Gaia her hero is back!

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I have not always kept up with the character. When did that particular Cannonball event/story happend which redefined him via spending livestimes in another world?

However. The history part is where the catch is for me. Because it doesn't feel like history added to the character, but the character being redefined with a new "more important" history. Because the new one is supposed to overshadow said previous history, because those 16-18 years are now "peanuts" compared to the more majestic 100 years he spend in the Vault. The same way that the 40 or so years of the original Moira MacTaggert have become meaningless to the massive 9 lifetimes that the Hox/Pox retcon gave to New Moira.

To me it feels like a character gets radically altered here to fit into the new mold that Hickman wants, not to improve the character, not to tell new stories with the character based on old one (to expand the continuity of them), but to make them a better chess piece in the singular concept based narrative he is using. Taking characters and turning them into walking narration boxes (and power dispensers) to express the same kind of dialoge all other characters are expressing in order to streamline everything into the one direction he wants things to take regardess of how well they make sense with the past history of characters or the world.

This feels like Hickman's attempt at making a Foundation style series for the third time (after Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates and Avengers), using an allready existing property as basis, in order to bank on it's history and fanbase or not having to create too much from scratch. Yet falling into the same trappings as the Foundation does for it's characters, making them all too similar, flat and underdeveloped, because they aren't important as characters to the story, but to be devices for the story to progress.

And characters like Synch and Moira who had been dead for decades and relative unknowns to pop culture so far, seem to be far easier to use that way than the characters who were alive this whole time and are known to the public, since without any newer direction attached to them and people having almost forgotten them, he can just remold them into new characters for his current story (compare X-23 who is reverted back because she needs to fit into the mainstream image the character allready had via cartoons, video games and a movie).

I think what bothers me here with Synch is something with bothers me about the whole Hickman era, that characters and their history/progression are radically altered to serve the story formost, rather than having the story serving to present or improve the characters.
    And making them less, rather than more regardless of how much they get stronger, because they only get stronger to be more impressive looking devices to the overarching "grand epic sci-fi" story he tries to tell. An alteration to the X-men franchise which looks more like a detour than a true new direction and will finish at a dead end from which following writers need to reverse and get back on track.

Synch having more experience and better controll over an improved version of his powers is great. But i feel the characters gets replaced with a new version for it, since it's not for the character it's happening but for the overall world narrative. Especialy since all these improvements might turn out gone or a hinderance once Hickman's run is over and status quo comes back with vengance. So it's more a case of seeing something emblematic i percieve as a problem than something specifically related to this character alone.

Though perhaps i should have more faith in future writers to make something better out of this new version of the character, so yes to each their own.
    I just hope this isn't an express ticket back into Limbo for him.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-01-2021 at 06:21 AM.

One thing for sure is that I need to see more of the aura. I don't know. If it's the artist or the colorist but they dropping the ball when it comes to the aura. That's really my only complaint regarding the last 2 issues of X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    One thing for sure is that I need to see more of the aura. I don't know. If it's the artist or the colorist but they dropping the ball when it comes to the aura. That's really my only complaint regarding the last 2 issues of X-Men.
    Maybe they wanted to keep a somber and bleak aura, just the mood of the story
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Oh no! I'm taking away everybody agency. Synch/Wolverine
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

What a wonderful selfie

I would hope Synch gets on the X-Men team as well. I love all the Gen X through backs in this era.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Nice artwork bro but be careful since it's all gross for Synch an Laura to be a couple for some ppl, you may end up starting a riot.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I actually like that his synch-aura is subtle, now. I could see how in the 90s it was cool to have it bold and showy for visual effect but now, with him having greater control, it's one of those signatures that could probably be turned up or down depending on the circumstance.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    What a wonderful selfie
    Glad you got it was a memory selfie. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Nice artwork bro but be careful since it's all gross for Synch an Laura to be a couple for some ppl, you may end up starting a riot.
    Thanks appreciate it. If those people find it gross it sounds like a personal problem for them. Could honestly care less. lol
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.